BDP-3 Network Issues and Initializing status

CDinsmore

BDP-3 Network Issues and Initializing status
« on: 12 Feb 2022, 06:59 pm »
1) Front panel continually in "Initializing" mode. I found this subject previously discussed on this forum and it said the most likely issue was a loose cable inside. Is that still the accepted, or most likely solution, for this issue? I bought my BDP-3 used and it has always done this....I didn't worry about it before as I never really needed to access the front screen and it didn't seem to interfere with the functionality in any way.

2) I have a hard wired ethernet cable connecting my PC/Router/Modem to my BDP. I rip CDs to the HD connected to one of the USB ports on the rear of the BDP. I can typically see my BDP and HD via Microsoft Internet Explorer on my PC. Everything was just fine until just a few days ago when my BDP-3 dropped off the network. I'm not technically inclined, but here are all the steps and observations I have made:
    a) Checked all connections
    b) Updated firmware to S2.44 2021-10-05
    c) Checked my router and I see the BDP listed as being on the network. I assigned a DCHP reservation using the same IP address I see on the BDP's Dashboard as recommended in the user manual. Under Network Interfaces on the BDP's Dashboard it currently shows the Interface: etho as DHCP. I tried changing that to Static and I get a message saying that "Safari Can't Connect to the Server". Also - under Network Interface screen the Gateway field is blank. I tried saving my router's IP address there, but I got another "Safari Can't Connect to the Server" message. Should something be there? The manual doesn't seem to address this.
    d) Rebooted BDP-3 and PC.
    e) I can play music just fine using MPD via a notebook computer via Wi-Fi set up through my router.
    f) The manual says that a successful network connection is indicated by green and amber LEDs lighting on the BDP-3's ethernet port. I see reddish orange and amber LEDs, so this looks like a clue to the issue.
    g) I tried posting this to Bryston's Support forum, but couldn't figure out for the life of me how to create a new posting.

« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2022, 11:45 pm by CDinsmore »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-3 Network Issues and Initializing status
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2022, 09:32 pm »
Hi - I am sending this to Chris to see if he can help.

james

CDinsmore

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2022, 10:48 pm »
Thanks James, I appreciate it.

vonnie123

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2022, 05:47 am »
What is the firmware version? 

CDinsmore

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2022, 05:35 pm »
Under Update Firmware on the Dashboard it says S2.44 2021-10-05

CDinsmore

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2022, 05:56 pm »
Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to network issues, but got the idea of trying to ping the BDP-3 from my windows command prompt. So I typed "Ping 192.168.1.159" and it says four pings were sent and received. 192.168.1.159 is the IP Address I see on the "Network Interfaces" screen in the BDP dashboard.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2022, 06:12 pm »
Email Adam - atanner@bryston.com

james

CDinsmore

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2022, 06:38 pm »
I noticed today that there was a Windows update done to my system on 2/9/2022. The first time I looked at my network after that update was 2/12/2022 and that is when I first noticed the issue with the BDP not showing up. Is there a way to roll back the update to see if that fixes the issue? I also have Norton security so I turned it off to see if that was the issue - it wasn't as the BDP is still MIA.

The two updates done on 2/92/2022 are:

Security Update for Microsoft Windows KB5010342 & Update for Microsoft Windows KB5009467

CDinsmore

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2022, 09:58 pm »
In case this might help someone else, with Adam Tanner's help, we were able to determine a solution for my network issue. The problem was tied to the Windows security update mentioned previously. The update turned off the SMB1 sharing access and turned on SMB2. According to Adam, the BDP requires SMB1 in order to show up on your network. Here is a link to how to turn SMB1 back on: https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/enable-smb1-win10.html

We're still trying to figure out what is causing the front panel to say "Initializing......" for extended time. This particular issue does appear to be causing any issues with playing music, ripping new music, etc.
« Last Edit: 8 Dec 2023, 01:57 pm by CDinsmore »

CDinsmore

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2022, 01:20 am »
The issue with the front panel is now also resolved. After removing the top panel I found that the grey ribbon cable that attaches to the front panel had become completely disconnected. Once connected, the front panel worked as expected. Chris Rice posted pictures of this cable in a previous post on this circle if you want more details.