Hello from Melbourne

option-up

Hello from Melbourne
« on: 17 May 2022, 01:18 pm »
G'day from Oz.

After seeing and hearing the M3 Sapphires on YouTube (New Record Day) back in about November last year, I became fascinated by open baffle speakers. When I saw the release of the M4 and M6 models late last year, I was determined to own a pair one day. Finally this month I was in a position to put things into motion.

After emailing Spatial a couple of weeks ago and getting no reply (this was straight after AXPONA), I found out that Spatial have a local retailer here in Australia. (Once again; they were previously sold here by a local store up until about 2019 i think.)

So, I placed my order this morning on a pair of white M4 Sapphires, and I'm told they will be in the first delivery here to Australia, arriving in a few weeks. I can hardly believe my luck; I thought I would be waiting months before I could get my hands on some! I have read so many of the comments here on this forum; thanks to you all. They have stoked my enthusiasm and made me sure this was going to be a sound decision.

I'll be driving them with an Audion Super Sterling KT150 (single ended; 25W). See the biggest picture on this page: http://tubeamps.co.uk/product/sterling-anniversary-series. I'm thinking it will be a good match.) I'll just have to get the output transformers re-wired from their 8ohm taps to their 4ohm ones - no big deal.)

I'll add updates (and no doubt a few questions) once they arrive.

option-up

Re: Hello from Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2022, 04:14 am »
Can anyone confirm if 25W into 8 ohm will be enough to drive the M4s comfortably? I think so. I think power output into 4 ohm will be similar from the amp, and with KT150s the current should have a fairly strong grip on the speakers. Furthermore, my room is mid-sized and I'll only be about 7 feet away from the speakers.

If this helps, see this room plan and my imagined placement.

Alex-San

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2022, 04:32 am »
Welcome.
My white M4s arrived a few weeks ago, you are in for a treat.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2022, 02:11 pm »
Welcome!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2022, 03:29 pm »
For the M4, 25 tube watts should be plenty.  Have you ever heard speakers with a large, high efficiency, paper based midrange driver before?  If not, you are in for quite a treat.  I find they present male vocals in particular better than anything else out there.  Just effortless power in the lower mids (where most speakers struggle a bit). 

Also, welcome to AC!

Grahamps

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2022, 11:52 pm »
My M3S are super dynamic with 13-15 wpc. Maybe, I've driven them to clipping once?

Is your TV connected to your hi-fi? The occasional movie night, and music videos, are very engaging through these speakers!

Enjoy!

option-up

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2022, 02:31 am »
Hi everyone. Thanks for all the welcomes.

No @Tyson, I haven't heard a tube amp drive paper coned speakers. My current speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 300 floor standers (also 90 dB/1 W sensitivity) and the Audion drives those loud enough easily (with ceramic coated metal cones). As I said, it's a reasonably small listening room.

And @Grahamps I also don't have the amp hooked up to the TV, but I'm about to pick up a second hand passive preamp on the weekend, so I'll be able to add a second source easily. I can imagine what a huge difference that will make compared to the terrible speakers in the TV.

option-up

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2022, 05:07 am »
My M4s should be at my doorstep by the end of the week. I got word today they've been picked up by the courier in Brisbane and are en route to Melbourne.  :D :D

franSSS

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2022, 08:19 am »
My M4s should be at my doorstep by the end of the week. I got word today they've been picked up by the courier in Brisbane and are en route to Melbourne.  :D :D

oooooo Happiness!! Better give us feedback :popcorn:

Tangram

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2022, 02:30 pm »
Congratulations! That's great that Spatials are finding homes around the world. Let us know your impressions once you have them bedded down.

option-up

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jun 2022, 02:32 pm »
They're here! At last. Set up was very straight forward and took me about 30 minutes. Now break in begins...

doggie

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2022, 03:43 pm »
They're here! At last. Set up was very straight forward and took me about 30 minutes. Now break in begins...

Congrats! They look great in white.

BTW. If you keep your old speakers near the Spatials they will absorb some of the Spatials output by pressurizing the drivers on the old speakers and absorbing energy. Best to move them out of the room if you have the space.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jun 2022, 11:11 pm »

One of the few hobbies where you get your new stuff, set it up and then try to break them.

option-up

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jun 2022, 11:31 pm »
Yes, I really like the look of them in white. The only other colours I would contemplate are graphite or red, but either would stand out a mile in my light coloured room. Despite photos and videos and knowing the dimensions, it was still a little hard to gauge the size of these since I bought them sight unseen. White is understated but also elegant; which is fine by me.

My old speakers are up for sale. They will be gone soon I hope. While these break in I don't mind having both in the room :)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #14 on: 23 Jun 2022, 11:54 pm »
They look very elegant.

mvalentiner

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jun 2022, 02:48 pm »
Congrats! My M4s arrived two weeks ago and I reached the 100 hour break-in point about a week ago. They keep getting better. This thread has some helpful tips for break-in: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=182166.0. Particularly, playing pink noise when not home and through the night. Enjoy!