Beware!!! Psychoacoustics at work...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC

sts9fan

Re: Beware!!! Psychoacoustics at work...
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2011, 04:16 pm »
And yet giant glowing tubes or 2ga power cords do not cause any bias.  Don't believe that rag. 

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2011, 04:28 pm »
Sorry, but I heard BA both ways.  And if they want to do it right, don't TELL us what we're going to hear BEFORE we watch the video!  Sheesh!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2011, 04:35 pm »
Sorry, but I heard BA both ways.  And if they want to do it right, don't TELL us what we're going to hear BEFORE we watch the video!  Sheesh!
Do you think you hear it both ways BECAUSE you knew the word is "Ba"?  Everyone that I have shown the video to without context has heard "Da".  That would be about 20 people.  You are special, I guess.

Nice avatar  :o

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2011, 04:36 pm »
And yet giant glowing tubes or 2ga power cords do not cause any bias.  Don't believe that rag.
Somehow I knew you would be here.

Dave

genjamon

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2011, 04:36 pm »
Well, I heard Ga with eyes open and Ba with eyes closed...  Where did Da come from?

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2011, 04:38 pm »
yeah.  I heard Da then Ba. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2011, 04:41 pm »
Well, I heard Ga with eyes open and Ba with eyes closed...  Where did Da come from?
Intellectual bias overshadowed the visual bias.  Show it to someone that does not expect the outcome.  That is what blind testing is all about you know.  I thought that is what ABX is all about.

Dave

genjamon

« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2011, 04:56 pm »
Intellectual bias overshadowed the visual bias.  Show it to someone that does not expect the outcome.  That is what blind testing is all about you know.  I thought that is what ABX is all about.

Dave

I'm not so sure.  Nathan's warning led me to look for the video before listening to the podcast.  I didn't know exactly what I was supposed to be listening for.  Still, interesting effect all the same.  I definitely heard differently with eyes open than eyes closed.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: 8 Mar 2011, 05:07 pm »
I'm not so sure.  Nathan's warning led me to look for the video before listening to the podcast.  I didn't know exactly what I was supposed to be listening for.  Still, interesting effect all the same.  I definitely heard differently with eyes open than eyes closed.
Screwed with your head nonetheless, huh?   :D  Our brains are curious domains. 

Interesting the outcomes AND the responses to my original post so far. 

Dave

sebrof

« Reply #10 on: 8 Mar 2011, 05:34 pm »
Here's another link. I"ve had this one bookmarked for a while.
I think this is pretty powerful stuff, and whenever I make a change to my system and think I hear some subtle difference I always think of this. I personally believe we think we hear a lot more than we actually hear. Or maybe we actually do hear a difference, but there is no difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypd5txtGdGw

TomW16

« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar 2011, 11:10 pm »
That is pretty cool!  When I opened my eyes and closed my eyes I heard it differently every time.  Despite the fact that I knew it was the same my visual stimulus distorted what I actually heard.

Thanks!

borism

« Reply #12 on: 8 Mar 2011, 11:44 pm »
Great stuff! Very thought provoking regarding certainties we believe we are hearing.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #13 on: 9 Mar 2011, 12:44 am »
Here's another link. I"ve had this one bookmarked for a while.
I think this is pretty powerful stuff, and whenever I make a change to my system and think I hear some subtle difference I always think of this. I personally believe we think we hear a lot more than we actually hear. Or maybe we actually do hear a difference, but there is no difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypd5txtGdGw

Interesting. Watch the video. The professor only ever says "Ba Ba Ba."

If I close my eyes, that's all I ever hear....unless I think of "Fa Fa Fa." Even without sight, one can be fooled. Food for thought, to be sure.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #14 on: 9 Mar 2011, 12:49 am »

Nathan,

Funny you mention that. a old hi fi sales trick (I spent 10 years on the retail sales floor.) Play two components for the customer. Give the customer zero expectations before playing the first component. Make sure to give the customer expectations before playing the second component (deeper bass, tighter bass, better dynamics, whatever.) The customer will choose the second component every time. Unless of course, you do it again, then they will buy the third...