Joe Morello Tribute Kit

TubesGlo

Joe Morello Tribute Kit
« on: 9 Feb 2022, 11:19 pm »
I built this kit with Keller Vintage Mahogany shells. Original Ludwig hardware. Smaller space meant downsizing so I stripped the hardware and stored the shells away. This kit was fun to play.

Chazz5

Re: Joe Morello Tribute Kit
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2022, 03:38 am »
The more I listen, the more Joe Morello's work is a delight. "Calcutta Blues" is plagued with background noise in the opening, and Brubeck plays too long, but Morello's work is classic.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2022, 04:04 am »
I have read that Morello and Buddy Rich engaged in a long 'shootout' once. That would have been entertaining.

A classic, and I think, underrated player.

TubesGlo

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2022, 12:39 pm »
The more I listen, the more Joe Morello's work is a delight. "Calcutta Blues" is plagued with background noise in the opening, and Brubeck plays too long, but Morello's work is classic.

If you haven't already, check out Live at Carnegie Hall it is an excellent recording both musically and sound quality. It was 1963 and Morello was working that kit like an animal. With the likes of him and several other jazz drummers, the rock drummers soon to follow had great role models. No wonder some of the best started out in jazz. Morello's melodic playing style complimented Brubeck well, his stick control was unbelievable and his left hand was like a machine gun on the snare.

TubesGlo

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2022, 12:41 pm »
I have read that Morello and Buddy Rich engaged in a long 'shootout' once. That would have been entertaining.

A classic, and I think, underrated player.

Underrated for sure. My personal favorite.

tonionc50

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2022, 03:00 am »
Hello

Excellent job on this kit. It looks amazing! Are you still playing? I had a friend in Raleigh make me a kit with Keller maple shells as well. They sound wonderful.

rockadanny

« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2022, 07:04 pm »
Very cool! Good on you. Bet it sounds terrific!   :drums:

TubesGlo

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2022, 11:28 pm »
Hello

Excellent job on this kit. It looks amazing! Are you still playing? I had a friend in Raleigh make me a kit with Keller maple shells as well. They sound wonderful.
I put together a downbeat kit in sky blue pearl and that's my main kit now. Original 65 shells except the floor tom that I built with Keller vintage mahogany and added solid maple rerings.

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2022, 06:14 am »

If you like just short songs with Morello on drums, I'd recommend Brubeck's album, Gone with the Wind.

TubesGlo

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2022, 09:40 am »

If you like just short songs with Morello on drums, I'd recommend Brubeck's album, Gone with the Wind.

I've been listening to Live at Carnegie Hall quite a bit lately. I'll have to check that one out, Thanks!