DIY!?! Oh My!

NAYA-AWAZ

DIY!?! Oh My!
« on: 16 Jun 2022, 09:59 pm »
I got back into reading during the pandemic. Coincidentally, I was listening to music while reading (almost always using true wireless earbud).  But, that only reminded me how much I missed listening to music and I went down the rabbit hole of headphones. As the headphone hobby grew, I realized I love reading about the tech and would love to build my own bookshelf speakers and, if I get the courage, an amp.

So, here I am w/ an open mind ... very interested in GR Research kits, want to explore amps, interconnects, etc., etc., etc. I try to listen more than speak so may be more of reader but will try to chime in when I think I can contribute.

Blackmore

Re: DIY!?! Oh My!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2022, 10:39 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2022, 10:46 pm »
if I get the courage, an amp.
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
If you have hi sensitivity speakers as 98/100dB and benign 8Ω impedance (easily achieved with xoverless) you may indulge yourself the luxury of DIY a Single Ended Transistor amp that uses only 1 cheap transistor at the output to about 20/22W, a bliss that rivals the famous Nelson Pass First Watt amps and yet you will avoid the risks of mess with Hi Voltage of tube amps.

A great purist power amp at low cost, highly recommended if you have a hi gain pre-amp:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=179626.0
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2022, 11:40 pm by FullRangeMan »

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2022, 11:35 pm »
DIY is way more cost effective to start with. Good times.

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2022, 12:08 am »
Speaker building is a psychosis but I'm finally cured.    :green:

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2022, 12:27 am »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2022, 04:07 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2022, 02:04 pm »
Welcome!

Don't ignore active monitors such as JBL 305 Mk2 or Kali LP-6.  Both are compact 2-way ported monitors with wave guide loaded tweeters and 6.5 inch mid-woofers rated down to 41/39 Hz, and cost less than $400/pair.  No amp or DIY needed.  Plus they come with a warranty and the amps are matched to the drivers. 

artur9

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2022, 03:32 am »
... would love to build my own bookshelf speakers and, if I get the courage, an amp. ...
Welcome!

Someone recently posted about the Decware Tiny Radials.  They have plans posted for how to build those.

As for making an amp, maybe start with a kit amp, like Akitika? 

Me, I'm all thumbs and would probably end up electrocuting myself.