Tube powering opinions...

bunkertoy

Tube powering opinions...
« on: 5 Jan 2023, 09:55 pm »
Hi Tube lovers,

I used to be fully solid state. Now I'm doing the combo with Bryston 3B cubed and my new purchase of a preowned VTL 2.5 ($1500CDN).

So My procedure for powering gear was ALWAYS, power up preamp,dac, etc first. Then power up the amplifier. Powered down in the reverse order. This appears to be the common approach.
 I like to leave my gear on throughout the weekend, as that is my prime listening time. So I would not turn off the equipment for 3 or 4 days. Now with tube equipment in the mix, I feel leaving the tube preamp on for days is not the best idea. I'm assuming it will quickly shorten the life of my tubes. I really don't feel comfortable powering the preamp on/off while the power amp is still powered up. Maybe I get a pop in my speakers or something.
I'm thinking the opinions will be, just power off the amp along with the preamp. My understanding is that powering the amp on/off frequently puts a strain on caps and switches etc.

Perhaps I'm over thinking the whole thing. Maybe you tube owners can share your approach ?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have. If you think this is a stupid question, please don't reply.  :lol:
Cheers

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Tube powering opinions...
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2023, 10:07 pm »
Turn on first the source after the pre amp, power amp and speakers-sub.
However tube amps cant be let on around the clock for safety reasons.

jtcf

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2023, 10:24 pm »
Why not power everything down every night, turn it back on every morning? That's fewer on off cycles.

rotarius

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2023, 11:24 pm »
You are over thinking this.  You don't want to turn the tube preamp on or off with the power amp on.  You could get away with it if the tube preamp has a relay that mutes the output during power up/down. Otherwise you can expect it to cause damage or loud pops

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2023, 11:32 pm »
Relays dont apply tô tube amps, instead they use Soft Start.

Or better saying they dont use LOL

rotarius

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2023, 11:35 pm »
Yes preamps with output relays is a thing.  He does not have a tube amp.

bunkertoy

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2023, 11:58 pm »
OK fine, Sounds like I need to change my habits and power down all equipment nightly. I really prefer to leave the Power amp on for the entire weekend, but I'll need to make changes now that I own tube gear.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Cheers

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2023, 02:58 am »
Ahem...I can leave my amp(s) on 24/7 and do for the class A/B units.  I do not leave a pure class A amp on as in my eye it's just like leaving a tube amp on all the time.  Huge waste of electricity.  Now in my case the Pass X350.5 stays on.  The AVM monoblock have to be on for three days before they sound good so they stay on too.  I have a pair of Krell KMA-160's and a pair of Monarchy SE-100 delux and these are pure class A so they get shut down when the session is over.  I will say though the Krells and the Monarchy's only need two or three hours to warm up.

I get away with this by using preamps that have a mute circuit that disconnects the outputs.  Thus no pops.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jan 2023, 05:08 am »
Good intel!

Question with a little background:

During the summer, I’ll often have my tube pre and an SS amp. I would prefer to keep the SS amp on 24/7 and the preamp off when not in use. Is there a ’relay switch box’ thingy available which could be connected between the preamp and amp that would not degrade the signal?

Thanks for any assistance!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jan 2023, 05:13 am »
For the wall power I suppose.
It have to be made to order,
it would be a strange device.

mresseguie

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jan 2023, 05:18 am »
Um, no. That’s not what I envisioned. I imagined a box which sits between a preamp and an amp with a switch. This switch would cut the signal from the preamp without causing a pop. The preamp could be turned off safely.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 6 Jan 2023, 05:41 am »
Usually in SS amps is used a resistor after the IEC power plug of a certain value to lower the input rush.

JakeJ

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jan 2023, 11:42 pm »
I think mressequie is envisoning a passive mute box.  This could be constructed with quality components.  Most specifically the switch to disconnect the channels would need to be silent so it could be switched and not make a noise itself.  Make-before-break on off switch?

Hmm, a quick google did not yield what I was thinking of.  I'm thinking a single toggle switch in a small box with in and out RCA connectors.  The switch would be a 2 position, 4 poles, with high quality silver contacts which I would connect to each of the hot signal wires of the interconnects between preamp and amp.

D'zat sound like what you had in mind, Michael?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 7 Jan 2023, 12:31 am »
Yes this was clear but it will add various connections on the music signal, the bump occurs only at the amp power on, CD players dont delivery bumps.

mresseguie

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jan 2023, 12:33 am »
I think mressequie is envisoning a passive mute box.  This could be constructed with quality components.  Most specifically the switch to disconnect the channels would need to be silent so it could be switched and not make a noise itself.  Make-before-break on off switch?

Hmm, a quick google did not yield what I was thinking of.  I'm thinking a single toggle switch in a small box with in and out RCA connectors.  The switch would be a 2 position, 4 poles, with high quality silver contacts which I would connect to each of the hot signal wires of the interconnects between preamp and amp.

D'zat sound like what you had in mind, Michael?

Spot on, JakeJ!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 7 Jan 2023, 03:05 am »
$23 Soft start would solve the prob in the power amp:
https://www.antekinc.com/ss-12-soft-start-module/
SS-12 Soft Start Module  $23.00
SKU: 00000475
Weight:  0.70 LBS
Current Stock: 44

mjosef

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jan 2023, 09:18 pm »
My tube pre has a mute switch when engaged results in no thumps in the downstream amps, on pre power off, at times I need to compare different tubes in the tube pre. If your pre has a mute switch, try it and see if it applies to your pre. My pre is a CAT.