How I started

HenryB

How I started
« on: 8 Jun 2022, 05:54 pm »
I began as an audiophile listening to science fiction on a Packard Bell tube powered radio. The reception was terrible, which made the stories even more exciting. I began building Heathkits in grade school  and built a DynakKit FM radio connected to a HH Scott tube receiver. I built a speaker using an Altec Lansing 12" D -130 Driver. Thats the one with the crackle finish web and the silver dome in the middle of the front. It was a beautiful piece of American engineering. It was ported to an opening on the front that I could control by pulling a string in the back. The string was attached to a hinged door that could open and close the port passage. In high school I switched to a Dyna preamp and the Dyna 120 amp, Recocut turntable with an Empire arm, Stanton pick up.  I think the HH Scott sounded better. So I remember thinking at the time, this is not progress. My long search for that right sound began then.

Phil A

Re: How I started
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2022, 07:11 pm »
Welcome to AC!

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2022, 08:39 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle. I like those old HH Scott receivers too.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2022, 09:56 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2022, 05:48 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC HenryB   :thumb:

HenryB

Kit Project
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2022, 05:38 pm »
My last project in DynaKit form was building a Dyna 416 Amp. This is an old school fairly massive design with a two speed fan and 200 watts per side. It has a number of interesting features including an adjustable "DynaGuard" to protect your speakers. This amp connected thru the Bose 901 equalizer to a pair of ceiling-hanging Bose 901s sounded wonderful. I will never forget hearing Keith Jarrett's Koln concert with this setup. Just a transporting experience. It made the work of building the 416 worth it. I have since migrated to a more sophisticated system but I still remember the thrill of the old one. A good system can take you there and back. I have found success with a different set of components that are almost a good as the old one. Of course, I still have the 416 but it needs repair, probably shot capacitors.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Kit Project
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2022, 09:47 pm »
My last project in DynaKit form was building a Dyna 416 Amp. This is an old school fairly massive design with a two speed fan and 200 watts per side. It has a number of interesting features including an adjustable "DynaGuard" to protect your speakers. This amp connected thru the Bose 901 equalizer to a pair of ceiling-hanging Bose 901s sounded wonderful. I will never forget hearing Keith Jarrett's Koln concert with this setup. Just a transporting experience. It made the work of building the 416 worth it. I have since migrated to a more sophisticated system but I still remember the thrill of the old one. A good system can take you there and back. I have found success with a different set of components that are almost a good as the old one. Of course, I still have the 416 but it needs repair, probably shot capacitors.
Welcome Again, I will merge this topic with the previous you started in this circle.

HenryB

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2022, 12:37 am »
I keep coming back to my pair of Klipsch Cornwall IIs. The simply have the virtues I need to overcome the faults i can ignore. It appeals to me also how efficient they are both technically and in terms of dollars spent and results delivered. I suspect the new Cornwall IVs are even better.

The nice thing about this type of speaker is they can be driven by less expensive amplifiers. For example i am getting good results using the Shiit Ragnarok-2 as well as any version of the Dynaco ST70. They sound good with the Van Alstine Ultravalve amp too.