Long time listener, first time caller...

bigred727

Long time listener, first time caller...
« on: 31 May 2022, 10:02 pm »
I'm excited to join this board and hopefully learn to love music the way that many of you already do!  I was raised outside of Tulsa, OK but in a family without any musically inclined friends or family members, so never developed any true skills or appreciation.  I have always loved to listen to music and to dance, but just no clue of how to truly appreciate music.  That said, I'm older and richer now so I am hoping to take the time to learn more about what being an audiophile is all about (and buy some sweet new listening tools!!!).

I'm grateful for any help and advice you all can provide + pre-apologize for dumb questions + hopeful that I can eventually give back to the board in some way!!

/Troy

Nick B

Re: Long time listener, first time caller...
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2022, 10:40 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb: Lots of helpful guys here.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2022, 10:50 pm »
My suggestion are dont walk, run from 4Ω and low sensitivity speakers under 96dB, instead prefer small tube amps(inexpensive) and hi sensitivity speakers as 100dB and benign impedance, if possible crossoverless and OB:
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/lii-audio-f18.html

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2022, 11:04 pm »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2022, 10:56 pm »
Welcome!

Note that FullRangeMan lives in one of audio extremes.  Audio runs the spectrum from solid state (including class D) to tube amplification, vinyl to CD's to streaming, speakers ranging from sealed to ported to open baffle to active monitors and beyond.  The middle ground is the most congested.  Budget is another tough one, but the Cheap and Cheerful Circle is here to help.  Another aspect is DIY for the more rough and tumble hobbyists.  Except for the headphone crowd, the room is another major consideration that often gets overlooked. 

Look for a local club (check out the Regional Circle here), go to live shows as well as audio shows, read reviews (most with a big grain of salt).  Like anything you've got to evalutate the source of your information.