Crimes of the Future (2022) - a David Cronenberg sci-fi horror film

WGH

David Cronenberg has been directing and acting in films since 1966, many of them horror. He is best know for the 1986 film "The Fly" starring Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis. He also directed "Crash" starring James Spader and Holly Hunter, "Scanners", "Dead Ringers", "Naked Lunch", "M Butterfly", and many more.

"Crimes of the Future" is at the top of the list as the weirdest, most twisted and strangely thoughtful film Cronenberg has made. This film is nothing like his 1970 film which shares the same title, it's not a re-make but an entirely new deformed animal.

Viggo Mortensen plays Saul Tensor, whose body spontaneously grows new mysterious organs which are removed in public by performance artist Caprice, played by Léa Seydoux. Timlin (Kristen Stewart) works for the National Organ Registry and has a mysterious relationship with Saul. This future dystopian world is bleak and well worn, the question being asked is are humans mutating to be less human as their bodies evolve to survive in a polluted environment.

In this version of the future humans can no longer feel pain and infections have disappeared so instead of tattoos people are getting body alterations. If all this sounds creepy and stomach churning then Cronenberg has succeeded in his goal.

The low key and thoughtful performances kept me totally engaged and wondering where the heck this film is going. And I thought "Mad God" was strange, "Crimes of the Future" makes that film look like "Wallace and Gromit".
Body horror made by a master.

79% on RT - R rated, Grisly Images, Graphic Nudity, Strong Violent Content
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/crimes_of_the_future_2022

Watch the trailer
https://youtu.be/xyCI741MqPY

:icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

Mudslide

Thanks for the insight.  I'm not a fan of Cronenberg movies, at all.  But I prefer sci-fi, particularly dystopian stories...and am a GREAT admirer of Viggo.  So, I'll give it a try.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
I watched the trailer a couple days ago. I may watch it, but it’s definitely not the sort of movie my wife would watch - more popcorn for me! :popcorn: