Michael Fremer Moves to TAS

WGH

Michael Fremer Moves to TAS
« on: 16 Jun 2022, 08:25 pm »
Well that was a surprise. I always enjoyed reading Michael's Analog Corner column and equipment reviews of uber hi-end in Stereophile. The reviews came with John Atkinson's measurements which is one thing TAS doesn't include in their reviews. JA measures before listening and over the years has refined how measurements correlate to what is actually heard. Many times he is spot on regarding what the reviewer heard.

I have a Stereophile subscription and will miss Fremer. Not thinking of getting a subscription to TAS.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/eminent-audio-reviewer-michael-fremer-returns-to-the-absolute-sound?mc_cid=ecded4cd0c&mc_eid=585dffeb58

Carl V

Re: Michael Fremer Moves to TAS
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2022, 09:46 pm »
curiouser & curiouser....wonder what prompted this move.

decal

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2022, 01:01 am »
curiouser & curiouser....wonder what prompted this move.

Money :duh:

Mike B.

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2022, 03:55 am »
Surprising. I wonder if Austin being chosen the new boss had anything to do with the move?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2022, 07:19 pm »
Lots of money likely.

dave

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2022, 08:42 pm »
Lots of money likely.

I didn't think being an equipment reviewer was a lucrative occupation but Michael's stereo might indicate it is. I might have to re-assess my life choices.

After Fremer's glowing Gryphon Commander preamp ($63,000) review, it will be interesting to see if it becomes his new reference, replacing his $23,250 darTZeel NHB-18NS preamp.
A signing bonus from TAS perhaps? Just wondering out loud. I'd do it.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/gryphon-commander-line-preamplifier

artur9

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2022, 03:44 am »
Re: JA's measurements and commentary.

I do enjoy them but prefer the writing style of TAS.  What I wonder is who will take up the mantle of doing measurements when JA is no longer capable of doing them?