My X3 Update

Desertpilot

• Retired
My X3 Update
« on: 3 Jul 2022, 12:40 pm »
Yesterday was a GREAT day for music.  As you know, I have three X3s up front and my older SVS Ultra bookshelves as rear surround.

I've recently purchased several new albums, all in DXD 24/352.8.
-- Schubert’s Winterreise:  The piano sounded marvelous with a broad soundstage and great depth.  Among the best piano reproductions I've heard on my system.  The real star was the baritone.  His voice sounded full and dripping with emotion.  At times, his voice gets very loud and I was blown away by how well the X3s handled it.  It is easy to imagine the piano and baritone right in front of you in your listening space.  (NativeDSD https://www.nativedsd.com/product/ttk0078-schubert-winterreise/)
-- To Speak to Our Time: Choral Works by Samuel Adler", Gloriæ Dei Cantores choir.  This is sacred choral music and my third album by the choir.  My X3s handle choir music exceptionally well.  Female vocals never sound shrill or strident.  The organ is a star of the show weaving in and out, always balanced with the vocals.  The handbells are reproduced perfectly.  I am especially appreciative of the many bass voices in the choir.  (NativeDSD https://www.nativedsd.com/product/gdcd066-to-speak-to-our-time-choral-works-by-samuel-adler/)
-- Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 & Stucky: Silent Spring, Honeck conductor:  My X3s have always done well with symphonies and this one is no exception.  David Hurwitz at Classics Today loved this performance.  Reproduction is so good you can forget about your system and enjoy "a walk by the brook" as Beethoven intended.  (NativeDSD https://www.nativedsd.com/product/fr747-beethoven-symphony-no-6-stucky-silent-spring/)

I never thought listening to music could be so good.  Every note is clear.  Having owned these speakers more than a year now, I never get tired listening to music.  By the way, before my listening session yesterday, I vacuumed the carpet because we all know a clean carpet makes the speakers sound better.

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
Re: My X3 Update
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2022, 12:52 pm »
Tech Notes about my system:

--  I use JRiver as my media player.  My speaker corrections are as follows:  10 foot speaker distance, equidistant triangle to MLP.  X3 crossover at 30 Hz and sends any frequencies below that to my two SVS SB13 Ultra subwoofers (primarily for deep organ music and movie explosions).  The bookshelves have a crossover of 100 Hz and frequencies below that are removed.  Normal LFE to subwoofers but almost all classical music is 5.0 not 5.1.  All 5 speakers are well out into my room.
-- Music is on my homebuilt server
-- Music direct to my ExaSound S88 DAC via USB cable
-- DAC direct to my Parasound A52+ amplifier via XLR cable
-- GIK room treatments

Can I do better?  Of course, but no more money for this retiree.