Charles Xavier

Re: Front Wall Diffusion Products
« Reply #40 on: 14 Aug 2023, 11:46 am »
I was getting dizzy

Mr. Big

« Reply #41 on: 14 Aug 2023, 01:55 pm »
I was getting dizzy

Looks nice! I could not even think about trying the ceiling at 72.

If I might suggest. I would go with the upper wall corners on your front wall, they will make a vast sonic improvement a must-have IMO and most of all experience. I don't even have my new GIK impression panels up with just my past panels standing on the floor around the room. While they were better than nothing and helped, of course, it was when my upper ceiling panels arrived and I put them up that I could really catch what they did from the room acoustics and it was major. My past ones were room tune ones from 25 years ago and they were much smaller than my current ones that I posted here. $170.00 only for a pair.

« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2023, 06:23 pm by Mr. Big »

DaveWin88

« Reply #42 on: 15 Aug 2023, 12:16 am »
Looks nice! I could not even think about trying the ceiling at 72.

If I might suggest. I would go with the upper wall corners on your front wall, they will make a vast sonic improvement a must-have IMO and most of all experience. I don't even have my new GIK impression panels up with just my past panels standing on the floor around the room. While they were better than nothing and helped, of course, it was when my upper ceiling panels arrived and I put them up that I could really catch what they did from the room acoustics and it was major. My past ones were room tune ones from 25 years ago and they were much smaller than my current ones that I posted here. $170.00 only for a pair.

Charles Xavier Thank you for fixing the image. Mr Big I hear you. I'm 62 and the first one dang near took me out. I definitely getting these (the grey is back ordered) they do really well all the way to 4k, so it's a win win. I have 12 panels right now. I know that sounds like a lot. Only three of them are mounted, so I can remove some of the others if necessary. If you have ever listened to Dennis Foley, who really does know his stuff, it can require a lot of coverage. On a side note. I was listening to Steve Guttenberg and Herb Reichert. Man these guys are some of the best audio guys alive. They have so much depth and knowledge, and really do understand that listening to music if far more than just some of the gear we use. Made me appreciate what I have far more than I have been. 
Great video with Dennis. His solutions are very expensive, so maybe more pro oriented, but the information is all the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42ABushctZQ&t=1s

Mr. Big

« Reply #43 on: 15 Aug 2023, 03:11 pm »
Charles Xavier Thank you for fixing the image. Mr Big I hear you. I'm 62 and the first one dang near took me out. I definitely getting these (the grey is back ordered) they do really well all the way to 4k, so it's a win win. I have 12 panels right now. I know that sounds like a lot. Only three of them are mounted, so I can remove some of the others if necessary. If you have ever listened to Dennis Foley, who really does know his stuff, it can require a lot of coverage. On a side note. I was listening to Steve Guttenberg and Herb Reichert. Man these guys are some of the best audio guys alive. They have so much depth and knowledge, and really do understand that listening to music if far more than just some of the gear we use. Made me appreciate what I have far more than I have been. 
Great video with Dennis. His solutions are very expensive, so maybe more pro oriented, but the information is all the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42ABushctZQ&t=1s

Excellent and true!! I watch Dennis's videos all the time. Very informative, yes he focuses on studios but we audiophiles can learn from them and do the best we can within reason and budget. Where he is 100% is you have to use acoustic treatments and as many as you can afford, I say quantity (more) over the overpriced ones that can keep many from even trying them. Corners bass traps at $1300 each and you need 2 per corner can be off-setting but you can buy another brand like GIK for a couple of hundred only and they come in sets of 2.
https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-244-bass-trap-flexrange-technology/
or for a bit more.
https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/impression-series-corner-bass-trap/

Then several of the in the key areas around your room.
https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/impression-4inch-bass-trap-diffusor-absorber/

And your total cost would be as much as one or two corner panels for "audiophile" branded ones as I purchased years ago. No knock on them they worked but today some 15 years later you now have many alternatives. Like:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/Primacoustic
https://www.primacoustic.com/series/broadway/

My feeling is if you are going to buy gear that is expensive no matter your budget it's still cash out of your pockets that invest in products that will bring out the best of the gear and most of all the speakers you have paid for. As I write this my M3's Shappires have never sounded better, with no brightness, but transparency, no bass bloat, buy impact, textured, tight and dynamics, vocals as real and warm as the recording allows. Horns, trumpets with a bite but also tone and color, and violins, sweet, bite, and the bowing rosin sound, are all there in a dynamic natural way. It sounds so good with the addition of the upper tri-corner panels I could leave everything as it is, but that looks ugly just sitting on the floor leaning against the walls so when my new ones arrive up they go on the walls, he told me this advise, if you cannot use a lot of panels have them from the bottom of your baseboard at least 20" from the base board, the sound builds up higher on the walls and that bounces off the ceiling so try to mitigate that bounce that reverbs around your room. I can hear it now that I am used to what I had before, it's a faint swell of the sound/reverb above my head but straight on in front of me is rock solid.

I must add this I have never seen a company as good as Sweetwater where I purchased my upper corner tri-panels. You talk about customer care, for my small order they called to thank me, give me their call back number if I had questions, shipped the next day, along with the tracking number, and when Fed-X dropped the box off I was shocked, the size of the box was twice the sizes of the product inside when I opened it the bubble wrap they used would and protected a small amplifier all that protection for 2 corner panels. They got my business moving forward.

Early B.

« Reply #44 on: 16 Aug 2023, 03:35 am »
Got a question -- I have "natural diffusers" behind my speakers (built-in bookshelves), but in between the speakers is a 65" flat-screen TV. However, the TV is essentially hanging on the wall (actually a few inches from it). The front baffles of my speakers are 44 inches from the TV. The TV may not be an issue since it's basically part of the front wall. Nonetheless, I'm wondering if there's any benefit to hanging two 24x24 wood QRD diffusers over the TV??

Mr. Big

« Reply #45 on: 16 Aug 2023, 02:37 pm »
Got a question -- I have "natural diffusers" behind my speakers (built-in bookshelves), but in between the speakers is a 65" flat-screen TV. However, the TV is essentially hanging on the wall (actually a few inches from it). The front baffles of my speakers are 44 inches from the TV. The TV may not be an issue since it's basically part of the front wall. Nonetheless, I'm wondering if there's any benefit to hanging two 24x24 wood QRD diffusers over the TV??

The wall with a TV on it in-between your speakers is reflective. Same as if you had a window back there. I would at least cover it the TV, but then if you are OK with the sound then leave it as is. In the end it's what makes you happy and enjoyable. One reason I purchased my house was the upper loft the overlooked the family room below. I could now have a space for audio only with my TV system downstairs with its sound base connected to 3 subs. Better sounding than any sound bar though I don't the surround sound effect, but I do get dynamic full body sound. In the prior post here, there is a great video link take the time to watch it.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #46 on: 16 Aug 2023, 03:44 pm »
This is what I have

Mr. Big

« Reply #47 on: 16 Aug 2023, 05:55 pm »
The 1st delivery of my new GIK panels arrived today, still waiting for one more box of the wider ones. They look great and are well built, no sloppy work. I finished putting them up today. They look good the room is very quiet, and the details and decay of tones and instruments are outstanding. I pulled my old bass traps, and I ordered newer ones that are tri-corner in design. So, without the Bass traps in the corners, the bass is much less dynamic and weighty. Which I knew to be the case having used my bass traps for 15 years and taken them in and out at times and they go back fast, having said that the bass is very clean and detailed, but the grunt dynamics are lessened. You could say more midrange centric.  2nd order arrived with the extra 4" impression panels and the lower corner demi-bas traps. Will try those or I may go back to the full-size bass traps depending on the impact on the overall sound.

« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2023, 02:12 pm by Mr. Big »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #48 on: 17 Aug 2023, 08:05 pm »
Those are beautiful.  Looks great on the wall!

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #49 on: 25 Aug 2023, 12:34 am »
The 1st delivery of my new GIK panels arrived today, still waiting for one more box of the wider ones. They look great and are well built, no sloppy work. I finished putting them up today. They look good the room is very quiet, and the details and decay of tones and instruments are outstanding. I pulled my old bass traps and I order newer ones that are tri-corner in design. So, without the Bass traps in the corners, the bass is much less dynamic and weighty. Which I knew to be the case having used my bass traps for 15 years and taken them in and out at times and they go back fast, but having said that the bass is very clean and detailed, but the grunt dynamics are lessened. You could say more midrange centric.

Very nice setup!

KevinK

« Reply #50 on: 15 Apr 2024, 03:26 pm »
Hi Tom, I know this is an old post and pre-hurricane photo. But I’m curious what sound bar you were running on the wall there under the TV. In our new house I’ve got a bit of a space challenge for a center channel.

TomS

« Reply #51 on: 15 Apr 2024, 10:18 pm »
Hi Tom, I know this is an old post and pre-hurricane photo. But I’m curious what sound bar you were running on the wall there under the TV. In our new house I’ve got a bit of a space challenge for a center channel.

It is a passive GoldenEar SuperCinema 3d Array XL
https://www.goldenear.com/on-wall-speakers/super-cinema-series/super-cinema-3d-array-xl

It's sitting in storage doing nothing now, so if you're interested in one I could make a smokin' deal. Unfortunately, I don't have the box any longer.

TomS

« Reply #52 on: 21 Apr 2024, 12:45 am »
Kevin, sent you a PM

jnschneyer

« Reply #53 on: 23 Apr 2024, 12:01 am »
The 1st delivery of my new GIK panels arrived today, still waiting for one more box of the wider ones. They look great and are well built, no sloppy work. I finished putting them up today. They look good the room is very quiet, and the details and decay of tones and instruments are outstanding. I pulled my old bass traps, and I ordered newer ones that are tri-corner in design. So, without the Bass traps in the corners, the bass is much less dynamic and weighty. Which I knew to be the case having used my bass traps for 15 years and taken them in and out at times and they go back fast, having said that the bass is very clean and detailed, but the grunt dynamics are lessened. You could say more midrange centric.  2nd order arrived with the extra 4" impression panels and the lower corner demi-bas traps. Will try those or I may go back to the full-size bass traps depending on the impact on the overall sound.

Really nice.  I especially like how your gear is set up.  Really clean.  I've got the walnut X5s.  Love the finish.

drummermitchell

« Reply #54 on: 23 Apr 2024, 01:04 am »
Curious,
From the years I see diffusion as slats.cubes ect.,diffusion well depths ect.
Do these newer designs actually do true diffusion or is it just DECOR type of whatever.
Even books shifted out might be better.
I’m thinking just home decor patterns to make you believe that it’s actual diffusion.
I think my plants can do just as well,you tell me.
If the older diffusion products give true audio benefits,why do these decor designs give the same so called benefits.
EX:GIK
Semis. Like true marketing BS

drummermitchell

« Reply #55 on: 23 Apr 2024, 01:14 am »
Does gik even come on here anymore.
Please enlighten me with different slat well depths,cubes,and then we have your so called diffusion patterns,
Appreciate the truth with diffusion.
Do your decor pattern do the same type of diffusion as slat/well diffusion.
We’re audiophiles and besides marketing tell the truth as all we really want is to Enjoy our music the best we can without BS.
Just Be Honest
Or Diffuse the Situation.

drummermitchell

« Reply #56 on: 23 Apr 2024, 01:55 am »
Yes I’m a prick,
Bass traps you need mass and depth not 2’ width panels.
Bass frequencies are low and WIDE not like tweeters that are more pin pointed.
Sunami wave compared to a light house.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #57 on: 23 Apr 2024, 04:55 am »
Does gik even come on here anymore.
Please enlighten me with different slat well depths,cubes,and then we have your so called diffusion patterns,
Appreciate the truth with diffusion.
Do your decor pattern do the same type of diffusion as slat/well diffusion.
We’re audiophiles and besides marketing tell the truth as all we really want is to Enjoy our music the best we can without BS.
Just Be Honest
Or Diffuse the Situation.

I share your curiosity concerning various diffusion products. However, this is the Spatial Audio Circle and not the GIK Circle. Don’t you think it’s more appropriate to ask GIK in their own circle?

Respectfully,

Michael