Resolution or tone? Is that the choice with the Stratos today?

Jay Decker

Purchase a used Odyssey Stratos in great condition this weekend.  Connected it to some GR X-LS Encore speakers today and started listening.  The combination sounds good and has beautiful tone.  However, the combination does not deliver the same level resolution that I’m used to hearing from these speakers with my Peachtree GaN400 Class D amplifier.  I am not saying the Stratos is sounds bad in anyway, it is just an interesting comparison of more detailed resolution v more musical tone… which leaves me with a few questions:

Have you noticed this too?
Do you find that amplifiers like the Stratos generally sound better (more musical) with older recordings?
Where does one need to go in the Odessey line to find an amplifier that is high resolving?  And, do they retain the same sweet musical tone?

klaus@odyssey

In general,  you have more analytical sq from digital amps...yes,  it sounds like a generalization,  but that's what it is....as for the Stratos,  of course you have more fleshing out,  presence,  colors in the over - and under tones,  but to what extent information comes through is also a matter of what upgrades you have....what is the exact model,  and how old is the amp ????   Then there's ALWAYS  the issue of biasing correctness when you buy used........and finally,  you just got it this weekend.  All of our amps,  and indeed most ss amps need to be left on and  need a good 3-7 days to come alive.....

Late,

Klaus

BTW:  welcome to the family

Jay Decker

… but to what extent information comes through is also a matter of what upgrades you have....what is the exact model,  and how old is the amp ????

Thanks Klaus - I’m going to listen to it for a couple weeks.  I was told the amp was stock with no upgrades and probably 10 to 12 years old (the serial number is 00-650). Additionally, the original owner and second owner were high end equipment collectors, peddled it because they didn’t use it much, so the second owner doesn’t think the amp has all that many hours on it.  What the realty is, ya just never know… I’ll see it sounds after a couple weeks.

Rocket

Hi,

You may wish to consider checking the base of the amplifier as this would be an opportunity to have the amplifier working at its best. If you like the sound you have the option of having it upgraded by Klaus.

Good luck.

Cheers Rod

klaus@odyssey

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

OK,  the amp is pretty much an antique piece  at this point...S/N  650 has no upgrades whatsoever,  and is from 1999.....23 years old.

You can expect no more than 20 % of what our new amps do at this point...........and man oh man,  does it need some attention,  yes.

Jay Decker

You may wish to consider checking the base of the amplifier as this would be an opportunity to have the amplifier working at its best.

Hey Rod - Thanks for responding.  What what do mean by “checking the base of the amplifier”, I’m not sure that I understand what you are referring to doing or looking for.

Jay Decker

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

OK,  the amp is pretty much an antique piece  at this point...S/N  650 has no upgrades whatsoever,  and is from 1999.....23 years old.

You can expect no more than 20 % of what our new amps do at this point...........and man oh man,  does it need some attention,  yes.

Point taken… sent an inquiry to email address on the website.

artur9

I had some older amps upgraded by Klaus to "current spec."  Definitely yielded an uptick in resolution, if flawed acoustic memory is acceptable evidence.

Ed_Zachary

...and man oh man,  does it need some attention,  yes.

I'm from 1955 and haven't had any upgrades either. I need a LOT of attention.

Jay:
I'm gonna take a guess here and assume that Rocket's "base" may be "bias" spelled sideways. I might be wrong.

Also (VERY IMPORTANT), don't email Klaus. Pick up the phone in the evening and give him a call. Things will move much faster that way.

Yog Sothoth

Also (VERY IMPORTANT), don't email Klaus. Pick up the phone in the evening and give him a call. Things will move much faster that way.

Is that the secret?  I sent a message to him via their web site about 3 months ago asking a couple of questions about my Stratos and never received any response!

klaus@odyssey

Oooops....apologies....must have fallen through the spam cracks...I'm a little late on the tsunamis of (pain in the ass)  emails,  but never this much behind.....................yes,  calls are best,  and especially after 3 or 4 pm until about midnight  ......  my hours are really messed up these days,  wayyyy  too busy

Yog Sothoth

Oooops....apologies....must have fallen through the spam cracks...I'm a little late on the tsunamis of (pain in the ass)  emails,  but never this much behind.....................yes,  calls are best,  and especially after 3 or 4 pm until about midnight  ......  my hours are really messed up these days,  wayyyy  too busy

No worries Klaus, thanks!  I figured something like that, spam or workload, had prevented it; you have such a good reputation with customers that I in no way thought it was from lack of caring!

The questions weren't all that important.  I was just curious if I provided the serial number you could give me some information about it.  I bought it used, in need of repair recently (simple fix) and have been enjoying it very much.  It's a Stratos and I think based on the total capacitance it's an Extreme, but I don't know for sure.  I'll gather the information and give you a call sometime!  Thanks!

Dishman442

Suggestion to save time:  take the top off the amp and take a picture of the guts with your phone, then send that to him when you get him on a phone call. He can take one glance at the picture and know what you’ve got and what can be done.