Handle Your Tubes with Care...

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Handle Your Tubes with Care...
« on: 23 Oct 2022, 04:37 am »
Well, I did it this time.  :(  I was just a bit too aggressive with this tube.  :nono: I'll be more gentle in the future.

Nick B

Re: Handle Your Tubes with Care...
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2022, 05:39 am »
What tube was it, Michael? I’ve only broken one so far…a 12ax7

mresseguie

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2022, 06:32 am »
Hello, Nick!

How's your weather treating you? We finally got some overdue rain, but we'll need more to get to 'normal' (whatever that is nowadays).

It's a Shuguang WE6SN7.... :(  I can still see which direction the ceramic plug faced, so I think I ought to be able to use it (unless someone more knowledgeable warns me otherwise??).

Nick B

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2022, 06:49 am »
Hello Michael!

Are you in the PNW right now or overseas? Ah, the 6sn7… I’m running Raytheons on my wonderful Supratek Chardonnay. I’m assuming you can still use it, but hopefully someone else will chime in. I don’t want to be responsible for a lightning show in your listening room ⚡️ 😳

It’s cooling off here, but we’re expecting snow at Brianhead ski resort, about an hour away.
Looks like I’ll be moving near Vegas. I’m downsizing. It’s been an adventure finding the right place.

mresseguie

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2022, 04:10 pm »
Nick,

I'm still in the PNW. Three days ago, it was still <almost> summer weather. Then, WHOOSH! It's Autumn. That's the fastest change of season I have ever witnessed.  :scratch:

You're the second person I know who has decided to move to the greater Vegas area. Good luck with your relocation.

I haven't tried Raytheons yet. How are they?

Michael

borism

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2022, 04:29 pm »
Don't know if you thought of it, but I would put a small, but visible scratch into the metal base to mark the direction where the broken off middle plug was pointing.

Nevertheless, it will remain a small risk but that's life ...

rotarius

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2022, 06:11 pm »
You can get an octal tube key replacement from Tubedepot and elsewhere for less than 10 bucks and avoid inserting it the wrong way.

mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2022, 06:33 pm »
Don't know if you thought of it, but I would put a small, but visible scratch into the metal base to mark the direction where the broken off middle plug was pointing.

Nevertheless, it will remain a small risk but that's life ...

You can get an octal tube key replacement from Tubedepot and elsewhere for less than 10 bucks and avoid inserting it the wrong way.

Good advice! Thank you, both.

:thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2022, 06:44 pm »
Worse than broke a tube is receive a broken tube:

mresseguie

« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2022, 11:54 pm »
 :cry:

I feel your pain.

Photon46

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2022, 12:20 am »
"Handle your tubes with care" is a lesson recently reinforced to me as well. I ordered an Amperex GZ34 and the seller sent it in an old tube box without an end flap or any packing to restrain it. I opened the shipping box, lifted the tube box out, and of course the tube immediately fell out and shattered on the granite countertop. $125 down the drain.  :duh:  Henceforth I open all tube shipments over a soft carpet.

mick wolfe

« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2022, 04:35 pm »
Been there, done that. One of the more desired Ei KT90's on a tile floor. Broke up a nice matched quad  :cry: