Long Time Odyssey Owner and Idiot

ilfenomeno

Long Time Odyssey Owner and Idiot
« on: 24 Jun 2022, 01:16 am »
Hi Everyone,

Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. Here goes:

I have an Odyssey Extreme Stratos I have been using CAREFREE and which has delivered HOURS, WEEKS, MONTHS, YEARS of musical enjoyment. More than 10 to be sure. Perhaps, dare I say, 14? Not quite sure.

I, the moron, did the following:
I accidentally crossed speaker wires while adding a speaker cable to the amplifier outputs on the right channel. I was adding a second speaker cable to bi-cable my speaker(s). Don't ask, I've been doing it for YEARS with the amp. BUT, I had removed one set of cables to listen and when reattaching the second cable, hooked it up with wrong polarity while, yes the stupid part...playing music. So much for paying close attention.

So here's what happened. I realized the left channel was playing but that the right had gone out...only too late. Yes, this wouldn't normally be a problem, but Coltrane was playing on Kind of Blue and that's primarily left channel so with my head buried in the back of the amp, I screwed up and it wasn't until I had hooked up the cable for more than 10-20 seconds that I realized I had a problem and no sound from the right channel.

Blue light on. Amp playing out of left channel. No sound right channel I shut the system down.
I opened the unit. Two blown fuses on right channel near transistors.
I replaced them with SAME value 6.3 amp 250v fast blow. CERAMIC fuses rather than clear glass.
To be consistent, I did the same fuse replacement for the LEFT channel EVEN THOUGH IT WAS WORKING BEFORE I SHUT DOWN THE AMP.
I turned on amp. Blue LEDs came to life, in other words ON.
Started my source and preamp: NO SOUND FROM EITHER CHANNEL.
Turned off amp, unplugged unit, waited and pulled fuses from the LEFT channel with original fuses, which are clear glass and not blown. NO SOUND.
Left amp on for 3 minutes. No sound and the fuses never blew on the left channel.
Ear next to speakers, no sound AT ALL. Usually I hear a slight hiss or something. But this is dead quiet nothing.

WHAT DID I DO? KLAUS OR ANYONE ELSE? Should I take a multimeter to this thing and measure something? Any advice? Am I missing the obvious, which is highly likely given that I made this dumb error in the first place?

James

ilfenomeno

Re: Long Time Odyssey Owner and Idiot
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2022, 01:29 am »
That line that said I pulled fuses from left channel should be more specific:
I pulled the new ceramic fuses from the left channel of the amp which was working before I shut it down, and replaced them with the original good fuses. Still no sound from left channel, which was never the channel I crossed with the speaker wires. So now I have two channels not operating. Amp, aside form blue light, is not outputting anything. Not a hiss (it's a quiet amp to begin with, but even with an ear right at the speaker some very slight noise could once be heard).

ilfenomeno

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2022, 02:05 am »
Last add to this story. It appears the relays are not engaging after warmup. I've waited 3 minutes and Nada.

Ed_Zachary

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2022, 03:34 am »
People have done far more idiotic things to these amps than what you did (and please, do not ask me how I know  :roll:  ). Call Klaus, describe the issue. Worst case scenario: the amp goes home to visit Daddy and you get it back just as good as new.

jjss49

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2022, 04:05 pm »
yep klaus answers the phone... just call...

ilfenomeno

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2022, 07:00 pm »
I will try until I have successfully reached him, but I thought if I was missing the obvious, someone could help walk me down from the ledge.

/mp

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2022, 09:10 pm »
IIRC, he has written evening is the best time to call. Someone else kindly chime in if this info is obsolete.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2022, 09:42 pm »
Yes,  I can chime in :

that's correct.  with everything going on at home my hours are more screwed up than ever....however,  I always have my phone with me,  and if I'm awake,  I'm answering it.

Now,  as for James' situation:  yes,  I need it back.  Relays not engaging with power to the boards (light is on)  is a dead give-away of a problem to either the rectifier stage or the input / output transistor stages...good news for him is that the amp has 10 + years on it and while I have it I can re-cap and upgrade as well.........bad news:  I'm hammered here and it takes a while...but worth it the wait

jjss49

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2022, 05:15 am »
Yes,  I can chime in :

that's correct.  with everything going on at home my hours are more screwed up than ever....however,  I always have my phone with me,  and if I'm awake,  I'm answering it.

Now,  as for James' situation:  yes,  I need it back.  Relays not engaging with power to the boards (light is on)  is a dead give-away of a problem to either the rectifier stage or the input / output transistor stages...good news for him is that the amp has 10 + years on it and while I have it I can re-cap and upgrade as well.........bad news:  I'm hammered here and it takes a while...but worth it the wait

take good care klaus...