jandrews

Re: iFi Zenn Stream - User Feedback?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Apr 2022, 04:49 am »
Hmm.  I’d your Ifi app up to date ?
Are you using apple or android ?

jjss49

« Reply #21 on: 25 Apr 2022, 04:50 am »
Thank you! Just updated iFi firmware by going to the Roon core. Currently, I’m using the #1 All In One setting on the back. Have yet to try the dedicated #2 setting for Roon only. Do you have knowledge of or experience with the Roon setting?

i use my zs on 'roon only', as it is supposed to be quieter in operation not having other processes running to cover other sources... to me this makes imminent sense as i use roon as the gateway app for qbz, tidal, and stored files ...

Nick B

« Reply #22 on: 25 Apr 2022, 05:04 am »
i use my zs on 'roon only', as it is supposed to be quieter in operation not having other processes running to cover other sources... to me this makes imminent sense as i use roon as the gateway app for qbz, tidal, and stored files ...

Does the zs need to be off to change it or can it be done “on the fly”… with the amp and pre on?

Nick B

« Reply #23 on: 25 Apr 2022, 05:11 am »
Hmm.  I’d your Ifi app up to date ?
Are you using apple or android ?

Am using Apple iOS… my iPad. A couple of things I should note. I believe the app previously showed what music I was playing on Roon. It doesn’t now. It also used to list iFi on the app network settings page with all the other detected wireless networks, but it is no longer shown.
Your thoughts, pls

iFi David

• iFi audio NEO Stream is here!
    • iFi audio
« Reply #24 on: 25 Apr 2022, 09:18 pm »
Does the zs need to be off to change it or can it be done “on the fly”… with the amp and pre on?

You can safely do this on the fly!

Nick B

« Reply #25 on: 25 Apr 2022, 09:33 pm »
You can safely do this on the fly!

Thanks, David  :thumb:

iFi David

• iFi audio
« Reply #26 on: 5 May 2022, 11:59 am »

jandrews

« Reply #27 on: 14 Jun 2022, 03:30 am »
Still loving this little unit which seems to keep getting better as ifi improves it.
Looking forward to getting accustomed to Roon in the coming weeks with the Zen Stream.
I’m wanting to ensure I’m squeezing the most out if this device before sending to my Dac.
Is anyone using an external LPS with it and have you had good results?
My zen stream came with the basic power supply .  I could buy the ipower x supply but am leaning towards a 12 or 15 v lps.  Any reason not to do that? 
Also….
Assuming one has an adequate Wi-Fi network … would that be preferable to physically connecting it to my router and all its associated noises?
Thank you
JS

jjss49

« Reply #28 on: 14 Jun 2022, 03:38 am »
Still loving this little unit which seems to keep getting better as ifi improves it.
Looking forward to getting accustomed to Roon in the coming weeks with the Zen Stream.
I’m wanting to ensure I’m squeezing the most out if this device before sending to my Dac.
Is anyone using an external LPS with it and have you had good results?
My zen stream came with the basic power supply .  I could buy the ipower x supply but am leaning towards a 12 or 15 v lps.  Any reason not to do that? 
Also….
Assuming one has an adequate Wi-Fi network … would that be preferable to physically connecting it to my router and all its associated noises?
Thank you
JS

a good lps definitely improves the sound - i use a 12v keces lps but any good quality true lps in the 9-12v dc output range will work - evidently ifi used to package the zs with their own filtered power supply but they stopped doing that some time ago - a real lps, as opposed to a filtered switched mode unit, is better still

also, there have been reports of instability with wifi feed with the unit but maybe new firmware has sorted that out...  i run it as a roon endpoint with well filtered ethernet in (via uptone ether regen), and its usb or rca spdif out is excellent

jandrews

« Reply #29 on: 14 Jun 2022, 03:48 am »
Thank you
I’ve been using it on wifi with great results but have been fully intending to hard wire it to the network ..
It’s just a bit of a chore given where the router is.
But Ive recently been reading about some high end streamers that encourage wifi connection for just that reason… to skip over some of the network equipment noise.
Maybe it’s a different implementation of wifi in those expensive units.
I’ll likely get into some network filtering if I do tie it in to my router ,  but given that uptone is out of stock for awhile , I’m not sure where to look for a filter setup without spending more than my budget .
I intend to go out of the Zen Stream spdif into a border patrol dac which feeds an Van Alstine tube pre / power amp combo.

Nick B

« Reply #30 on: 14 Jun 2022, 04:14 am »
I’ve had the Zen streamer for a few months now and continue to be very happy with it. I am running a dedicated lps and in wireless mode using the #2 Roon only setting. There are a few blips occasionally, but this is much more convenient than trying to have access to a wired connection. The Zen feeds the Border Patrol SEi dac to a Supratek Chardonnay pre to the AVA SET 120 amp.

JackD

« Reply #31 on: 14 Jun 2022, 04:18 am »
An LPS will definitely make an improvement and I'm just using the Terradak LPS I bought for the Aries Mini off Ebay six years ago. Jays Audio also makes and sells three different LPS units in addition to his CD transports.  The smallest one at $168 should easily do the trick.  If your Zen Stream is working without dropouts on WiFi like mine is just leave it alone.  Then you don't have to worry about "filtering" units and an LPS for a noisy router.

https://www.beatechnik.com/product-page/lps25va

jandrews

« Reply #32 on: 14 Jun 2022, 08:40 pm »
JackD, thanks for this recommendation

Any thoughts on which voltage to get?  the Z.S. accepts 9v to 15v. I believe 1.8 amps to .8 amps in that range
The current rating on the Beatechnik power supplies are higher, could that be in issue?

Nick B, I'll similarly be feeding into an Se-i BP dac and an RB10 tube pre from AVA followed by their SET 120

Also, any suggestions re: network filtering beyond the uptone regen
I've read a bit about the ENO from network acoustics...seems to be a very different device from the uptone.  Any other options?

Lastly , I'm keeping my Stream on the AIO setting since I like to airplay from my laptop sometimes.  I normally listen to Tidal connect when actually listening to music.
I will be trying Roon out soon with a free trial but I don't have a core yet. Working on that.  Are you noticing differencing when switching the dial in the back to Tidal only or Roon only?

JackD

« Reply #33 on: 14 Jun 2022, 11:47 pm »
I'm using an LPS for an Auralic Aries which is 16 volts 1 amp that David from iFi told Nick was o.k. so I don't think you would have any problem with the smallest one.  But if you have concerns reach out to Victor at Beatecknik the distributor and see what he thinks.

Nick B

« Reply #34 on: 14 Jun 2022, 11:49 pm »
JackD, thanks for this recommendation

Any thoughts on which voltage to get?  the Z.S. accepts 9v to 15v. I believe 1.8 amps to .8 amps in that range
The current rating on the Beatechnik power supplies are higher, could that be in issue?

Nick B, I'll similarly be feeding into an Se-i BP dac and an RB10 tube pre from AVA followed by their SET 120

Also, any suggestions re: network filtering beyond the uptone regen
I've read a bit about the ENO from network acoustics...seems to be a very different device from the uptone.  Any other options? :thumb:

Lastly , I'm keeping my Stream on the AIO setting since I like to airplay from my laptop sometimes.  I normally listen to Tidal connect when actually listening to music.
I will be trying Roon out soon with a free trial but I don't have a core yet. Working on that.  Are you noticing differencing when switching the dial in the back to Tidal only or Roon only?

I’ve only used the number one and number two settings in the back. I guess I could try both and then monitor for dropouts which I do get on occasion. I don’t know what I would do without Roon. I run the core on my Mac desktop and it functions very well. You must be getting great sound just as I am using the border patrol dac and AVA gear   :thumb:

mr_bill

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jun 2022, 02:51 am »
I’ve got one of the nice Auralic mini linear power supplies that I’m going to try with my ZS.

jandrews

« Reply #36 on: 22 Jun 2022, 09:12 pm »
Has anyone here used the Topping p50 lps with their Zen Stream?
It has a 15V tap as welll as a 5V, and I believe they can both be used simultaneously albeit with lower current.
Price is right at 120.
 Not the most powerful unit but for the ZS, seems like it would be just fine
https://amp.apos.audio/products/topping-p50-linear-power-supply

iFi David

• iFi audio
« Reply #37 on: 14 Sep 2022, 11:39 am »
Has anyone here used the Topping p50 lps with their Zen Stream?
It has a 15V tap as welll as a 5V, and I believe they can both be used simultaneously albeit with lower current.
Price is right at 120.
 Not the most powerful unit but for the ZS, seems like it would be just fine
https://amp.apos.audio/products/topping-p50-linear-power-supply

Wow, it's been a while since the last time I was here! As for PSUs for ZEN Stream, it operates within the 9-15V DC range, but some folks say that it sounds better if powered by 15V chargers/LPSUs than their lower voltage versions. Hope this helps, thanks!

Nick B

« Reply #38 on: 16 Sep 2022, 06:23 am »
Wow, it's been a while since the last time I was here! As for PSUs for ZEN Stream, it operates within the 9-15V DC range, but some folks say that it sounds better if powered by 15V chargers/LPSUs than their lower voltage versions. Hope this helps, thanks!

Yes, it’s been a while. Would be good to make guest appearances a bit more frequently! My Zen Stream operates just fine with the 15v lps I used to use for the Auralic Mini.

iFi David

• iFi audio
« Reply #39 on: 23 Sep 2022, 10:32 am »
I'll do my best!