Headphones Mania - grand reopening

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Headphones Mania - grand reopening
« on: 14 Mar 2022, 11:58 am »
Good morning boys and girls, welcome to what was old is now new again.  We are reopening the Headphone Mania circle!

A circle devoted to the headspace and all things headphones.  Dynamic, planar, electrostatic, and whatever else comes along, Amps, cables, connectors, all are included.  The music you listen to and how you listen to it, at home, portable, underwater, whatever, it's all discussed here.  Let's have a ball.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: Headphones Mania - grand reopening
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2022, 01:43 pm »
Great to see this circle back in action!

Thanks to Letitroll98 for looking after it. :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2022, 04:26 pm »
Best wishes  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2022, 04:42 pm »
Good deal!

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2022, 08:45 pm »
Glad to see this back. 

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2022, 12:52 am »
Me too.  Beyer T1 and HD800 and otl tubes.

DavidS

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2022, 12:54 am »
good to see this back - have a bunch of headphones sadly between headphone amps (which can always be rectified  :P

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2022, 02:38 pm »
Good. This is the one area of quality audio that is actully growing. The rest of the industry seems to be focused on cornering the millionaire market. This goes on in the headphone segment too of course, but a headphone system dollar goes a lot further than a room-system dollar, it seems to me.

Craig B

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2022, 03:32 pm »
Could be interesting. I have a handful of ear buds and almost-IEMs (Ultimate Ears UE FITS), several throw-away headphones, wired and wireless. For main cans, I just sold a pair of hardly used HD-600s and now rely on a pair of Focal Elears.

Freo-1

« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2022, 06:54 pm »
Headphones allow for high end sound at a price point than a high end stereo setup.  Still, it can get a bit pricey. 

I know a lot of headphone enthusiasts have quite a number of headphones on hand.  Instead,  decided to get one primary pair for the vast majority of listening.  When I heard a pair of Abyss 1266 cans, I knew that was the headphone for me.  They do everything well. 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2022, 02:25 am »
Thank you for taking this on!  :thumb:

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2022, 02:28 am »
Headphones allow for high end sound at a price point than a high end stereo setup.  Still, it can get a bit pricey. 

Yes, there are "The price is the product" cans out there, but you can still get first rate sound for a song (couldn't stop myself) if you shop carefully and avoid the blingmongerers. It's getting harder and harder to do that with a speaker-based system. I have heard $20K speakers that don't resolve as well as my second gen Periodic 'Be' IEMs. Headphones will never have the same soundstaging capabilities as a set of good-imaging speakers well-placed in the right room, but what the heck.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2022, 03:29 am by dB Cooper »

Pez

« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2022, 05:55 am »
Aloha from Maui! On vacation and saw this! Really excited to see this circle back!

I’m rocking my Meze Lirics on my Hapa Audio KnØt pure silver headphone cable, Sony DAP and iFi Gryphon.

:thumb:

gefski

« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2022, 05:58 am »
Good to see some activity! I’ll definitely keep watching and pop in occasionally. We’ve moved and have some remodeling going on, including a “quiet room” for my headphone listening. In the meantime, I’ve carved out a space among stacks of boxes for a small listening station.

F208Frank

« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2022, 03:14 am »
Great to see this as I am primarily a headphone user, I love my Abyss TC!

AudioDuck

• Music. It’s all about the music.
« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2022, 06:37 am »
Hi all,

Glad to see this circle here- I’m a member of Head-Fi (same handle) and look forward to contributing and learning here as well.

I’ll share more about my setup in the string on that topic.

Enjoy the music,
Egil

dox1000

« Reply #16 on: 28 Oct 2022, 09:19 pm »
This is great!  I joined this group specifically for headphones and love that all it took was 8 posts form me to make this the next big thing (yes, I am kidding).  I've got some Focal Stellia and Utopias as well as the Abyss Phi keeping me warm this winter.  Looking for some ideas on DACs and amps (currently Qtest DAC and a Felix tube and IX Audio Solid State headphone amps), so I will be back to get some cool recommendations very soon.
Cheers!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #17 on: 29 Oct 2022, 11:13 am »
Welcome dox, I hope we can meet your expectations.