Closed Back Options

VinceT

Closed Back Options
« on: 25 Jun 2022, 01:59 pm »
Looking for some closed back options for night listening not to wake up the family.

I know they usually are not as good in the soundstage and imaging dept compared to open backs. Not a bass head, more critical listening. No budget in mind yet.

DannyBadorine

Re: Closed Back Options
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2022, 02:07 pm »
Have you considered custom molded in ears? The 64 Audio 18S in ears are spectacular.
https://www.64audio.com

VinceT

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2022, 02:29 pm »
Interesting option. I have in ears and they always seem uncomfortable. Also I know there are some good ones, bit wonder if larger HP drivers deliver more.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2022, 02:33 pm »
Getting good impressions of your ears is really important with in ears.  The fit is important for comfort but also to get a good seal so the low end sounds good.  They are a good option when you need to get away from loud external noise.  Over the ear headphones are usually easier to wear for longer.  It all depends on the specifics that you want. 
For headphones, I always loved the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro.  It's a great budget option.  They're really comfortable and they sound good.  They generally need a little more power to drive them, but any decent headphone amp can do it.

toocool4

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2022, 04:47 pm »
Try Focal Stellia headphones, I think you will change your mind about what a closed back headphone can do. It's the best closed headphones, I have heard to date.  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2022, 04:58 pm »
The Focals are very nice, toocool4's rec is great. 

However, I have one closed headphone I think is even better (based on extensive comparisons).  The Meze Liric.  Wow, it sort of re-defined what I thought was possible with a closed headphone.  Expensive, but worth every penny:

https://mezeaudio.com/products/liric

toocool4

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2022, 05:02 pm »
Tyson it's not one I have heard, so can't comment. When I have listened to Meze headphones in the past, I have never got on with the sounds signature.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2022, 05:18 pm »
Tyson it's not one I have heard, so can't comment. When I have listened to Meze headphones in the past, I have never got on with the sounds signature.

The Liric (closed back) and the Empyrean (open back) are my 2 favorite headphones.  They are both incredibly good.  The other headphones that Meze makes are not great, so if you're talking about the lower end stuff like the 99 Classic or 99 Neo, I agree with you, those 2 are not great. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2022, 12:46 am »
Have see this inexpensive $369 new, 100dB.
https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he-r9.html

SET Man

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2022, 01:26 am »
Hey!

I'm not a big headphone user and don't have lots of experience with many headphones. But I've been pretty happy with AKG 551. I bought this to use with my iPhone since it got the in-line control. But ended up using it more at home since I rarely listen to music on the go. I find it spacious open sound for a closed back headphones, easy to drive and don't have muddy bloated mid bass. I think the home version of this is the 550 and both are now been replaced by newer model 553 I think. Don't know what your budget is but these are pretty inexpensive. Not
   My other headphones are Grado SR125 and '80s AKG K240. I rarely use them also. I'm sure more serious headphone users here will have more recommendations.

Buddy

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2022, 01:47 am »
DT-770 for under $200. Sound good, extremely comfortable.

djpk

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jun 2022, 04:02 am »
I've been very happy with my Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro headphones. I'm using the Garage1217 Project Polaris amplifier with them and the combination is great. The Project Polaris has loading options that provides adjustability to match with your headphones. The DT 1770 Pros are very comfortable as well.

dflee

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jun 2022, 04:26 am »
Rethink the closed back. The reason I say that is cause closed back are to keep outside or extraneous sounds out not your headphone’s sound from others. Unless someone is next to you it shouldn’t bother them. I found through a lot of trial to favor open back vs closed.  After wasting quite a bit of dinero and numerous phones ended up with ZMF and couldn’t be happier. The open back in my case provided a huge improvement and I listen all times of day without bothering anyone.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 26 Jun 2022, 07:37 am »
The simplest option is close the vents of your current phone yourself.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 26 Jun 2022, 10:19 am »
A number a years ago a friend and I moved in as housemates so I got some (real) headphones for domestic tranquility, Hifiman HE 400i.  I was rocking out to my new toys in my bedroom and Lori interrupted from the living room asking if the volume was safe as she could easily hear what I was listening to.  Open back phones absolutely transmit a great deal of sound into the environment.  I also have some of what they call "semi open back" and they don't have near the leakage.

VinceT

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jun 2022, 02:16 pm »
I live in a ranch syle home and my family is very sensitive to noise when trying to sleep. I actually wear blue tooth phones when watching TV at night, so unfortunately CBHP are a must. As far as closing OBHP yourself, wouldn't that mess up the tuning and soundstage?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 26 Jun 2022, 09:06 pm »
As far as closing OBHP yourself, wouldn't that mess up the tuning and soundstage?
Yes the soundstage will be smaller.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #17 on: 27 Jun 2022, 01:14 am »
The simplest option is close the vents of your current phone yourself.

Not with my Hifiman Anandas. I was shocked when I covered the backs, it was like I was wearing earplugs, sound nearly disappeared.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jun 2022, 01:19 am »
Not with my Hifiman Anandas. I was shocked when I covered the backs, it was like I was wearing earplugs, sound nearly disappeared.
Nice experiment, thanks for inform.

dox1000

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jul 2022, 12:50 pm »
Vince,
I am new here, but not new to headphones.  TooCool is right, the Stellias are a new level.  I don't know what Beryllium tweeters are, but invest in the stuff, cuz it makes a difference. 

Unfortunately, you left out some details that might get you a better answer in general.  What is your source, what is your amp?  How serious are you taking your inputs into the headphones?  the inner ear monitor (IEM) option is the best answer if you will be falling asleep with these in your ear, as full sized headphones make that a bit harder.  What is your budget?  There are some great budget choices if you are using this with an iPhone in bed, vs, gaming with these, vs attaching them to an expensive tube amp, or doing all of this.

Finally, you can do what I did, which is call the Cable Company and "borrow" headphones.  They have a lending library where you can put down 5-10% (I do not remember) and try ANY phones they sell for a couple of weeks.  I got 4-5 different ones until I found my pair.  They then apply your rental costs to sale costs so that you are never out any money if you are serious about buying.  You really cant beat that option if you just don't know.

Hope this helps.