Anyone running with separate amp and active crossover for their bass drivers

Bumpy

The Altec 416 of very good quality could be tuned from 80 Hz to 2 Khz and use a loudspeaker for bass with high QTS to reproduce the bass.
I will try to find a good quality speaker in 10 " whatever his QTS, there I think will be the right solution, the pickups when taking his sound were 2 m from the speaker.

Thanks for the advice Gilles, but this wont work for me. My mid range driver works beautifully down to about 100Hz and has the added sonic benefit that it does not require a crossover. So I would just need a quality sub up to 100Hz. I will give the Altec 416 a go with DSP.

If that fails, this driver has caught my eye.

http://www.pureaudioproject.com/product/15inch-open-baffle-bass-woofers/

Or this

https://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/faitalpro-15pr400-8ohm-15-400watt-pa-speaker-p-1381.html

« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2019, 03:06 pm by Bumpy »

gab

Or this

https://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/faitalpro-15pr400-8ohm-15-400watt-pa-speaker-p-1381.html

Study the Troels Graveson site for his OBL-11 and OBL-15 designs. The OBL-15 uses the 15PF400 driver and the crossover components are listed.

gab

Bumpy

Thanks Gab for the link. At about 100Hz I suspect I will be crossing a lot lower than Troels

Bumpy

Does anyone have any views on which driver is best up to say 120hz?

I am gravitating towards the Pure Audio which was optimised for open baffle

matevana

Does anyone have any views on which driver is best up to say 120hz?

I am gravitating towards the Pure Audio which was optimised for open baffle

Honestly, I'd love to get my hands on a pair of Altec 416's. I think you should definitely give the DSP option a try before moving on to another bass driver. Even a dedicated plate amp w/xo should do the trick (you can opt for built-in boost around 25Hz if you like) 

gils

:thumb:

My infraflex + Altec 416  (VOTT) ;)

best regards

gils

:scratch:

hello,

I listened to Altec 416 8b, it's a fairly common HP, why this obsolete HP not found?

http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/search/14.0_size_in_15.0/4_z_8/95.0_spl_118.0/8_fs_35/0.30_qts_0.70

best regards Gilles

JDUBS

I use a wyred4sound mpre with its dual outputs....one set goes to an amp that drives a passive crossover-based "upper" section (the top part of GR Research's Super Vj....a 2-way coaxial) and the other set goes to an iNuke for powering my bass speakerss (sealed kit based on the Dayton Audio 12" Reference Series driver). 

The upper sections rolls in at ~190hz and the lower section covers 20hz to 190hz.  I use the DSP of the iNuke to room correct the bass response....and with only 1.3ms added delay, it really blends seemlessly with the upper section.

I really love the setup.

-Jim

Bumpy

I use a wyred4sound mpre with its dual outputs....one set goes to an amp that drives a passive crossover-based "upper" section (the top part of GR Research's Super Vj....a 2-way coaxial) and the other set goes to an iNuke for powering my bass speakerss (sealed kit based on the Dayton Audio 12" Reference Series driver). 

The upper sections rolls in at ~190hz and the lower section covers 20hz to 190hz.  I use the DSP of the iNuke to room correct the bass response....and with only 1.3ms added delay, it really blends seemlessly with the upper section.

I really love the setup.

-Jim

Thanks for sharing Jim. You are 'lucky' enough to have a preamp with dual RCA outputs - nice feature.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Any preamp can drive a main amp and a sub amp - you just need a good quality Y-spitter. 

JDUBS

Thanks for sharing Jim. You are 'lucky' enough to have a preamp with dual RCA outputs - nice feature.

Yeah, its a great preamp.  It has a pair of balanced AND unbalanced outputs!

-Jim
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2019, 06:55 pm by JDUBS »

rajacat

• Washington State
I use a Crown XLS 1502 with its built in crossover to power my AE TD15M 15" drivers. Sounds good to me and worth the trade off and nerdy hassle of trying to formulate a traditional crossover.

erkki

I am using passive XO in mid/high coaxial driver.  Bass/mid XO is active, with 2x4HD. Amplifier: Denon AV amp, modified to separate pre-out from main amp inputs. Something like 100W/ch. MiniDSP provides the XO and baffle EQ for all channels. Also moderate room EQ.
Bass unit has 20cm U-frame, but mid is in open baffle area.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121548.msg1687771#msg1687771

Bumpy

I use a Crown XLS 1502 with its built in crossover to power my AE TD15M 15" drivers. Sounds good to me and worth the trade off and nerdy hassle of trying to formulate a traditional crossover.

Does it have a fan?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
BTW, the GR Research Super 7 kit with active bass already built out for you is now shipping.  Check out the GR Research circle here on AC.  In addition, I see that Spatial Audio just announced the X3 and X5, both of which will have active bass sections.

rajacat

• Washington State
Does it have a fan?
I believe that my two Crowns have fans but I've never heard them probably because I don't push them very hard. I use one for my 15'" woofs and the other for a pair of folded horn subs. My tweets run off of Heathkit monoblocks or small digital amp with a pair of Fostex transformer attenuators and with no crossovers.

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
I am working on a Pass SLOB (Slot Loaded Open Baffle) with a 15" Eminence driver on the bottom and a Cube Audio FC8 full range driver on the top.  Jeff McCabe will build the cabinets for me.  The X-Over will be built into a DIY preamp using PC boards from DIYAudio, and Pass's LxMini and NuTube circuits.  The NuTube will provide the gain, volume and balance controls and input selector switching.  The LXMini will provide the crossover and EQ, based on Pass's experiments at his studio in Sea Ranch, CA.  Level setting between the upper and lower amps will be accomplished using pink noise, an iPhone hosted RTM app, and the Studio Six Digital iTestMic2.

Amplifiers: Low pass: Aleph 5 (90 watts) and DIY First Watt F5 Turbo V2 (140 watts).  High pass: First Watt J2 (25 watts), DIY Pass / Sony VFET (15 watts), and an Elekit TU-8600 (9 300B watts). 

Here's some pics:

Shakeydeal

As Tyson mentioned several months ago in this thread, the Spatial Audio X-3 has now hit the streets. This is a fantastic OB speaker with powered 15" woofer onboard. If anyone is looking for something like that, I highly recommend it.

Shakey