Time for the annual, "Are you keeping Netflix" thread!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Well, just like clockwork the price went up again.  And the word is they plan to start charging folks that share their password.  As it is I don't reliably watch it once a month but like many, I keep it "just in case" I get bored and want to watch something.  I love the Witcher but that's maybe two or three days to watch each year.  The saving grace for me has been that they have Star Trek TNG, one of my favorite shows...but I see they're losing it on April 1st. :( :duh:

How about you, my fellow ACers?  Do you have Netflix?  Do you watch it enough to justify the ever-rising fee?  I have Amazon Prime which I don't watch much either but I like Wheel of Time and The Boys, plus it's worth it just for the shipping.  I'm really debating if it's worth the money anymore to keep both.

Mag

Re: Time for the annual, "Are you keeping Netflix" thread!
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2022, 11:36 am »
  I have Amazon Prime, cancelled Netflix last year. I figured for the price of Netflix I could have music & movies. Like you I binge watch, not everyday but when in the mood will watch a few at a time. Just watched Burt Lancaster movies and one martial arts where the guy is similar to John Wick and kicks Ass!

With Prime I subscribe to MGM, it has the type of movies I like to watch like Chuck Norris, Charles Bronson, Pink Panther.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2022, 01:04 pm »
I use one of those shared passwords. If I was paying for it, goodbye Netflix.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2022, 01:12 pm »
I have no cable service, everything is streaming or the couple of channels I get on the antenna up here in the mountains (4).  So I've held onto Netflix for the content, but I'm watching it less and less compared with Prime.  I picked up Sling for the football playoffs season with everything being on ESPN, then kept it for CNN's coverage of WWIII, but I find the old model of being available at 8pm on Thursdays to watch some show incredibly tedious, so I just cancelled it yesterday.  I also maintain Peacock and Paramount for the network content for cheap.  So I'm thinking of dumping Netflix as well, possibly picking it up for the new Stranger Things season later this year.  I'm currently trying to watch as much Netflix as possible to evaluate it's value and catch anything I really want to watch before cancelling if I choose to.  Not finding a lot of unique stuff I can't do without.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2022, 04:22 pm »
I have generous friends, my brother shares his premium Netflix subscription with me so I get the Dolby Atmos streams, another friend shares an All Access NY Times Digital subscription (1 friend per account allowed) so in addition to the latest news I also get Wirecutter, Cooking, and most important - the Watching and Movies Update weekly newsletters. Without those newsletters I would be lost and never find the hidden gems on Netflix and other streaming services.

My friend Alice recommends getting Hulu if you only want one streaming service.

Netflix sometimes has good programs but most of the time it's my go-to place for the best B-Grade films and series available. Inventing Anna and The Adam Project were entertaining. The Power of the Dog and Don't Look Up are nominated for Academy Awards.

Black Crab was watchable because Noomi Rapace (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) starred.

Netflix movies to check out:

Against the Ice
The Bombardment
Never Back Down: Revolt

Plus Korean action, zombie, dramas are a "must see", Kingdom is one of the best with 2 seasons and a film. Another Korean movie on my list is:
The Pirates: The Last Royal Treasure
"The swordplay and characters present in South Korean period pieces lend themselves well to the tradition of swashbuckling action flicks. The 2014 film “The Pirates” understood that inherent aesthetic connection. Its spiritual sequel “The Pirates: The Last Royal Treasure,” by the South Korean director Kim Jeong-hoon, continues the concept by focusing on new characters. developing grander set pieces and expanding the franchise’s lore.

"In the year 1388, Goryeo generals stole the treasure belonging to Korea’s ruler, Yi Seong-gye, but haven’t been found since. Years later, Woo Moo-chi (Kang Ha-neul), a buffoonish bandit in the mold of Jack Sparrow from the “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise, teams with a no-nonsense pirate captain, Hae-Rang (Han Hyo-joo), to recover the bounty before their sole competition, the brutal Kang-Seob (Kim Sung-oh) finds it first.

"Slow-motion swordplay, and a series of winding clues, offers meat-and-potatoes genre hallmarks. Indelible set pieces include a killer whirlpool, a fight surrounded by a biblical lightning storm and a physics-breaking, mythical river raging within an ocean. These should not only delight fans of Greek tragedies, but also deliver supercharged thrills in an elaborate reimagining of what high-seas adventures can offer."