Bryston SP1.7 or Something More Recent

TJB

Bryston SP1.7 or Something More Recent
« on: 20 Jun 2022, 10:41 pm »
Hi.  I need help real badly.  Not knowing exactly what I was doing, I bought a Bryston SP25 thinking that it was good for both music and movies, only to find out otherwise.  I've been looking for a processor since, and one of the ones I have in mind is the Bryston SP1.7.  My question to you is: is it worth buying?  I would prefer the SP3 or the SP4, but can't afford either one at this point.  The SP1.7 doesn't have any HDMI ports. Is that a deal breaker? What would the HDMI ports be used for?  Secondly, I've been reading about the Marantz processors.  Should I get one instead? Please help.  I can't afford to buy another useless component.  Thanks. 

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
Re: Bryston SP1.7 or Something More Recent
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2022, 11:00 pm »
Hi.  I need help real badly.  Not knowing exactly what I was doing, I bought a Bryston SP25 thinking that it was good for both music and movies, only to find out otherwise.  I've been looking for a processor since, and one of the ones I have in mind is the Bryston SP1.7.  My question to you is: is it worth buying?  I would prefer the SP3 or the SP4, but can't afford either one at this point.  The SP1.7 doesn't have any HDMI ports. Is that a deal breaker? What would the HDMI ports be used for?  Secondly, I've been reading about the Marantz processors.  Should I get one instead? Please help.  I can't afford to buy another useless component.  Thanks.

How did you get involved in the upscale audio media forums in the first place? The hi-end for audiophiles disappeared in 1995 when everyone could get great sound no matter how much you spent. This is 2022, man. Get a 5 yr old surround sound receiver with a dirac update available, any decent speakers and listen only in multi-channel formats so that you can ignore the nuanced bullshit of audiophile stereo listening. No HDMI inputs should give you a good idea of why this particular clique section of audio is not for you. Denon or Yamaha I guess, you can buy something else if you get caught up on the specs, just expect it to last half as long. That's 10 yrs. vs 20 yrs.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2022, 12:20 am »
How did you get involved in the upscale audio media forums in the first place? The hi-end for audiophiles disappeared in 1995 when everyone could get great sound no matter how much you spent. This is 2022, man. Get a 5 yr old surround sound receiver with a dirac update available, any decent speakers and listen only in multi-channel formats so that you can ignore the nuanced bullshit of audiophile stereo listening. No HDMI inputs should give you a good idea of why this particular clique section of audio is not for you. Denon or Yamaha I guess, you can buy something else if you get caught up on the specs, just expect it to last half as long. That's 10 yrs. vs 20 yrs.

What can I say ?

james

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2022, 12:23 am »
How did you get involved in the upscale audio media forums in the first place? The hi-end for audiophiles disappeared in 1995 when everyone could get great sound no matter how much you spent.

You are joking, right??!

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2022, 12:45 am »
You are joking, right??!
What can I say ?

james
Please, guys. Not everyone is cut out for the endless complications involved in this end of the audio industry. He certainly looks like one of them and rather than compound the mistakes already made doing the favor of dedicating his interests toward a modern mainstream system is as altruistic a gesture as I can imagine. Get out now while you still can with your bank account intact.

gbaby

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2022, 12:47 am »

Why would you post this crap on this forum?

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2022, 12:48 am »
Why would you post this crap on this forum?

My thoughts exactly

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2022, 01:11 am »
What I propose is a reasonable solution for what the OP wants. He does not have the financial resources to deal with the crap of premium audio, I gather. Anyway, why are you people shiting on me instead of offering your opinion to the OP about what to do about his situation. This isn't a Bryston forum specific question. If you know a better solution than what I offer what is it? Put up or shutup and quit trolling.

gbaby

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2022, 01:23 am »

My understanding is that the SP 1.7 has the same or similar analog section of the SP25. So if you need digital, and the price is right, I'd go with the SP1.7. But, I do not believe is plays True Dolby HD or the DTS-MA. Under no circumstances would I buy a processor with room correction as none of them are effective which is why there are a plethora of ungrades and revisions for all of them whether its Audessey or Dirac. The SP3 is certainly a unit to strive for, but I consider it a lifetime purchase in my economic bracket. Supposedly, the SP3 has the same analog section of the SP26. The SP3 has served me well as a base for my entire system as I have added to it the BDP3, BDA3, a BP-2mm/mc phono pre amp, a Rega P6 turntable as well as a couple of Sony 4k blu-rays. I'm set and I have no desire for another processor. I don't think you can get a better product in its price range. I'm set. :) In any event, keep looking as I have seen great deals on used SP3s, but they a few and far in between.

TJB

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2022, 01:24 am »
No one has yet to offer any advice.  Going back to my question: is the SP1.7 still relevant?  And the lack of HDMI inputs a deal breaker?  I don't want to get rid of the SP25.  I'm simply looking for a processor.  Any suggestions? 

gbaby

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2022, 01:39 am »
What I propose is a reasonable solution for what the OP wants. He does not have the financial resources to deal with the crap of premium audio, I gather. Anyway, why are you people shiting on me instead of offering your opinion to the OP about what to do about his situation. This isn't a Bryston forum specific question. If you know a better solution than what I offer what is it? Put up or shutup and quit trolling.

Your suggestion was not a solution, but a means for you to attack high end audio. You should not post on this forum as you are posting to condemn. This is a Bryston speific question forum. Bryston does not sell receivers, and yet you troll here recommending the OP to obtain one. In addition most of us shun room correction. You may need to go the the Denon section; this section is not for you.

drummermitchell

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2022, 01:43 am »
Well I’d suggest a Arcam av-8 processor or the 9 as you can buy them for around 2-500.
Don’t know about the sp1.7 although I'm sure it was and is a good processor for 5.1.
As the AV-8 has no HDMI) the 9 does,they both do 7.1.
I just retired my faithful AV-8 (which still works great)for the anthem avm-70 just for the new Atmos blah blah.
The AV-8 have had since 2006 has been flawless in performance.
I just wanted to check out Atmos.
Because I can.

Nothing wrong with 5.1
Better than AM radio :thumb:

drummermitchell

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2022, 01:46 am »
Lol,I was thinking the same thing myself,but I didn’t say anything.
Gbaby I believe you are correct.

GrooveControl

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2022, 01:49 am »
To TJB

I have a SP1.7, but i only use it in two channel mode. Bought it for it's remote capabilities and 12v trigger out to turn on my 3B.  Most modern TVs have HDMI inputs and a toslink audio output that you can connect to the SP1.7. So unless your TV doesn't have enough HDMI inputs, you shouldn't have a problem with HDMI connectivity.  I won't comment on sound processing modes as I don't know anything about those.  Some thoughts on the SP1.7...

Plus:Bryston reliability
Plus:Can do multi channel
Plus:Can be had cheap as they are outdated
Minus:No room correction like in Marantz or other AV processors
Minus:No headphone jack

I also have a Marantz SR5007 in another setup.  I love the simplicity of that setup, and the Audyssey room correction makes a dramatic sound improvement in that system.  I've had that Marantz about 10 years now. Never, ever, felt the Marantz was lacking in sound quality.

artur9

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jun 2022, 02:16 am »
I bought a Bryston SP25 thinking that it was good for both music and movies, only to find out otherwise. 

Do you need multichannel or are you just using L/R?  If you just need L/R then you could probably just take the RCA output right from the TV into the SP25.  The TV may have you use a headphone output for this.

The next step up would be to try to get digital audio output into a DAC assuming your TV has digital output.

On the other end of the complexity scale, you'd have to get an HDMI switcher/extractor and the SP1.7 for its multichannel input.

An extractor would be something like this:  https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13348

Personally, when I had this need I looked for an older AVR with multichannel outputs.  I got one for under $100 via eBay and Goodwill.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jun 2022, 02:33 am »
If due diligence isn't a part of the OP's strategy for getting the most for his money in this hobby he will end up like all of us did in the first few years, swindled at the least or going sideways with upgrades multiple times.

He needs to tell us what he has now in way of equipment and what he wants and why he thinks it would be an improvement.
What is this SP25 you talk about? Do you mean BP25? Why do want to keep it? If you want a processor rather than a surround receiver your only option is an SP3. For multichannel use the SP1.7 or SP2 or so dated they can't be considered as a viable choice. You don't want anything without hdmi 2.2 inputs.
Do you have multiple amplifiers available now to use with a processor? If you don't in order to realize the increased resolution available from a component that Bryston makes it would be necessary to spend thousands of dollars in amplifcation and speakers to take advantage of it. That being with the assumption that you are able to hear the difference. The purpose of multichannel playback is mostly to trick you into hearing something much better than what you would assume to be inferior by way of objective measurements which is what the premium audio industry offers as the carrot.
This works for stereo reproduction because of the compromised format. Ask Floyd Toole if you don't believe me.
I have already told what to do about your situation. You can ignore it and decide years from now you should have taken my advice or you can buy what   I suggest and a new car and have peace of mind and never go near another audio forum for the rest of your life.

I don't know why some of you guys are taking this personally. If any of you have the slightest history in the sector you should be telling the OP to watch his step for his own sake and the personally part should be you giving productive advice for his benefit. Assuming he's a novice and needs the leadership brought by years of experience from the rank and file.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 21 Jun 2022, 02:50 am »
Your suggestion was not a solution, but a means for you to attack high end audio. You should not post on this forum as you are posting to condemn. This is a Bryston speific question forum. Bryston does not sell receivers, and yet you troll here recommending the OP to obtain one. In addition most of us shun room correction. You may need to go the the Denon section; this section is not for you.

I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about.

Other than the suggestion to go with an SP3, if the OP can afford to go that route. I just wonder if you made that curcuitous and expensive path from SP1 to the SP3? Ouch!

Mag

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jun 2022, 07:14 am »

With newer TV's the HDMI has to be compatible, so if you have a new tv you'll probably need a more recent HDMI output. With my SP2 I don't recall off hand, but I don't believe it has an HDMI out so the SP 1.7 will not have it either. However I use either my Universal Player, Cable Box or Computer that has an HDMI out and connect that to the TV and the sound to my SP2 with either Toslink or USB port to my external dac and dac to SP2 which can then process the signal to the Codecs, stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 or dts 5.1.

So unless you have an external dac or plan on purchasing one for the toslink or usb connection. You are probably going to be better off purchasing a more recent receiver which should have an up to date HDMI connection for a newer type HDTV.

gbaby

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jun 2022, 01:42 pm »
Well I’d suggest a Arcam av-8 processor or the 9 as you can buy them for around 2-500.
Don’t know about the sp1.7 although I'm sure it was and is a good processor for 5.1.
As the AV-8 has no HDMI) the 9 does,they both do 7.1.
I just retired my faithful AV-8 (which still works great)for the anthem avm-70 just for the new Atmos blah blah.
The AV-8 have had since 2006 has been flawless in performance.
I just wanted to check out Atmos.
Because I can.

Nothing wrong with 5.1
Better than AM radio :thumb:

You definitely cannot go wrong with the AV9. This is what I use in my bedroom.I will caution, however, that HDMI on the AV9 is basically a switcher and it does not carry sound. By the way, after purchasing my SP3, I auditioned an Anthem AVM-60, and ATMOS irritated me as I am not use to sound coming from the ceiling, but rather, the horizontal plane. Not bashing ATMOS, but I am old school.  :D

gbaby

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jun 2022, 01:55 pm »
I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about.

Other than the suggestion to go with an SP3, if the OP can afford to go that route. I just wonder if you made that curcuitous and expensive path from SP1 to the SP3? Ouch!

I did back in 2012. I cannot tell you how many different receivers and processors I have purchased in the past due to something about the sound I am missing. However, the SP3 eliminated my desire to upgrade again as I am totally satisfied with the sound or lack thereof as it is completely neutral sounding. I have had minor issues with the SP3 and I have had personal conversations with the personnel at Bryston who resolved my issues. I feel secure owning Bryston, and all my purchases after the SP3 were Bryston products. I guess the SP3 will be and heirloom.  :lol: By the way, the SP3 is my first Bryston product as I have not owned the SP1. And, the only reason I purchased the SP3 is due to an article I read on it in Stereophile magazine by Kal Rubinson. I heard every sonic trait he described in his review of the SP3.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2022, 06:18 pm by gbaby »