Balanced LDR

Tuckers

Balanced LDR
« on: 10 Oct 2022, 02:04 am »
I'm looking for a balanced LDR solution.  I emailed with Tortuga a while ago and found that this is possible by doubling up the parts.  But this does not seem straightforward, and I don't see a guide for that.  What I ideally need is only one XLR input (could be more though), possibly a buffer (unsure if its needed in my case) One XLR output, Remote control (with display I guess), power supplies.

Does anyone do custom work now?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Balanced LDR
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2022, 01:53 pm »
I'm looking for a balanced LDR solution.  I emailed with Tortuga a while ago and found that this is possible by doubling up the parts.  But this does not seem straightforward, and I don't see a guide for that.  What I ideally need is only one XLR input (could be more though), possibly a buffer (unsure if its needed in my case) One XLR output, Remote control (with display I guess), power supplies.

Does anyone do custom work now?

Yes, you do need a pair of ePot.V3 Max boards for balanced. The reason for this is balanced stereo audio uses 4 channels (2 left & 2 right) rather than just 2 (left & right). Since each Max board only handles 2 channels, 2 boards are required. The rest of our hardware scope (encoder & OLED display etc.) is the same either way so you don't need 2x everything.

That part is straightforward enough but there's no doubt that balanced audio is inherently more complex than single-ended.

A brief overview of balanced audio wiring for the Max can be found in our online product documentation under "Docs". Here's the specific link: https://tortugaaudio.com/docs/epot-v3-balanced-audio-wiring/

I recommend you NOT include a buffer. At least not initially. Get it all working right as a passive attenuator. You can always decide later to add a buffer but if possible make provisions for space within your enclosure for doing so.

Jacks, power supply, enclosures etc are outside of our scope of supply but are available from countless sources.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2022, 03:03 pm »
Yes, you do need a pair of ePot.V3 Max boards for balanced. The reason for this is balanced stereo audio uses 4 channels (2 left & 2 right) rather than just 2 (left & right). Since each Max board only handles 2 channels, 2 boards are required. The rest of our hardware scope (encoder & OLED display etc.) is the same either way so you don't need 2x everything.

For the upcoming ePotV.4 will this still be the case?

I want to start acquiring the rest of the hardware the encoder, OLED display etc. while you develop the ePotV.4 and the new stand-alone linear power supply board.

Can the V.4 be set up with one of the inputs as a "home Theater Pass Through"? 

Keep your feet dry, Thanks

Wayne in Oregon

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2022, 04:07 pm »
For the upcoming ePotV.4 will this still be the case?

Yes. No change from the V3. 2 boards required for balanced.

I want to start acquiring the rest of the hardware the encoder, OLED display etc. while you develop the ePotV.4 and the new stand-alone linear power supply board.
The V4 uses the same encoder and OLED display as the V3

Can the V.4 be set up with one of the inputs as a "home Theater Pass Through"?
Any input can be used as a HT bypass/pass-thru input by simply running the volume up to 100% on the Tortuga and using your HT volume control. There's no actual bypass of the signal per se. The signal does go thru the Tortuga Audio circuit but is not attenuated with volume set to 100%. You are protected against accidentally turning the preamp on next time and forgetting that you had the volume set at 100%. The Tortuga automatically sets volume back down to an initial value when first powered up or when switching inputs. The default max initial value is 60% volume but even this value is user configurable. It can be defeated altogether by setting the value up to 100%.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2022, 05:03 pm »
OP, Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Thank you, Very cool man.

I will start buying parts from you in December :thumb: