Connecting a sub

Stanthedog

Connecting a sub
« on: 5 Apr 2022, 06:36 am »
Hello all,

New here and looking for some advice.  Being a bit of a technoduf, I would like to know if I can attach a sub woofer to my moon neo 350p pre amp. It is currently using the xlr out to connect to my ps audio stellar power amp. That leaves an rca out connection free. Can I use this to connect to a powered sub woofer?
Thanks for your sage advice

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Connecting a sub
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2022, 06:38 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

Craig B

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2022, 11:27 am »
You might need to check with Moon. I know PS Audio says their preamps can run both outputs simultaneously without problems, though you need to goose the sub's volume control to compensate for the fact that their unbalanced outs have about 6dB less gain than the balanced ones. But other manufacturer's designs may be different in that regard.

If your sub has high-level inputs, you can just run an extra set of speaker cables from the power amp's terminals to the sub.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2022, 12:24 pm »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2022, 01:18 pm »
You might need to check with Moon. I know PS Audio says their preamps can run both outputs simultaneously without problems, though you need to goose the sub's volume control to compensate for the fact that their unbalanced outs have about 6dB less gain than the balanced ones. But other manufacturer's designs may be different in that regard.

If your sub has high-level inputs, you can just run an extra set of speaker cables from the power amp's terminals to the sub.

Welcome!

Yes both methods should work.  Don't worry about the second method draining power, it only "senses" the signal and still uses it's own power amp.  Some prefer this method as it adds the sound of your power amp to the subwoofer.  But it also requires an extra set of more expensive speaker cable versus interconnects output connections at the power amp that can handle two sets of connecting cables.  Some subwoofers have high powered outputs so you can run the power for the loudspeakers through the subwoofer.  Confused yet?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2022, 02:23 pm »
Welcome!

Yes both methods should work.  Don't worry about the second method draining power, it only "senses" the signal and still uses it's own power amp.  Some prefer this method as it adds the sound of your power amp to the subwoofer.  But it also requires an extra set of more expensive speaker cable versus interconnects output connections at the power amp that can handle two sets of connecting cables.  Some subwoofers have high powered outputs so you can run the power for the loudspeakers through the subwoofer.  Confused yet?

:scratch:

Doesn't make any sense to me.
Why does the extra set of speaker wires need to be more expensive?
Most amplifiers can be used with 2 sets of speaker wire even if there is only one pair of binding posts (especially if the wire used for the sub amp signal is relatively thin).
There are at least 3 ways to hook up a sub and main speakers with speaker wire and 2 don't require the main amp to have 2 sets of wires connected.
What is a "high powered output" on a subwoofer?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2022, 02:28 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Stan   :thumb:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2022, 03:43 pm »
:scratch:

Doesn't make any sense to me.
Why does the extra set of speaker wires need to be more expensive?
Most amplifiers can be used with 2 sets of speaker wire even if there is only one pair of binding posts (especially if the wire used for the sub amp signal is relatively thin).
There are at least 3 ways to hook up a sub and main speakers with speaker wire and 2 don't require the main amp to have 2 sets of wires connected.
What is a "high powered output" on a subwoofer?

The speaker wires do not need to be expensive.  I think he was referring to the fact that speaker cables would be more expensive than a subwoofer cable.  You can use any speaker cable you want.