SP3 Apple TV Music App and Dolby Atmos playback

hipp

SP3 Apple TV Music App and Dolby Atmos playback
« on: 21 Apr 2022, 09:24 pm »
I am playing Dolby Atmos downloads/streaming using the Apple TV connected to the SP3 via the HDMI input.
The Apple TV decodes the music file and outputs PCM 48.
The SP3 indicates That the input signal being received from the Apple TV is PCM 48k 7.1.
The output signal on the SP3 shows as 7.1 (only)

The audio signal that I hear is however 5.1  the 6th and 7th speakers receive no apparent audio.

The SP3 default output mode I use with the Apple TV is Dolby Digital PLii2x Cinema 7.1. So the Output mode is changed to the 7.1 (only)when receiving the Apple TV decoded PCM signal from the Atmos track.

A stereo signal from the Apple TV is sent as PCM 48k 2/0,0 and is output in the default DD PLii2x Cinema 7.1, playing correctly through all 7 speakers.

Question.

What is the SP3 receiving from the decoded Apple TV Dolby Atmos? Shows 7.1 in and out but only plays 5 channels not 7. Are the 2 channels not heard  the missing Dolby Atmos height channels?

I was hoping that the SP3 receiving 7.1 PCM in would play 7.1 out. A sort of 7.1 rendition of ATMOS. But although the SP3 is showing 7.1 out there seems to be 2 silent tracks.

The same results obviously occur when playing a Dolby Atmos movie soundtrack from the Apple TV.
SP3 displays 7.1 PCM in and 7.1 (only) out but only outputs 5.1.

(And Prime Video and any Dolby Atmos decoded into PCM 7.1  results in the same output of 5.1). 

Any explanation would be most appreciated!

Thanks
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2022, 11:18 pm by hipp »