By way of presentation.

Dan61

By way of presentation.
« on: 15 Apr 2022, 01:57 pm »
Hello. I am a new on this forum. I am Francophone. It is therefore possible that my English is deficient. Please don't hold it against me.Thank you. :)

Yog Sothoth

Re: By way of presentation.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2022, 02:40 pm »
No problem!  Glad to see you here.

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2022, 03:40 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle

Dan61

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2022, 09:17 pm »
Hi. I'm looking for information to put three different speakers into perspective. Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G, Martin Logan Motion 60Xti and Bryston A2. If you have informed opinions, I would like to know them. Thank you. In fact, which would you choose?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2022, 10:56 pm »
You would consider a DIY speaker if you have a carpenter as a full range driver or even using a xover.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2022, 12:45 am »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2022, 01:13 pm »
Welcome!

Loudspeakers simply must be auditioned (properly) before purchase.  Proper listening includes long sessions with music you're familiar with in decent room(s) and taking notes. 

I'm a fan of single driver designs and active monitors (where the designer picks one channel of amplification per driver).  Active monitors is what the professionals use to record, mix, and produce your music with.  Am not a fan of multiple tweeters, midrange drivers, or woofers as it causes all sorts of phasing/imaging issues.  Why do they need so many drivers?  Have you looked into the Buchardt A500 (compact active 2/3 way with (3) 150 watt amps and (3) DACs built-in, rated 25 - 20,000 Hz, room correction DSP can easily be added, just add a source.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2022, 11:31 pm »
Hi. I'm looking for information to put three different speakers into perspective. Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G, Martin Logan Motion 60Xti and Bryston A2. If you have informed opinions, I would like to know them. Thank you. In fact, which would you choose?

My son and I auditioned the ML Motions and they were bright and thin sounding compared to a pair of KEF R7's.  We were not impressed.  The Motions need careful matching with a full and warmer sounding system.   I heard the bigger brother of that Bryston speaker, the Model T at and audio show with Bryston gear and they sounded great.  I would go with the A2's or the Silver's as I am a Monitor Audio fan and I am thinking about selling my Magnepans and buying the MA Gold 5G 300's.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2022, 02:03 am »
I'm a fan of single driver designs and active monitors (where the designer picks one channel of amplification per driver).  Active monitors is what the professionals use to record, mix, and produce your music with.  Am not a fan of multiple tweeters, midrange drivers, or woofers as it causes all sorts of phasing/imaging issues.  Why do they need so many drivers? 
We are exotic birds in audio, what counts is what the magazines says, what we tell is viewed with suspicion or indifference, worth nothing, the brainwashing of the media is very deep and nobody studies or researches anything, engineers are dead to audio and audiophiles even came to praise crossovers and some even want to improve them.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2022, 03:14 am »
Welcome!

Loudspeakers simply must be auditioned (properly) before purchase.  Proper listening includes long sessions with music you're familiar with in decent room(s) and taking notes. 

I'm a fan of single driver designs and active monitors (where the designer picks one channel of amplification per driver).  Active monitors is what the professionals use to record, mix, and produce your music with.  Am not a fan of multiple tweeters, midrange drivers, or woofers as it causes all sorts of phasing/imaging issues.  Why do they need so many drivers?  Have you looked into the Buchardt A500 (compact active 2/3 way with (3) 150 watt amps and (3) DACs built-in, rated 25 - 20,000 Hz, room correction DSP can easily be added, just add a source.

Have you heard the Bryston speakers well set up?

The Bryston room that I heard at RMAF sounded great.  I am not trying to argue with your statements but the speakers sounded great.  It was a bigger room and the speakers certainly filled it with good sound.

NoahH

« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2022, 05:47 am »
I don't know the others, but I have not been impressed by the Motion series ever.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2022, 12:10 pm »

Have you heard the Bryston speakers well set up?

The Bryston room that I heard at RMAF sounded great.  I am not trying to argue with your statements but the speakers sounded great.  It was a bigger room and the speakers certainly filled it with good sound.

Nope, much of what I think comes from theory based on facts.  The only multi-driver loudspeaker that makes sense to me is the Selah CBT array (severe backwards curve of midrange drivers and tweeters to keep the drivers in phase).  But even those I have no interest in (too much wire and cheap drivers to keep cost reasonable).  The best overall loudspeaker I've ever heard/owned is the JBL 708P (2-way active). 

Dan61

« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2022, 03:49 pm »
I thought about the DIY speaker, but it's a big project for me. Maybe that will be for later.
My electronics are Bryston BP-17 cubed and 3B cubed. I don't plan to switch to active speakers. It's too expensive for me right now. Especially at three amps. This is an ideal too far. I'm a fan of taking one small step at a time, there's less risk of becoming jaded.
I see small improvements well and enjoy them for a while before asking for more. I currently have Monitor Audio Silver RX8. I believe the 500 would be fine, three generations later. Or another better at a similar price.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 18 Apr 2022, 06:19 pm »
I thought about the DIY speaker, but it's a big project for me. Maybe that will be for later.
My electronics are Bryston BP-17 cubed and 3B cubed. I don't plan to switch to active speakers. It's too expensive for me right now. Especially at three amps. This is an ideal too far. I'm a fan of taking one small step at a time, there's less risk of becoming jaded.
I see small improvements well and enjoy them for a while before asking for more. I currently have Monitor Audio Silver RX8. I believe the 500 would be fine, three generations later. Or another better at a similar price.

I own a pair of RX1's.  A great little speaker for sure that I use in a bedroom system.  The new line of MA's are supposed to be excellent.  The Brystons may be the way to go for synergy with your Bryston gear.  Here are 2 nice reviews of the A2's-

http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/2016/02/audiophile-review-bryston-a2-three-way.html

https://novo.press/bryston-model-a2-loudspeakers-review/

Sorry  I can't give you a personal user review of them but the Model T's are excellent sounding.  Very natural and neutral sounding.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2022, 12:44 am »
A fullrange driver always is a simple project and now with the OB Lii F15 $400/each or F18 also is a cheap project, but you can use a Bass Reflex box with the F15.
https://www.lii-audio.com/product/recommended-15-full-range-speaker-driver-for-music-loudspeaker-with-tube-amplifier-f-15-in-pair

https://www.lii-audio.com/product/one-pair-18-inch-full-range-speakers-superb-scale-soundstage-with-new-imaging-f-18/

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZMS.html

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2022, 02:17 am »
Bonjour and Welcome to AC Dan   :thumb: