How many pairs of BePure 2s are out there?

TKonrad.NOLA

How many pairs of BePure 2s are out there?
« on: 2 Jun 2022, 05:05 pm »
BePure 2 owners, show us some pics.   Thanks in advance.

jsalk

Re: How many pairs of BePure 2s are out there?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2022, 07:03 pm »
Only two pairs have been released in the wild so far.  And those are pictured on our web site.

We received a couple of orders after Andrew Quint of The Abosolute Sound called the BePure 2's the "Best New Product" at the Capital Audiofest.  After receiving a "Best of Show" award at AXPONA, we recieved quite a few more orders.  So we currently have about 12 - 15 pairs in process right now and you should start seeing them in the wild soon.

- Jim

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2022, 07:30 pm »
That awesome news.  Congrats on the positive response to those shows.   I am looking forward to getting my pair.
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2022, 01:25 am by TKonrad.NOLA »

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2022, 01:09 am »
Only two pairs have been released in the wild so far.  And those are pictured on our web site.

We received a couple of orders after Andrew Quint of The Abosolute Sound called the BePure 2's the "Best New Product" at the Capital Audiofest.  After receiving a "Best of Show" award at AXPONA, we recieved quite a few more orders.  So we currently have about 12 - 15 pairs in process right now and you should start seeing them in the wild soon.

- Jim
I missed the Axpona award--what was that?

GlennDog

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2022, 12:31 pm »
Is there a pair in-house to audition?

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2022, 01:51 pm »
Is there a pair in-house to audition?

Yes.

- Jim

DFpritchard

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2022, 11:31 pm »
Just ordered a pair of BePure2 to replace my Song3s.  Last upgrade.  As Janis put it, I wait for delivery each day until three....

kneat

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2022, 08:05 pm »
Jim, can you briefly describe the key sonic differences between the BePure2 and my SS8's. We just moved to a much smaller house and am wondering if I would regret downsizing to the BP2's. Thanks.

Terry

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2022, 07:08 pm »
Jim, can you briefly describe the key sonic differences between the BePure2 and my SS8's. We just moved to a much smaller house and am wondering if I would regret downsizing to the BP2's. Thanks.

Terry

Sorry for the delayed response.  We were "off the grid" in northern MN and just got back today.

The BePure 2's are quite a bit smaller in stature, but they play down to 32 Hz which is surprising for a speaker its size.  It is extremely smooth top to bottom, quite detailed in the mids, very transparent and detailed on the top end, and extremely low in distortion.   About the only area where the SS8's prevails is in terms of bass extension.  But at 32Hz, you have most of the frequency spectrum covered.  About the lowest note in most music is 29Hz.  So you wouldn't likely notice all that much difference in bass extension.  Other than that, the BePure 2's would be tops in just about every other respect.

I hope this helps.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2022, 02:44 pm by jsalk »

TomS

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2022, 09:40 pm »
Sorry for the delayed response.  We were "off the grid" in northern MN and just got back today.

The BePure 2's are quite a bit smaller in stature, but they play down to 32 Hz which is surprising for a speaker its size.  It is extremely smooth top to bottom, quite detailed in the mids. very transparent and detailed on the top end and extremely low in distortion.   About the only area where the SS8's prevails is in terms of bass extension.  But at 32Hz, you have most of the frequency spectrum covered.  About the lowest note in most music is 29Hz.  So you wouldn't likely notice all that much difference in bass extension.  Other than that, the BePure 2's would be tops in just about every other respect.

I hope this helps.

- Jim
Any plans to give a 3-way a go with the new Purifi 8"?

kneat

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2022, 11:13 pm »
Thanks Jim - I was afraid you would say that. Need to give it a bit more thought and discuss with the boss :wink:

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2022, 02:48 pm »
Any plans to give a 3-way a go with the new Purifi 8"?

I have been in contact with Purifi and production will begin on the 8" woofer sometime in July.  We have already designed a test cabinet and will be building it shortly.  Will we introduce a 3-way model with the 8" driver?  It all depends on how it turns out.  But based on our experience with the 6.5" Purifi drivers, my guess is that it will turn out well.  If that is the case, we would probably offer this new design for sale in September or so.  The first show we would display them at would be the Capital Audiofest in November.

I should note that they will be somewhat expensive (relative to many of our previous 3-way models).

- Jim

Oostexan

« Reply #12 on: 17 Aug 2022, 01:48 am »
I have been in contact with Purifi and production will begin on the 8" woofer sometime in July.  We have already designed a test cabinet and will be building it shortly.  Will we introduce a 3-way model with the 8" driver?  It all depends on how it turns out.  But based on our experience with the 6.5" Purifi drivers, my guess is that it will turn out well.  If that is the case, we would probably offer this new design for sale in September or so.  The first show we would display them at would be the Capital Audiofest in November.

I should note that they will be somewhat expensive (relative to many of our previous 3-way models).

- Jim

Hey Jim…just thought I would check-in to see if there is an update on integrating the new 8” woofer into a three way.  Any idea what a range would be for pricing?

jsalk

« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2022, 01:31 pm »
Hey Jim…just thought I would check-in to see if there is an update on integrating the new 8” woofer into a three way.  Any idea what a range would be for pricing?

Last I talked to Purifi, they were going to start producing the 8" drivers in July.  We're past that now, but I notice it is still listed as "Preliminary" at this point.  So I don't know the release date yet.  But we have a standing order once they are released.

As for pricing, I won't know for certain until we know what the crossover will cost and how complicated the cabinet will be.  At the recent Pacific Audiofest, there was a company offering a monitor speaker with a single Purifi woofer and Be tweeter for $15,000 per pair.  Our BePure 2's have dual woofers and the current price is $6895...less than half.  But our margins have always been small.  I would expect a 3-way version with the 8" woofer, if the design works out, will be around $12,000 per pair.

- Jim

AllanS

« Reply #14 on: 18 Aug 2022, 11:29 am »
Hey Jim.  You did something very different with the cabinet that is similar to the SS9.5  Was this a cosmetic or functional choice?  I’m curious in part because of another thread that is “discussing” enclosure designs. Thanks.

jsalk

« Reply #15 on: 18 Aug 2022, 03:11 pm »
Hey Jim.  You did something very different with the cabinet that is similar to the SS9.5  Was this a cosmetic or functional choice?  I’m curious in part because of another thread that is “discussing” enclosure designs. Thanks.

I'll try to make this as short as possible.  It has to do with diffraction control.

When sound leaves a driver, it tries to go in all directions.  High frequency sounds have a wavelength that is too short to go completely around the cabinet.  So those frequencies reflect off the front baffle and are directed outward.  As frequencies get lower, their wavelengths get longer.  Deep bass frequencies have wavelengths so long that they bypass the cabinet edges altogether and go completely around the cabinet. 

You can hear this if you stand behind a speaker while it is playing.  You can clearly hear bass and a good deal of midrange, but not much treble.

So what happens when the wavelength of a frequency equals the distance from the driver to the edge of the cabinet?  Think of it like wind hitting the edge of a building.  There is turbulance created at that frequency that is referred to as "edge diffraction." You can see this in measurements. (How audible are they?  That is a question for another day.)

The easiest cabinet to build is one that is rectangular and has 90-degree front edges.  That is why you see so many speaker designs with no edge treatment at all.  All of these types of cabinets will create a maximum amount of edge diffraction - not ideal.  So what do you do about it?

There are a few ways to deal with edge diffraction.

The first is to off-set drivers.  The idea here is that the distance from the driver to the cabinet edge on the left side is different than the distance to the right side.  The edge diffraction will then occur at two different frequencies, but with half the amplitude for each.  So the impact of those diffraction artifacts will, overall, be less.

Another diffraction control remedy is to round-over or chamfer the cabinet edges to provide a smoother transition, creating less distortion in the process.  You see this on almost all of our speakers to some degree or another.

Another option is to slant the cabinet edges, or do a graduated round-over or chamfer as you see in speakers like the SS9.5's and BePure 2's.  Building cabinets this way is a much more complicated and labor-intensive way of dealing with diffraction issues, but has several benefits.

First, it utilizes the benefits of round-overs or chamfers.  In addtion, it also continually varies the distance from the drivers to the cabinet edges, spreading the remaining artifacts over a range of frequencies with very little amplitude for each frequency. 

While this edge treatment offers many benefits, there is a down-side related to cost.  Instead of having to veneer five cabinet panels (front, rear, top and two sides), you now have three (BePure 2) or five (SS 9.5) additional surfaces to veneer and each takes a few hours to accomplish.  But to us, it makes sense on higher priced models to do everything you can to take advantage of the performance of the high end drivers used in those designs. And, in my opinion, it has aesthetic benefits as well.

I hope that made sense.

- Jim

AllanS

« Reply #16 on: 20 Aug 2022, 01:34 am »
I'll try to make this as short as possible.  It has to do with diffraction control.

Many thanks Jim.  You could have stopped after diffraction control but chose to provide a comprehensive explanation which I and other readers will appreciate.  I had to read it a couple of times for it all to sink in.  But it made good sense and I also learned a couple of things about my BMRs and Supercharged SongSurrounds along the way.  I’m sure they sound excellent but agree they also look fantastic.
Thanks again.
Allan