Solid state preamp/dac/streamer

Denton J

Solid state preamp/dac/streamer
« on: 1 Jun 2023, 01:07 am »
I could use a preamp in my utility system in my living room.  The amp is an AB amp. Looking at Crutchfields website there are a handful of solid states that won't break the bank & offer the pre/dac/stream combo.  I'm also looking at Gato PRD-35 model but at a higher price point (class D). Does anyone have any recommendations?  I can get separate items but I'll need the DAC & Streamer too. Almost forgot, I'd prefer XLS outputs to connect to the amp.

update: I picked up a Cambridge CXN V2 & I'm not thrilled with the sound. I'll probably use it as only a streamer.  I didn't have high expectations to begin with, that's how disappointed I was.

2nd edit. I replaced my amp with a Denafrips Apollo and there was life in my system again. I'm looking to get a DAC but the Cambridge can stay as a streamer only.
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2023, 10:17 pm by Denton J »

snowblind

Re: Solid state preamp/dac/streamer
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2023, 03:15 am »
I've used a NAD M12 preamp/DAC/streamer for the last few years and I love it. I use it with an Accustic Arts CD transport, the internet, and a server in my basement. The BluOS software makes it easy to switch between local files, Spotify, and a bunch of BluOS content.

The M12 has one set of analog XLR inputs, one set of phono inputs, one set of RCA inputs, all the digital inputs, a decent information display, and a really excellent remote control. It also has the XLR outputs you're looking for you're looking for and stereo subwoofer outputs.

Best,
Matt

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2023, 04:25 pm »
Primare offers a SC15 streamer/DAC/pre-amp.

Denton J

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2023, 05:06 am »
I tried using the Cambridge as only a streamer and paired it with a pricey dac but there was too much jitter. Now I'm looking at different streamers. Might give the wife the cambridge to use as an office set up.

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2023, 08:18 am »
PS Audio Stellar Strata comes to mind.

AllanS

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2023, 07:45 pm »
PS Audio Stellar Strata comes to mind.
Interesting that you’d suggest that as Paul McGowan dropped a video today talking about just that.
https://youtu.be/DagxnzUwyRE

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2023, 08:21 pm »
How many inputs do you need in that system and what is the mix of digital vs analog inputs required?

I ask, as in my own setup I use an older Wadia DAC/Pre (di122 is the model) and am very happy.  I have a Raspberry Pi acting as the streamer, sending USB signal on to the Wadia.

There are a number of DAC/Pre but many will only have digital inputs - of course not all, and some of the options already shared are excellent.

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2023, 09:55 pm »
I had similar experience with Denafrips amp. Thallos blew away my previous amp despite being only 1/4 the power. My other electronics couldn't keep up so I also replaced my DAC and preamp with Denafrips and I'm so happy. It feels so good to finally have the sound I was chasing after all these years. #finito

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 5 Dec 2023, 11:27 pm »
I tried using the Cambridge as only a streamer and paired it with a pricey dac but there was too much jitter. Now I'm looking at different streamers. Might give the wife the cambridge to use as an office set up.

Take a look at the Lumin D3.  A friend of mine bought one and it sounds superb.  It blew away a Bluesound node in a head to head audition. 

Denton J

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2023, 04:20 am »
Take a look at the Lumin D3.  A friend of mine bought one and it sounds superb.  It blew away a Bluesound node in a head to head audition.

I was looking at Lumens.  I might go this route.  Jitter is the enemy. 

JackD

« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2023, 04:46 am »
Do you still need a combination unit or now just a streamer?

Denton J

« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2023, 04:52 am »
Do you still need a combination unit or now just a streamer?

I can do both, obviously if I get the U2 mini I have to add a DAC with volume or a DAC + preamp.  Trying to not spend a small fortune.

JackD

« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2023, 05:04 am »
Reach out to Amir at Summit HiFi and talk to him about the new Eversolo DMP-A8 as that may be what you're looking for. 

https://summithifiusa.com/products/zidoo-eversolo-dmp-a8-streamer

Denton J

« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2023, 05:13 am »
Reach out to Amir at Summit HiFi and talk to him about the new Eversolo DMP-A8 as that may be what you're looking for. 

Thanks.

AllanS

« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2023, 12:04 pm »
A less obvious option, and maybe not anything close to what you have in mind, is a miniDSP SHD.  Besides Dirac it’s a streaming digital preamp and DAC and not terribly expensive.
I bought one primarily for bass management so didn’t need the full functionality but for an extra few hundred opted for the SHD for times like now when I’m reconfiguring the system.
The folks at Deer Creek Audio were quite helpful.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2023, 12:40 pm »

Product Page:  https://www.eversolo.com/Product/index/model/DMP-A8/target/uXoirEESmeVKKmVViAFMcQ%3D%3D.html

I am getting this in any day now (it is taking forever for USPS to deliver it) and will post my thoughts.

Reviews online are extremely positive. 

George
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2023, 01:53 pm by zybar »

byr2013

« Reply #16 on: 28 Jan 2024, 12:54 am »
Esoteric N-05XD

Mr Peabody

« Reply #17 on: 12 Apr 2024, 07:04 pm »
I have N05xd and love it but he did say he didn't want to break the bank.  The DAC is much better than the one in my Levinson 526.  I'm only using the N05xd for the DAC.  The streaming section was designed by Lumin.  I already had an Aurender for that.

The D3 was a good suggestion.