The basic toolkit for the serious audiophool includes:

Rusty Jefferson

Re: The basic toolkit for the serious audiophool includes:
« Reply #80 on: 5 Dec 2023, 01:55 pm »
1- A Stereophile test disc with left/right, phase inversion, and 1khz test tone for level matching. I can't remember how many times I've arrived at someone's house to listen and there has been a left/right reversal, or actually speakers out of phase and nobody noticed. And then wanting to compare equipment and trying to level match with an SPL meter. You must match voltage which means....

2- A multimeter to match voltage. Doesn't need to be expensive.

3- Headlamp like for camping.

4- 2.0+ reading glasses even if you don't need them because it makes it easier to see things up close.

Early B.

« Reply #81 on: 5 Dec 2023, 03:03 pm »
The most basic thing you need before building almost anything is a plan. Build your audio system around one or two things you like most in music (regardless of the type of music you listen to!). For instance, if you love bass, then build a system around getting the best subwoofers, researching bass traps, eliminating the 50Hz bass bump in your room, etc. You'll take on a different approach if you're a treble guy or a silky midrange guy or the tube guy, or the heavy metal & hard rock guy. 

Example -- I wanted a big, dynamic sound, so I have 3 subs and high-efficiency speakers with 12" midrange drivers. I wasn't gonna get a big sound with 6" drivers, regardless of the brand or style, so I stopped wasting time and money on "small" speakers.   

IMPORTANT -- do not include a budget in your plan. Most audiophiles spend more money than they want to, so don't impose a money barrier. Hobbies aren't meant to be rational.

Bhu108

« Reply #82 on: 6 Dec 2023, 05:32 pm »
Green pen (like a sharpie) for the edges of CD's
quality masking tape to mark speaker placement
Blue Tack, earthquake putty, or similar for vibration damping etc
screw drivers
microfiber cleaning cloth