Integrated: Pass Labs vs Aesthetix Mimas

Audioclyde

Integrated: Pass Labs vs Aesthetix Mimas
« on: 3 Feb 2024, 07:58 pm »
So, I’m downsizing/simplifying and looking to replace my Audio Note Quest Silver 300B mono amps and Manley Neo Classic 300B pre with an integrated. Speakers are Daedalus DA-RMas and REL Stratus III sub. Will also be getting rid of my McIntosh MC-152 amp that is used in summer months.

My source is the Aesthetix Audio Romulus Signature DAC.  So I’m familiar with Aesthetix Audio products and really like the DAC.

I’ve read lots of great things about the Aesthetix Mimas integrated, as well as Pass Labs Int-25 and Int-60…..virtually no high end audio dealers nearby (eastern Oklahoma), so no real easy ways to audition.

Just thought I’d see if anyone has any experience or thoughts re the integrateds mentioned above. I’ve previously had an Accuphase (although with different speakers), which I liked, but I’m really curious about the Mimas and the Pass Labs integrateds.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Re: Integrated: Pass Labs vs Aesthetix Mimas
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2024, 08:02 pm »
Come to Dallas in March, you'll get to hear a lot of integrated amps at the show.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=188391.0

Audioclyde

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2024, 08:13 pm »
Thanks; looking into that now!  Wife has to be at market nearby for her job immediately after that.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2024, 01:59 am »
Nice gear there.  Definitely give Pass a listen.  I own a Pass X250 amp and have owned one of their preamps.  Every Pass amp sounds somewhat different from the ones I have heard. I am partial to the Int. 60  vs the 25 just because of the higher power rating even though your speakers have a sensitivity of 95dB and 8ohm.  You never know when you will upgrade speakers and you will have more options with the higher power.  Just remember, the Pass amps run mostly in class A and they give off heat.  Something to consider in the hot Oklahoma weather. 

What is your budget?

By the way, I am an Oklahoma State Alum. Go Pokes!  I lived in Stillwater for 5 years and then another 6 years in Tulsa. 

Audioclyde

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2024, 03:23 am »
Thanks Greyhound Fan. I want to hopefully spend somewhere around what I net for my Audio Note amps, the Mac amp and the Pass preamp….not sure what those pieces will bring on the used market (plus all will be heavy to ship). But I hope I’ll have something in the $7-9k range.

I spent a lot of time in Stillwater doing FFA events in high school, and my oldest daughter went there….but I grew up a Sooner fan 😂—but went out of state to college.

Audioclyde

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2024, 02:38 am »
Anyone have the chance to listen to the Pass Int-25 and the older Int-30A?

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2024, 02:52 am »
I’ve owned the XA30.5, INT-30A, XA30.8, INT-150, XA-25, and nearly all the First Watt amps at various times. The only amp I have ever recommended to anyone, with absolutely no reservations (well…unless you need a ridiculously massive amount of power, which most simply don’t), is the XA-25. AMAZING amplifier. I will never sell mine unless Nelson makes an even better version. It is a bit of an outlier in the line as it uses unique output devices. I can’t remember what they’re called, but they’re not the mosfets nor jfets which Nelson has used in various combinations over the years. Apparently these special output devices play a key role in this particular amp’s performance. As you know, the INT-25 is the XA-25, but with a simple preamp stage built in. I just can’t recommend the XA-25 highly enough, which makes the INT-25 an easy recommendation too. Definitely give it a try before you settle down with anything else.

Audioclyde

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2024, 03:03 am »
Thanks RD, much appreciated. The preamp outs and balance control of the 30A are appealing, but I’ve read a lot of similar assessments of the 25’s great sound.

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2024, 03:14 am »
The 30A is a very good amp and I can understand wanting the convenience / flexibility features it has vs the 25. Still, in this case, I would recommend getting an XA-25 and a preamp over the INT-30A if you really need those features you mentioned.