Did I make the wrong decision?

Mag

« on: 17 May 2005, 02:06 am »
I just purchused a 3B-SST. For $200 more plus tax I could have had a 4B-SST. Its begining to nah at my brain. I just didn't want to spend anymore money at the time, but logically I think I made a bad decision. What do you think? :(

Levi

« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2005, 03:45 am »
What do you think of the 3BSSTs' performance?  If you don't think it sounded good, then you wasted your money :D

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2005, 05:16 am »
No complaints about the sound. The 4B is 300w and the 3B 150w, I have no problems with lack of power from the 3B. So maybe those extra watts I would never use and thus no point in paying for them, dunno. And the 4B might draw to much current from the power outlet and I'd need to use an extension cord to another outlet.

Ron D

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2005, 06:08 am »
go back and pony up the money!!!! The 4B offers more opportunity in case there are other upgrades later on having all that reserve power at your hands.

$200 was a gift = go back right now!

I speak from experience moving up the Bryston chain over the years...

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2005, 06:11 am »
You made the wrong desicion.

jimmyp58

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2005, 10:46 am »
I'd say that you should spend the extra $200 but what kind of speakers do you have the amp pushing?

Yogus

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2005, 11:27 am »
I had the same decision to make... 3b vs 4b.

I went for the 4b b/c I knew the same thing would eat at me for years to come.

Do i think about a 7b??? nah...  :D

But i sure do think about PMC OB1s which I should have got instead of FB1s :(

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2005, 01:24 pm »
I'm powering Paradigm Studio 100 v2 with the Bryston 3BSST.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I understand the Inspection Test results which came with the amp. The amp will start to clip at 74 watts producing 114 DB. Now at the volume I play music at I figure at the most I'm only using 5 watts of power certainly not more than 10. If this is correct I would never come close to using the extra watts in a 4B, so why pay for them?

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2005, 01:55 pm »
Please correct me on my assumptions.  Sonically, the 3BSST, 4BSST, 9BSST are similar. Upgrading from 3BSST to 4BSST may not yield better sonic performance compaired to the 14BSST or the 7BSST upgrade.  

$200 dollars may not seem a lot.  Considering your speaker load.  You may not get better performance sonically upgrading from 3BSST to 4BSST.  Save your $200 for the 7BSST or 14BSST or other stuff :D

Enlighten me :lol:

KJ

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2005, 02:05 pm »
Quote from: Mag
I'm powering Paradigm Studio 100 v2 with the Bryston 3BSST.

You definitely won't have any issues powering those with a 3B-SST.  Also, look at the spec sheet that came with your amp.  Bryston conservatively rates their amps and I'd bet you are getting quite a bit more (my 3B-ST maxes out at 152wpc and is rated at 120wpc).

That said, I think you should have spent the extra $200+ simply because of any future speaker changes you make.

-KJ

KJ

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2005, 02:07 pm »
Quote from: Levi
Please correct me on my assumptions. Sonically, the 3BSST, 4BSST, 9BSST are similar. Upgrading from 3BSST to 4BSST may not yield better sonic performance compaired to the 14BSST or the 7BSST upgrade.

No correction needed Levi, you're dead on.  Per James, there are no sonic benefits with the higher models.

-KJ

dan_lo

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2005, 05:53 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I understand the Inspection Test results which came with the amp. The amp will start to clip at 74 watts producing 114 DB. Now at the volume I play music at I figure at the most I'm only using 5 watts of power certainly not more than 10. If this is correct I would never come close to using the extra watts in a 4B, so why pay for them?

I'm correcting you.
First - the amp will not clip at 74W . It will probably clip only when it reaches ~170W into 8 ohms.

Second - unless you listen at low volume, you probably use more than 5W temporarily. Check the thread about amplifier power for more details.

ScottMayo

« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2005, 07:01 pm »
Nearfield listening to quiet music from efficient, non-reactive speakers might only use 5W - and there's plenty of folk who pull this off daily, with tube amps. Some of those systems top out at 10W/ch, and do a wonderful job if you're into that sort of thing.

Inefficient, reactive speakers filling a room with complex sound at reasonable volume - a common situation for audiophiles - will frequently demand much more. Go with the speaker manufacturer's recommendations; the ones that gobble up power freely admit it.

It's true that buying more amp than you need is a waste. On the other hand, I might use the top 200W of my amps once a month, but when I want 'em, I want 'em.

WerTicus

« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2005, 07:23 pm »
more power is always good. if it was only 200 bucks you made the wrong choice... :(

audioslave

wrong choice?
« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2005, 08:56 pm »
Absolute power corrupts(the wallet) absolutely :lol:
I say go for it....especially given that the Studio 100 V.2's are not that efficient. I should know because I lived with them for a year. Hey, $200 for peace of mind is worth it, right?

jimmyp58

« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2005, 10:46 am »
KJ is dead-on.

Rich Carlson

« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2005, 12:54 am »
The 3B-SST is a great amp.  Are you happy listening to it? Then be happy :)
Unless you listen at insane levels, or have a huge room, there aren't that many speakers for which the extra power will matter.  Buy $200 worth of music, and enjoy ...