How do audiophiles meet and informally audition equipment? And, Introducion

tonionc50

Hello,

My name is Antonio from Durham, NC.  Music lover and amateur drummer.  My very first system that sounded amazing to me was a pair of DQ10's and a small but powerful Carver Amp/Preamp combo. Maybe it was the M 1.5? This was like audio revelation having had very cheap gear before this. Eventually, I found some amazing used deals at an Audio Store in Wrightsville, NC, that used to carry amazing vintage gear. I ended up saving and getting a Conrad Johnson MF2250 solid state amp and a Conrad Johnson PV11 preamp. It was even better. Then I found a pair of Alon MkV speakers and it was even better...and the journey has continued.

I am excited to be part of this AudioCircle and look forward to learning from experienced audiophiles. I sure wish there were more local audiphile clubs to be able to actually hear other's systems, make friends in the same hobby, even try swapping equipment, etc.

I love jazz, Brazilian music (it is so diverse), acoustic guitar, folk, R&B, classical, classic rock, electronic, and love learning about new artists.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
Please see our Krautrock thread:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=157199.0

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Welcome!

You're in luck.  We have lots of members from North Carolina.  Just check out the Regional Audiophiles Circles under the Circles tab.

Phil A

rockadanny

I will often look to see where a poster is located and if local, I will contact to see if interested in getting together, or allowing me to hear their kit, or inviting them to come over and hear mine. I also do this with people who post FOR SALE ads on either Craigslist or usaudiomart. Although this results in maybe only one or two connections per year, I've met some wonderful people this way.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: How do audiophiles meet and informally audition equipment?
To answer your question see the Regional Audiophiles area:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=55.0

Rusty Jefferson

When I started getting back into audio I posted a "wanted to audition" ad at Audiogon to try and hear some Magnepan IVa speakers in my area. Within a week somebody reached out and invited me to their house along with several others. As it happens, some of these people were in a local club and they invited me to start attending meet ups with them. A couple of these people have become very close friends, and there's always someone willing to have 1 or 2 people over at the drop of a hat to listen.  I was very fortunate to meet these folks.

tonionc

Thank you to everyone who has replied! Great information. I have a quick question. Someone sent me a personal message about getting together in Durham, but I was not able to reply to personal messages. I also have posted over 3 posts but my account shows zero. Thanks for any advice on this.

Take care,
Antonio

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
Thank you to everyone who has replied! Great information. I have a quick question. Someone sent me a personal message about getting together in Durham, but I was not able to reply to personal messages. I also have posted over 3 posts but my account shows zero. Thanks for any advice on this.

Take care,
Antonio
This is your first post.
After 3 approved posts your will able to use PMs.
What Circle do you posted?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Greetings & Welcome to AC Antonio   :thumb:

This is your first post.
After 3 approved posts your will able to use PMs.
What Circle do you posted?

FRM, I'm guessing he started a new ID for that post, but started this thread as tonionc50.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
Greetings & Welcome to AC Antonio   :thumb:

FRM, I'm guessing he started a new ID for that post, but started this thread as tonionc50.
Thanks Arthur appreciated,
two accounts are not allowed.
Tonionc are from 2012
Tonionc50 are from 2022
I cant solve this, I will pass it to the Admin address it.

ServerAdmin

As mentioned you have logged into an old account that you never used. Please log in with your tonionc50 account and I'll then close this one.

Bob Stark

Hey Antonio!

I found 2 new friends by selling and/or buying something from them or to them and we hit it off and have become very good friends.  They both lived within 30 minutes of me initially, but one moved to Florida a couple years ago.  We still talk on the phone or text quite a bit, and may get a chance to hang out for a couple hours in just a couple weeks as I'm heading to one of my son's house within 45 minutes of my friend.  After 4 days, I'm heading to my daughter's home in South Carolina for a few more.  I hopefully also get to see my stepson's family in North Carolina while I'm visiting.  Getting back to my friends, we have been friend's now for about 10-12 years since the initial sale.  The 3 of us used to get together at least a couple times a year until the one moved.  Sharing a hobby we all love to talk about and listen often, we are also the second or third set of objective ears when we add something to our systems.  And, our systems are very different, but there are some similarities, KT knows--they are each very good sounding systems now.  We each get some pleasure out of helping the others improve their systems in addition to our own.  Thanks Bob A. and Scott W.!!!  Most of the people you will meet that are into this hobby are good folk.  Since most of America would not want to talk music and systems, it's very nice to have a few close friends who do.  We are beginning to expand our mutual interests that we may explore--as in golf, basketball, or football--mostly viewing at our age for the last 2 at this point.

Bob S.