Wyrmwood double feature: horror-action-zombie-comedy in Australian outback

WGH

The Wyrmwood movies "Road of the Dead" and "Apocalypse" are what happens when you combine Mad Max and The Evil Dead together along with shotguns and a mad doctor. The films must be watched together for the full effect, each film is only 90 minutes long, together they are shorter than a superhero movie and a lot more fun. I like the quote from the NY Times review:

“Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead” was about as calm as a Chihuahua on cocaine, and its new sequel is no exception."

Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (2015) starts out with a meteor shower, a mysterious plague happens and zombies start attacking everyone in the Australian outback. A low budget film that punches way above it's weight. Barry (Jay Gallagher) leads a motley group of survivors on the road to rescue his sister Brooke. The action is non-stop, it takes off and never lets up.

Wyrmwood: Apocalypse (2022) follows the survivors with a focus on Rhys, an ex-soldier surviving in the zombie-infested Australian outback. Rhys is on an arc of redemption as he turns against his evil bosses and joins forces with a group of rebel survivors to help rescue a girl who holds the cure to the virus.

Both film are directed by Kiah Roache-Turner and written by Kiah Roache-Turner and Tristan Roache-Turner.

Together, the Wyrmwood films are the gold standard of how zombie action films should be made.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

mjosef

Hah...I do have this in my queue, rec. from that VanDamn(?) guy on YouTube.