BAT vk80i vs Line Magnetic vs PrimaLuna

subsonic1050

BAT vk80i vs Line Magnetic vs PrimaLuna
« on: 1 Jul 2022, 10:35 pm »
Hey everybody, I have the GR Research NX-Treme's in my main listening room. I've tried several different amps/preamps/integrated amps in the system to include PS Audio BHK Pre with BHK 250 amp, Doge 10 tube integrated, Benchmark AHB2, Neurochrome Mod 86 v3 chip amp, Lyngdorf TDAI-2170, and the PrimaLuna Evo 300 integrated amp. Of all of them I keep coming back to the PrimaLuna but it is definitely lacking some clarity and detail when compared to some of the other offerings. Also, while I do find the amp to be pretty "holographic" with a 3D soundstage - I'm looking for even more of that. I like things on the warm side and detest harshness.

The main option I was looking at was the Line Magnetic 845 Premium. However, it is basically unavailable right now and the 219ia is 220v (I need 120v). A dealer recommended the BAT vk80i to me and I wondered what the opinions of people on this site were with regards to the BAT, The Line Magnetic stuff (also the 845ia if people have experience with it) and how those might compare to the PrimaLuna I already own.

If you have any other suggestions for a great integrated or separates I'm open to just about anything. I'd like to keep the cost of the setup (if separates then I'd need a preamp as well) to less than 10k if possible.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: BAT vk80i vs Line Magnetic vs PrimaLuna
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2022, 04:30 am »

subsonic1050

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2022, 04:55 am »
Hey Tyson, thanks for the response. Can you specify what it is? AC limited my account a few months ago and I can't access the classifieds.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2022, 12:23 pm »
Hey Tyson, thanks for the response. Can you specify what it is? AC limited my account a few months ago and I can't access the classifieds.

http://www.dsachsconsulting.com/valhalla%20integrated.html

For $3850 plus shipping.

/mp

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2022, 05:27 pm »
Hey everybody, I have the GR Research NX-Treme's in my main listening room. I've tried several different amps/preamps/integrated amps in the system to include PS Audio BHK Pre with BHK 250 amp, Doge 10 tube integrated, Benchmark AHB2, Neurochrome Mod 86 v3 chip amp, Lyngdorf TDAI-2170, and the PrimaLuna Evo 300 integrated amp.

What's your opinion on the Doge?

subsonic1050

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jul 2022, 06:02 pm »
Opnly - that option looks extremely interesting. I trust Clayton's opinion and he had glowing things to say about it. The price on the website is $4695 - is he selling them at a discount? Have you heard this unit yourself? If so, what were your impressions?

/mp - It's been a year since I last heard the Doge, but from memory I thought it was excellent - for it's price. I don't agree with the giant killer status some Youtube reviewers have given it. Also, for me it was more focused on detail and dynamics than the "tube" sound that I'm looking for. Not as warm and airy as the PrimaLuna. I tell you what though, I absolutely love that the remote has a standby button! Why does it seem that tube integrated amps never have that option?!

morganc

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jul 2022, 08:22 pm »
http://www.dsachsconsulting.com/valhalla%20integrated.html

For $3850 plus shipping.

Agree with Tyson.  There's a 6-12 month wait to get an amp from Don!  I have his pre and amp running Spatial X-3's which are I believe a similar load and voicing to the Extremes.  I've owned at least 50 amps. My $.02 is you'll get a much bigger bang for your buck buying boutique brands with a cult following Vs name brands that are more well known that spend most of their money on the case and the ads Vs the product.  I'm a huge fan of Don Sachs, Linear Tube Audio, and Allnic.  Fantastic brands and top notch quality and service and support. 

subsonic1050

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jul 2022, 09:43 pm »
Can anyone tell me what Tyson recommended? I still can't open that link so I have no idea.

MttBsh

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jul 2022, 10:33 pm »
He’s recommending Don Sach’s Valhalla integrated amp

subsonic1050

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jul 2022, 10:35 pm »
OH! Ok, so Opnly was letting me know already. I missed that, I thought that was his recommendation. I did email Don earlier today, I'm pretty interested in speaking with him. The wait is a bummer, but totally worth it will give me what I'm looking for.

Thanks for clearing that up for me MttBsh

/mp

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jul 2022, 12:17 am »
Can anyone tell me what Tyson recommended? I still can't open that link so I have no idea.

Try copying the link & pasting it in a new tab.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #11 on: 3 Jul 2022, 12:32 am »
Opnly - that option looks extremely interesting. I trust Clayton's opinion and he had glowing things to say about it. The price on the website is $4695 - is he selling them at a discount? Have you heard this unit yourself? If so, what were your impressions?

It is the used amplifier, thus the discount, that Tyson recommended via the AC for sale link.
Now sold.  :(

subsonic1050

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jul 2022, 12:53 am »
Yup, sold, TO ME! I'm a simple man. Tyson makes a recommendation, I buy it. It didn't hurt that I did some research and every review I could find had nothing but glowing things to say about it. Can't wait to try it out!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jul 2022, 12:55 am »
Also, while I do find the amp to be pretty "holographic" with a 3D soundstage - I'm looking for even more of that. I like things on the warm side and detest harshness.

The main option I was looking at was the Line Magnetic 845 Premium. However, it is basically unavailable right now and the 219ia is 220v (I need 120v). A dealer recommended the BAT vk80i to me and I wondered what the opinions of people on this site were with regards to the BAT, The Line Magnetic stuff (also the 845ia if people have experience with it) and how those might compare to the PrimaLuna I already own.
In your position I would consider only Single Ended amps even SolidState output as the First Watt F5 or the LM 218 (211/845).

Years a go I have listened the VK75SE Stereo in a friend big room with DCS transport/DAC + Avantgarde Uno(active sub) and was disappointed, but have not said it to him.
Also there is other options on the market at this level:
http://www.mei-xing.com/english/English/cp/1_845-c12.html

http://www.mei-xing.com/english/English/cp/845-C%2020TH.html

They have a stunning 805 Top Cap integraed version too, very cheap tube and better sound than the 845.

SET Man

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jul 2022, 01:12 am »
It is the used amplifier, thus the discount, that Tyson recommended via the AC for sale link.
Now sold.  :(

Hey!

I've never heard that amp. But even at full price new that looks like a lot of amp for the money I have to say. Well, for those who have speaker that would sing with 30wpc. And it is integ-amp so no need to buy a pre. And it looks great, hope is sound as good as it looks.

Buddy

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jul 2022, 03:02 am »
I have Spatial M3 Sapphires running with this and I'm done:
https://octave.de/en/htdocs/verstaerker/v70classa.php

Kw6

« Reply #16 on: 25 Oct 2022, 02:40 am »
I have two recommendations. The  Luxman MQ-88uC power amplifier is warm and smooth I heard  at dealer. Another amp which I want to hear  is the Synthesis  Audio Virtue A40. Some say really buttery  smooth and more warmer than Line Magnetic with stock tube  per owners forum is more neutral.  I am myself looking  into a El34 SET. Like Unison Simply Italy  or the Mastersound Duenuchi. Any other suggestions? Bat O heard  long time ago has a see through  crystalline  character but not overly  warm say Luxman that I mentioned.  Let us know what you end up with. Of  course I really like the Jadis DA50s but out of my budget.