vmps parts

vmazz

vmps parts
« on: 19 Jun 2022, 06:29 pm »
Greeting Audio Circle, I ma new to the forum, I have been working on audio electronics for several years. I primarily work on and build guitar tube amps but also work on and enjoy hifi systems. Ive recently been hired to reincarnate a pair of vmps tower ii se speaker cabinets. There are 2 x 12" woofers that need replacement. a Misco LC12w-8a and an unbranded lower range woofer x5045svc stamped. I know ther are vmps threads on this forum but as aIm new I cant search . Any advice is appreciated , looking for appropriate replacements with similar specs. This  site is huge! Great to be here in this knowledgable community! :)

vmazz

Greetings
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2022, 12:40 am »
Im a  tube amp builder and repair guy. But aslo am learning about the ins and outs of hifi audiophile systems. this is a great place to learn.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Greetings
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2022, 12:45 am »
Im a  tube amp builder and repair guy. But aslo am learning about the ins and outs of hifi audiophile systems. this is a great place to learn.
Welccome again.
I will merge this topic cith the previous you created in June.

vmazz

Re: vmps parts
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2022, 02:22 am »
Thank you.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2022, 02:28 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC vmazz   :thumb:

ZAKski288

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2022, 02:30 am »
Welcome to Audio Circles, those are great speakers. Here is the original brochure for them. Good luck
Also the Misco driver was not original to speakers, they were a replacement and upgrade from VMPS.

Millersound can repair drivers, here’s the link:

http://www.millersound.net/contact-bill-legall-millersound.html

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2022, 05:26 am »
Fell free to post photos  :thumb:

vmazz

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2022, 11:40 pm »
Thanks to both replies. I will get some pics asap. I realize the Misco was an upgrade. The other tower is still functioning normal, I was hoping to find some replacements in teh same spec range. Ill check out the option for repairing too. :thumb:

Jstower

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2022, 02:21 am »
The pair of tower II SE I own have both upgraded drivers.
  12” Mid / Woofer is Misco LC12W-8A. These are the specs from Misco but Brian always modified most of his drivers.

12” Woofer  is Misco OC12W-8A.   Lower Driver

vmazz

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2022, 08:06 pm »
Perfect! Exactly what i need for a reference. Im pretty sure my lower woofer is a gefco, its labeled x5045. Thank you so much for the spec sheets! :icon_lol:

Jstower

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jun 2022, 06:59 pm »
Your right most of the original drivers were Gefco. Another thing I would due is remove the toggle switch from the rear of speakers. Basically that is a internal jumper between the speakers post and the switch is the weak link. Then use external jumper wire between the post. The one pair I had, when I first got them, the switch did nothing. I could hook the speaker wire coming from the amp to the bottom pair of post, move the switch nothing changed. Put the speaker wire to the top set of post, move the switch, nothing changed. I ended up just removing it and filling the hole.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2022, 10:26 pm »
Too bad this Misco woofer are only 90dB, I would like to listen this speaker with hi efficiency speakers:
https://www.diyparadiso.com/datasheets/speaker/beyma/12k200.pdf

vmazz

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2022, 02:15 am »
The pair of tower II SE I own have both upgraded drivers.
  12” Mid / Woofer is Misco LC12W-8A. These are the specs from Misco but Brian always modified most of his drivers.

12” Woofer  is Misco OC12W-8A.   Lower Driver

Do you know what type of tweeter grid covers the Tower 2 SE would have ? I am looking for just the grill covers on tweeters on both towers.. They are bent and made of plastic so if I pull them out they just break.