Demonstration Worthy Classical Recordings

dB Cooper

Re: Demonstration Worthy Classical Recordings
« Reply #120 on: 15 Feb 2022, 05:31 pm »
The son of lutist Rolf Lislevand (see reply #105 above) and a force in his own right on viola da gamba.
My highest recommendation for both sonics and content.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #121 on: 3 May 2022, 04:16 pm »
The Boulanger Legacy

Lili Boulanger: Nocturne, Cortège, D'un matin de printemps
Nadia Boulanger: Modéré (from 3 Pièces)
Bacewicz: Violin Sonata No. 3
Bernstein: Violin Sonata
Piazzolla: Le grand tango

Marcus' Thoughts:  "Ordinarily, I am not a fan of violin and piano music. In the case of this album, especially because I have become very enamored with Lili Boulanger's works, I listened to the previews and downloaded the album in DXD (24/352.8 ) surround. No regrets. I've listened to it a few times now and can attest to the superb playing of each selection. TRPTK again works its magic producing a wonderful sound that puts the performers in my Livingroom.

Dina Ivanova, piano and Merel Vercammen, violin, talk about "crowdfunding" this album and their musical selection in this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3q8RCGzuiM

You'll immediately recognize the style of Grażyna Bacewicz's "Sonata No. 3 for violin and piano", and Astor Piazzolla's "Le Grand Tango". I was not familiar with Leonard Bernstein's "Sonata for Violin and Piano" with several variations. All of these pieces were very enjoyable. But, the star for me was the three Lili Boulanger tracks, "Nocturne", "Cortege" and especially "D'un matin de printemps". If you know her life story you will understand why there are "dark" moments in each piece. It's a sudden mood switch. I found it intriguing and quite interesting. Ending the album is a piece, "Trois pieces" by Lili's older sister, Nadia Boulanger, very famous in her own right.

Sonically, Chief Engineer Brendon Heinst gets better and better. The sound is full and rich, as if there are more instruments than just the violin and piano. All in all, I was very impressed with the album. The high rez version sounds much better than when I sampled the tracks."

Additionally, It is helpful to know about Lili Boulanger with this brief bio:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrFIohURbi4 

I also want to highlight her composition that won the "Prix De Rome" at age 19. Boulanger: Faust et Hélène, available from Chandos (9745). Unfortunately, it is only available on RBCD. The included booklet is an in depth look at her compositions on the album and includes the lyrics. I found the music engaging, the singing is superb. There is a YouTube video of the music by the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra, posted 1/21/20. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APNixVdQycI

Maarten-Jan Dongelmans, De Gelderlander, "In this pair, chamber music becomes a medium without fussy or false vanity. Vercammen and Ivanova make music with their hearts on their sleeve and then you, as a listener, are glued to listen to the temperamental sounds of Gracina Bacewicz."

Gerard Scheltens, Opus Klassiek  "Vercammen and her Russian piano partner Dina Ivanova (third prize Liszt Competition 2017) are striking talents with a creative and original angle and the recording by Brendon Heinst leaves nothing to be desired."

Tech Specs:
Catalog TTK0064 (TRPTK)
Available as SACD, CD or download (preference is Native DSD website, booklet and samples are available)
Mastering Engineer: Brendon Heinst, Antal van Nie (Assistant Engineer)
Original Recording Format: DXD (Stereo and Surround)
Venue:  Westvest90 church in Schiedam, The Netherlands
Date of recording: September 29th and October 1st 2020
Release Date:  April 30, 2021

Marcus

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #122 on: 4 May 2022, 01:33 am »
Good to see Nadia in a new release.
Thanks Marcus  :thumb:

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #123 on: 23 May 2022, 06:31 pm »
This post will review three separate piano albums featuring Hannes Minnaar.  He is an insanely gifted pianist.  I listen to these albums regularly.

NOX

Schumann: Nachtstücke
Zuidam: Nox
Ravel: Gaspard de la nuit
Janacek: Dobrou noc (from An overgrown path)

Hannes Minnaar, THE CHRIS MAENE STRAIGHT STRUNG GRAND PIANO https://www.chrismaene.be/nl/the-straight-strung-grand-piano/
Piano discussion (English Subtitles):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktL33ZsSjrA

Marcus' thoughts:  I am admitted Hannes Minnaar fan. I own most all of his album releases and I was most impressed with his "Fauré - Piano Music". I listen to it often. Of course, that led me to this release, "Nox". I've listened to the album several times and at the end, I am very pleased with my purchase. The music is challenging to me. One would think "night music" would be a lullaby of sorts, entrancing, along with a glass of wine, as you gently fall asleep. This is not the case. The music is a bit jarring, some of it as if in a nightmare. The track, "insomnia" conveys the desperation you might feel needing sleep. If you give it time, the music will begin to affect you. You will "feel" the darkness of night which many of us do not experience. I get it now. I am emotionally connected and I realize that some people are indeed "night people".

I love solo piano music. This one is gladly added to my collection. The sonics (in surround) are superb. I was unfamiliar with this music. It is so fresh and new to me that I am drawn to it. Hearing it is satisfying. I admit, it took some time to understand it. But, now, it gets a good amount of play time in my home.

Sample track, Gaspard de la Nuit - Trois poèmes pour piano d’après Aloysius Bertrand: I. Ondinehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYMMc94zUjs

Review by Adrian Quanjer HRAudio.net:    "...He is not just very good, he is more, he has that indefinable artistic feeling, going well beyond mere technical mastery...This recital is about an astonishing and colourful combination of ‘night music’, including a brand-new piece (2020) by the Dutch composer, Robert Zuidam, entitled Nox (night), which is also the title of this album, and - not mentioned on the cover - a ‘good night’ bonus track from Leoš Janáček. I must admit that I had never heard of Robert Zuidam (though regular Tanglewood visitors may). Thoroughly modern, without being eccentrically shocking, and thoroughly interesting. His ‘Nox’ is a discovery (and a clear invitation to visit Zuidam’s website to find out more). It is carefully placed in between Schumann’s ‘Nachtstücke’ and Ravel’s ‘Gaspard de la Nuit’."

Gabriel Fauré Piano Music:

Nocturne No. 1 in E-Flat Minor, Op. 33 No. 1, Barcarolle No. 3 in G-Flat Major, Op. 42, Thème et variations in C-Sharp Minor, Op. 73, Nocturne No. 7 in C-Sharp Minor, Op. 74, Impromptu No. 5 in F-Sharp Minor, Op. 102, Nine Preludes, Op. 103, Barcarolle No. 12 in E-Flat Major, Op. 106bis, Nocturne No. 13 in B Minor, Op. 119, Encore: from 3 Romances sans paroles, Op. 17 No. 3 in A-flat Major

Hannes Minnaar (piano)

Marcus' thoughts:  "WOW! Lovely piano music, well recorded and available in multichannel. I was not familiar with the composer. Minnar gives us a walk through time of Fauré's piano compositions from an early age through his passing. I've listened to all of it several times now and find the music enchanting and delightful."

Sample Track, Barcarolle No. 3 in G-Flat Major, Op. 42: Andante quasi allegrettohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvjtjT8s_Hs

Review by Adrian Quanjer, HR Audio.net:  "His Fauré is not Volondat’s, it is played with masterly authority. Where Volondat floats poetically Minnaar gives us a firm toucher and an undeniable presence. Thus lifting Fauré from salon to concert venue. This is not to say that he lacks poetry. On the contrary. But his poetry is without ‘softness’; it’s more convincingly encouraging in tone. Like a mother reassuring her child. And besides, Fauré is more than an extension of impressionist painting: 'These sets (nocturnes, barcarolles and impromptus) were composed across the decades of his career, and display the change in his style from uncomplicated youthful charm to a final enigmatic, but sometimes fiery introspection…'."

Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3, Op. 37

Hannes Minnaar (piano)
The Netherlands Symphony Orchestra
Jan Willem de Vriend (conductor)

Marcus' thoughts:  All five piano concertos can be purchased as a box set from Challenge Classics.  See the box set information here:  https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=12289.  I  play all the concertos often.  I love the dynamic interplay between pianist and orchestra..

Sample track, Beethoven "Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Minor, Op. 37: I. Allegro con brio",  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mTkhFFCuK0

Tech Specs for all albums:

Stereo or surround
CD, SACD and download.
Sound Engineer:  Bert van der Wolf

Marcus

sounddog

« Reply #124 on: 23 May 2022, 08:30 pm »
Marcus, neither I nor my pianist wife were familiar with Hannes Minnaar, but we’re listening to his Faure album. We are fans of Faure’s music and Minnaar’s performance is very, very good (as is the sound quality). We’ll try out his other albums too. Thanks for your recommendation!

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #125 on: 23 May 2022, 09:20 pm »
Marcus, neither I nor my pianist wife were familiar with Hannes Minnaar, but we’re listening to his Faure album. We are fans of Faure’s music and Minnaar’s performance is very, very good (as is the sound quality). We’ll try out his other albums too. Thanks for your recommendation!

You are most welcome.  Comments like yours keep me motivated to continue this thread.

WGH

« Reply #126 on: 23 May 2022, 09:42 pm »
A Gathering of Friends - John Williams, Yo-Yo Ma, Jessica Zhou, Pablo Sáinz Villegas, New York Philharmonic

Big and bold, a tour de force of tone and technique.

Cello Concerto (2021 Revision)
1              I. Theme & Cadenza
2              II. Blues
3              III. Scherzo
4              IV. Song

Three Pieces from Schindler's List
5              I. Theme
6              II. Kraków Ghetto - Winter '41
7              III. Remembrances
8              Highwood's Ghost
9              With Malice Toward None from Lincoln
10            A Prayer for Peace from Munich

HDtracks 96kHz · 24bit
https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/626fdd93962aaf2480692b49

You will need a bigger sub to play at a satisfying level :)

May 24th Update - "All Things Considered" has an interview with Yo-Yo Ma and John Williams, they talk about this album, their 40 year friendship and John's recent 90th birthday:

Composer John Williams and cellist Yo-Yo Ma bring together 'A Gathering of Friends'
https://www.npr.org/2022/05/24/1100996754/composer-john-williams-and-cellist-yo-yo-ma-bring-together-a-gathering-of-friend
« Last Edit: 25 May 2022, 12:16 am by WGH »

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #127 on: 28 May 2022, 12:48 pm »
A two volume set of symphonies composed by Camille Saint-Saëns.

Vol. 1
Saint-Saëns: Symphonies 1 & 2, Symphony in A major

Orchester Philharmonique Royal de Liege
Jean-Jacques Kantorow (conductor)

Vol. 2
Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3*, Symphony 'Urbs Roma'

Thierry Escaich* (organ)
Orchestre Philharmonique Royal de Liege
Jean-Jacques Kantorow (conductor)

Marcus' thoughts"I downloaded (eClassical for BIS albums) both albums in surround. Obviously, Symphony #3 is the more popular piece recorded on 28 SACDs. I thought both albums are excellent. Sonics are outstanding. Soundstage width and depth are superb. Instrument clarity is excellent. Reviews were generally very positive with a few quibbles over the robustness of the Organ. Apparently, conductor Charles Munch with the Boston Symphony Orchestra is the "gold" standard for the "Organ" Symphony. I do not own it but has been remastered twice into surround and released on SACD. David Hurwitz supports this view as well.  ... I am very pleased with the Kantorow discs. I am also very happy to discover Saint-Saëns music. Rich melodies and easy to become emotionally connected."

Vol.1 reviews:

David Phipps, Music-Web International:  "I have to say that, in the case of Jean-Jacque Kantorow and the Orchestre Philharmonique Royal de Liège, this music is most assuredly in the right hands. The orchestra’s skill and polish is exemplary, with the woodwinds especially acquitting themselves most impressively in the passages I previously mentioned as making good orchestra audition material.  ...As is always the case in my experience with BIS Records, the engineering and sound-quality are flawless, and give us the best seat in the house."

Adrian Quanjer, HRAudio.net"  "The long and the short of it is that we must be grateful to Robert von Bahr (Bissie) to offer Saint-Saëns, two lovely symphonies, in a glowing performance by one of the better Belgian symphony orchestras under the baton of a seasoned French conductor needing no further recommendation, to be discovered by the rest of the world. Why not succumb to its charm. It freshens the mind after a hefty Mahler."

Vol. 2 reviews:

Simon Thompson, Music-Web International:  "Their recording of the Organ Symphony can also hold its own in a much more crowded marketplace. In one sense the acoustic really helps: the organ is a part of the texture, sounding clean and clear throughout; but it doesn’t overly dominate, and the orchestral sound is every bit as important, particularly the strings who play with only a discrete amount of vibrato. The violins sound sensational at the start of the slow second movement (if we can call it that), and there is a smile in their sound throughout the serious business of the finale."

Gramophone:  "There are memorable moments in Kantorow’s first recording of Saint-Saëns’s Organ Symphony, too. In the transition from the first part’s Allegro moderato to the Adagio, for instance, one almost feels the change of atmosphere on one’s skin; it’s like walking from the heat of a sun-drenched street into the cool of a cathedral. I also like how stealthily organist Thierry Eschaich slips in, stepping out of the shadows, as it were."

Tech Specs:

Vol 1:
Catalog # BIS 2460
Release date: May 2021
Recording Date: April and December 2019; October 2020
Venue: Salle Philharmonique, Liège, Belgium
Sound engineer: Ingo Petry (Take5 Music Production)
Original Recording format: 24-bit / 96 kHz

Vol. 2:
Catalog # BIS-2470
Release Date: 1st Oct 2021
Recording Date: 9th—13th April (Organ Symphony); 26th—31st October 2020 (Urbs Roma)
Venue: Salle Philharmonique, Liège, Belgium
Sound engineer: Ingo Petry (Take5 Music Production)
Original Recording format: 24-bit / 96 kHz

Marcus

« Last Edit: 29 May 2022, 11:50 am by Desertpilot »

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #128 on: 3 Jul 2022, 11:56 am »
Schubert: Winterreise

Michael Wilmering (baritone)
Daan Boertien (piano)

From the liner notes:  "Of all the classical song cycles, Schubert’s ‘Winterreise’ is perhaps the most beloved. The adventurous TRPTK label steps into the deep end with a new take on this masterpiece. Baritone Michael Wilmering and pianist Daan Boertien give a surprising charge to the familiar music, which, in these uncertain times, seems to be a compass for a future whose contours are not yet entirely clear.

Winterreise is about a man who has been rejected by his lover and has then decided to go on a journey. The songs describe his journey through a barren and desolate winter landscape, which reflects the loneliness of the traveller. The song cycle actually consists of two halves. In the first song, ‘Gute Nacht’, the main character says goodbye to his beloved and decides to leave. The rest of the cycle shows that no return is possible."

Marcus' Thoughts:  "My comment is intended to draw fellow members to this superb recording. It takes time to listen and digest all of it. I've approached it several times now and each listening draws me more into the drama and anguish of the piece.  I have the piece in DXD, 24/352.8, surround. TRPTK captures the piano and baritone perfectly. The piano presents a broad soundstage and reproduces wonderfully on my system. The baritone, Wilmering, does not hold back the emotion he feels and conveys to the listener. There are several cuts available on YouTube. You will see him display his emotions as he sings."

YouTube:  Schubert - Winterreise: Die Krähe, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoMbHANXJ6A  The audio just gives you a taste of the power and emotion of the album.  On my system, both the piano and vocals are superbly reproduced.

David McDade, Music Web International:  "...The drama here is in the music not in some kind representation of events. ...Boertien (the pianist) is a similarly endless source of delight. Even the seemingly plain spun figurations of Die Post are coloured with consummate care under his fingers. Listen to the ache he finds in the arching melody of Täuschung – not too much but just enough. ...It is all the more terrifying for being so understated. Singer and pianist are in absolute communion here. Characteristically, the climax isn’t overdone but all the more devastating for their restraint."

Rushton Paul, Positive Feedback: "Wilmering’s very clear, transparent and highly flexible baritone voice is a delight to hear. He can be delicate, yearning, quietly pleading, then transition to huge power and impact."

Erik Voermans, Het Parool:  "Thanks to the involuntary concert break that had caused the pandemic, baritone Michael Wilmering and his pianist Daan Boertien had a lot of time to study Winterreise in depth. During that period, Boertien even attended a master class with Alfred Brendel.

The result is impressive, not least because TRPTK has managed to capture the piano and the voice beautifully."

Tech Specs:
Catalog #TTK0078
Original Recording Format: DSD 256
Mastering Engineers: Brendon Heinst & Antal van Nie (Assistant Mastering Engineer)
Recording Engineers: Brendon Heinst & Bart Koop (Assistant Recording Engineer)
Recording Location: Westvest Church in Schiedam, Netherlands
Recording Date: September 13-18, 2021
Release Date: January 28, 2022

OCityruxer

• Nx Studio w/upgrades
« Reply #129 on: 4 Jul 2022, 07:15 pm »
I too have a wife musician , not professional and am looking for ways to get homer buy-in from her with the system I am assembling. This should help. Thanks

OCityruxer

• Nx Studio w/upgrades
« Reply #130 on: 4 Jul 2022, 07:16 pm »
More buy-in.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #131 on: 9 Jul 2022, 11:44 pm »
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 13, Op. 113 ‘Babi Yar’

Oleg Tsibulko, bass
Popov Academy of Choral Arts Choir
Kozhevnikov Choir
Russian National Orchestra
Kirill Karabits, conductor

Liner notes:  "Inspired by Yevgeny Yevtushenko’s poem “Babi Yar” about a Nazi massacre of Jews just outside Kiev in 1941, Shostakovich based the Symphony on five of the author’s poems. The texts reflect on the peculiarities of daily existence in Stalinist Russia, providing a deep insight into life under Soviet reign. After the sombre, impressive opening movement, Shostakovich alternates between a satirical stance, humour, and portraying the hardships of the Stalinist reality, leading up to the innocent beauty of the symphony’s finale."

Marcus Thoughts:  "I just discovered this piece of music. David Hurwitz released a YouTube video discussing choral music, including the Shostakovich Symphony. "Repertoire: 16 Amazing Vocal Symphonies", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86ecd3bFkd4. This album, recorded in DXD in November, 2017 and released in 2020, is as Russian as you can get. Reviews are excellent. I can attest to the great sonics (in surround). Deep bass vocals and many bass instruments. I downloaded it in DXD from Native DSD.  Finally, a male chorus and bass soloist. What a great find for me!

Fanfare Magazine writes: "Karabits conducts incisively, with the accent on drama...Tsibulko’s singing is first-rate, as is the orchestra’s playing, especially from the brass, who are encouraged to snarl. The powerful male choruses of native Russian speakers surpass any Western chorus for clarity and diction, not to mention authenticity. Pentatone’s recorded sound is beautifully transparent and lifelike."

BBC Music Magazine:  "This beautifully engineered studio recording under Kirill Karabits has all the necessary adrenaline to keep the listener fully engaged. Karabits is particularly effective in negotiating the tricky changes of tempo in the opening ‘Babi Ya’ movement and ensures that the tension is sustained right to the very end."

Music Web International:  "The orchestral playing astounds at every turn, the choral singing beyond reproach. Even more important, the narrative thread, apt to stretch and sometimes break, is preserved, Karabits in full control to the very end."

Tech Specs:
Available in CD, SACD and download from Native DSD https://www.nativedsd.com/product/ptc5186618-shostakovich-symphony-no-13-in-b-minor-op-113-babi-yar/.  Samples and the booklet are available.
Catalog #PTC5186618
Original Recording Format: DXD
Recording Engineer: Nadia Nikolayeva and Erdo Groot (Polyhymnia International B.V.)
Venue:  DZZ Studio 5 in Moscow, Russia
Recording Date: November 2017
Release Date: 8/4/2020

Thanks
Marcus

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #132 on: 10 Jul 2022, 12:34 am »
Great Symphony, the Russian orchestras are always stunning, I have some place a Chandos version with the amazing baritone Nikita Storoyev, good digital recording from Chandos for the time. Definitely worth listening the 13th, but I dont know why I had bought the 15th.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #133 on: 22 Jul 2022, 04:32 pm »
Joachim Eijlander - Dark Fire

Saygun: Partita for solo cello, Op. 31
Cassadó: Suite for solo cello, Lamento de Boabdil, Requiebros
Tsintsadze: Toccata, 5 Pieces on Folk Themes
Trad.: Sari Gelin, Hicherier Jorgelook

Joachim Eijlander – Cello
Kadir Sonuk – Duduk (an Armenian reed instrument)
Izhar Elias – Guitar
Helena Basilova – Piano
Vincent van Amsterdam – Accordion

From the liner notes:  "Philosopher Martin Heidegger (1889–1976) described the encounter between the organized philosophical world of the ancient Greek and the mystical, abstruse world of the East as a dark fire.  ...I (Eijlander) found the mental image of a dark fire lit by this chance meeting beautiful and highly inspiring."

Marcus Thoughts:  "The album is labeled 'classical - modern'.  I think of it as 'East meets West fusion'.  I've listened to it several times now and the sonic clarity is so great, the Cello was right in my listening space.  Well done, TRPTK.  Tracks 6 and 7 include the Duduk (Armenian double reed) creating a strong Middle Eastern flavor.  Exceptional in my mind.  The sonics of all the tracks (I have the DXD surround 24/352.8 ) are superbly recorded."

Here is a teaser trailer on You Tube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlUyvfp24H4.  It does not do full justice to the eloquent duo tracks but gives you an idea of the album's direction.

Andrew Everard, Hi-Fi News & Review:  "It’s one of those ‘musical cultures meet‘ projects, the cello being joined by guitar, piano, accordion, and duduk. Yes, I had to look it up too: it’s an Armenian double-reed woodwind instrument made from apricot wood.  ...the performances and the recorded sound, placing the instruments in an atmospheric church acoustic, are excellent..."

Mark Werlin, HR Audio and Native DSD Blog:   "Dark Fire, TRPTK’s new DSD album of solo and duo works for cello, brings the immediacy and excitement of a house concert into your listening room.  Two short duets for cello and duduk, played by Eijlander and Kadir Sonuk...The duduk’s voice-like tone resonates with the antiquity of its 5th-century origins."

Joep Stapel, NRC: "He accompanies duduk player Kadir Sonuk in traditionals, such as the enchanting Hiçliğe yolculuk (‘Journey to nothing’). With master guitarist Izhar Elias, Eijlander plays a wonderful lament by Gaspar Cassadó, whose dance Cello Suite is the best-known work on the album. Pianist Helena Basilova and accordionist Vincent van Amsterdam participate in compositions by Sulkhan Tsintsadze – melancholic, rattling, uplifting, folk-like and of course dark and firey."

Peter van der Lint, Trouw:  "Rich and varied repertoire beautifully brought together and beautifully performed."

Tech Specs:

Catalog #TTK0056
Available as CD, SACD and download.  https://www.nativedsd.com/product/ttk0056-dark-fire/
-- Check the download for sample tracks and download the liner notes pdf.
Mastering Engineer:  Brendon Heinst and Gilles Stoop
Venue:Westvest90 Church Schiedam, The Netherlands
Recording Date:  July – August, 2020
Release Date: December 11, 2020

Thanks
Marcus

« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2022, 07:18 pm by Desertpilot »

mobile

« Reply #134 on: 27 Jul 2022, 04:45 am »
Swiss pianist Beatrice Berrut, playing her own transcriptions of music by Mahler and Schoenberg. The performances are excellent, and something that immediately caught my attention was the clarity of the recorded piano sound. Available on the major streaming platforms.

Jugendstil
Beatrice Berrut, piano
La Dolce Volta LDV100
Program notes: https://www.ladolcevolta.com/flipbook/LDV100/

Gustav Mahler
Transcriptions for piano (Beatrice Berrut)
Symphony no.5 in C sharp minor: Adagietto
Symphony no.3 in D minor: Tempo di Menuetto
Symphony no.6 in A minor: Andante moderato
Arnold Schoenberg
Verklärte Nacht – Paraphrase (Beatrice Berrut)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #135 on: 27 Jul 2022, 11:01 pm »
Very interesting repertoire, these transcriptions are unique.
Thanks for posting.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #136 on: 16 Aug 2022, 08:13 pm »
Jean Sibelius:
Symphony No. 1 in E minor, Op. 39 (1898–99, rev. 1900)
Symphony No. 2 in D major, Op. 43 (1901–02)
Symphony No. 3 in C major, Op. 52 (1904–07)
Symphony No. 4 in A minor, Op. 63 (1909–11)
Symphony No. 5 in E flat major, Op. 82 (1914–15, rev. 1916 & 1919)
Symphony No. 6 (in D minor), Op. 104 (1922–23)
Symphony No. 7 in C major, Op. 105 (1923–24)

Lahti Symphony Orchestra
Okko Kamu (conductor)

Marcus' Thoughts:  "There are three complete noteworthy sets of Sibelius' Symphonies, Osmo Vänskä, (conductor), with the Minnesota Orchestra, Sir Simon Rattle (conductor), with the Berliner Philharmoniker and the set I will discuss, Okko Kamu (conductor), with the Lahti Symphony Orchestra.  Preferences by reviewers and consumers are strong.  I happen to like the Kamu set the best."

If you are not familiar with Sibelius, here is his bio:  Great Composers: Jean Sibelius, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfhbnwxQcXU.

A 5 minute look at conductor Kamu and the Lahti Symphony Orchestra:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S4YUwkPKss

Review by Mark Novak for HR Audio:  "This set is a truly fine legacy for Finland’s greatest composer and a proud achievement for Maestro Kamu, the Lahti players and BIS.  Despite the old canard about avoiding complete sets because “no single conductor gets all the symphonies right”, one can safely dismiss that adage and revel in this set from Okko Kamu. It is now my “go to” set for these symphonies where each and every performance is of the highest musical order. Strongly recommended!"

Review by John Broggio for HR Audio:  "...this is by some distance the most consistent and best recorded cycle of Sibelius to have been issued on hi-res media. Very strongly recommended, enormously thought provoking and tremendously enjoyable music making."

BBC Music Magazine:  "Kamu offers an [easy] sense of movement… intense quiet dynamics and clarity in perfect equilibrium with atmosphere. There's plenty of excitement too: the scherzo of the Second is truly vivacissimo…Three, Seven and above all Six are just perfect, with all the naturalness I want in these elusive masterpieces."

Dan Morgan, Music Webb International:  "Production values in both boxes are high, prices are competitive and the liner-notes are excellent. That's why I won't recommend one cycle over the other; you simply must have both.  ...Kamu’s distinguished Sibelius joins Vänskä’s at the top of the tree; formidable engineering, too."

Tech Specs:
Available as CD, SACD and download (stereo or surround):  BIS is available at eClassical:  https://www.eclassical.com/labels/bis/sibelius-the-seven-symphonies.html
Catalog #    BIS-2076 SACD
Original Recording Format 24/96
Release Date:  2015-09-10
Sound engineers: Fabian Frank (Symphonies Nos 1, 3–7); Andreas Ruge (Symphony No. 2)
Venue:  Sibelius Hall, Lahti, Finland

« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2022, 07:33 pm by Desertpilot »

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #137 on: 27 Aug 2022, 05:52 pm »
Shostakovich: Violin Concerto No. 1
Gubaidulina: In tempus praesens*

Simone Lamsma (violin)
Netherlands Radio Philharmonic Orchestra
James Gaffigan & Reinbert de Leeuw* (conductors)

An interview with Lamsma and Gaffigan on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhiWpowQikE

Marcus' Thoughts:  "There are 10 Super Audio CD albums featuring this Shostakovich concerto.  However, this studio recorded performance and incredible sonics are superb.  I purchased the album in multichannel DXD (24/352.8 ) from "SpiritoftheTurtle" website. Soundstage is wide and deep. Instrument clarity is remarkable. I felt that the violin was very well balanced with the orchestra. The violin in movement one leads the listener into the abyss. The orchestra covers with a shroud of darkness. Each succeeding movement deepens the darkness and ramps up the emotional intensity. I could write much more melodramatically but Dominy Clements' review (see below) did so much better than I. Suffice it to say I was completely drawn in and had to listen to it many times."

Dominy Clements, Musicweb International:  "This is a genuinely potent performance, the first movement filled with emotional depth, the contrasting Scherzo a sharp, almost panicky dance of death, the urgent rhythms of which propel us into a remarkable Passacaglia, “a masterpiece – mature, elegiac and highly lyrical.” Lyrical yes, but also full of dark drama that is fully exploited in this recording.  The final movement Burlesque has a demonic feel, Lamsma digging deep into the strings of her Stradivarius, pitting her single violin against the forces massed behind her and, as with the Scherzo, propelling us with high-tensile nervous angst into a world of smoky industry and a society stained by fear."

Adrian Quanjer, HR Audio:  "In her reading Ms Lamsma not only has the required skills & bravura, but is also able to understand and share the emotional aspects with Maestro James Gaffigan, a conductor I hold in high esteem.  ...This is a deeply moving account which has to be heard to be believed. And when I say 'heard', there are only two suitable ways: In the concert hall with the full dynamics, or else at home with the best possible sound reproduction in order to be completely engulfed and gripped by the cruel history it conveys."

Tech Specs:
Available as CD, SACD streaming and download.  Stereo or multichannel. 
DSD 64 download at Native DSDhttps://www.nativedsd.com/product/cc72681-violin-concerto-no-1-op-77-in-tempus-praesens/
Now available from Challenge Classics in DXD (24/352.8 ):  https://spiritofturtle.com/collections/dxd/products/kopie-van-simone-lamsma-violin-concerto-no-1-in-tempus-praesens-auro-3d-5-1-4-immersive?variant=42405734809770
Netherlands Radio Philharmonic Orchestra
Conductor for Shostakovich: James Gaffigan
Conductor for Gubaidulina:  Reinbert de Leeuw
Catalog # CC72681
Recording/Mastering Engineer:  Bert van der Wolf
Venue:  MCO Hilverusm, (Gubaidulina – Concertgebouw Amsterdam)
Release Date:  March 10, 2017

« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2022, 03:25 pm by Desertpilot »

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #138 on: 14 Oct 2022, 05:10 pm »
Shostakovich: 24 Preludes and Fugues

Bach: Goldberg Variations

Hannes Minnaar (piano)

I am offering to you two solo piano works by Hannes Minnaar.  I own both of them in multichannel surround DXD 24/352.8.  Both are also available on SACD or DSD download.

My newest purchase is Shostakovich: 24 Preludes and Fugues.  There are no reviews yet.  Minnaar is currently performing the work live at various concert venues.  The tracks are available on his YouTube channel.  Here is the last one, 8 minutes long, 24 Preludes and Fugues, Op. 87: Fugue No. 24 in D Minor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un-rx0IPdYI&list=OLAK5uy_kdcvZLxCP0lwgMt8mbmPvf4oIWphR8ynQ&index=48).

Marcus' Thoughts:  "Time now to dive into this recording and offer my thoughts. There's not many SACD recording but competition is fierce in RBCD. The most notable is Tatiana Nikolayeva's several recorded performances. The liner notes to her RBCD 1990 recording (Hyperion, DA66441/3), available free as a download in pdf format (https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA66441/3), describes her association with Shostakovich as he was writing the piece. Her recordings are considered the benchmark. A more recent, and highly acclaimed, RBCD recording is Igor Levit's performance recorded in May, 2020, (SONY 19439809212). This is a massive recording spanning three CDs for a full 232:41 minutes. Aside from the Preludes and Fugues, the CDs also include Ronald Stevenson's Passacaglia. Great praise is given to the Levit recording by David McDade, Music Web International (http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Oct/Shostakovich-preludes-19439809212.htm). He writes, "Nikolayeva gives us a much more familiar picture of Shostakovich where Levit finds greater light and shade; his Shostakovich even smiles and not just in a sarcastic grimace. Nikolayeva’s humour is flatter and more caustic. The two sets complement each beautifully, yet I imagine Levit’s will win over more listeners new to the music. Ideally, I would say any listener needs to hear both but if pushed to choose just one, it would be Levit." Levit's CDs are available at Presto as CD, LP and download (https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8920511--on-dsch#about).

What about the Minnaar recording? There are no reviews yet. I downloaded the multichannel DXD 24/352.8 version from Spirit of the Turtle website. Disc 1 is 73:01 minutes and disc 2 is 77:31 minutes. I've listened to both CDs a couple of times now (an advantage of retirement). The sonics, as usual from Bert van Der Wolf, are superb. I will note that Minnaar played on a Steinway Model D rather than his Chris Maene Straight Strung Concert Grand. I suspect logistics played a role here. The venue was Muziekcentrum van de Omroep, MCO-1, Hilversum. Recording dates were 22-24 December 2021 (Preludes and Fugues Nos. 1-12) & 1-3 May 2022 (Preludes and Fugues Nos. 13-24). Each piano note is clear and wholesome. Many times he will hold the final note for a long time allowing it to naturally fade. Soundstage was broad and deep presenting a concert grand into my listening room.

The liner notes include an interview style commentary.

-- What does the work mean to you? Why do you enjoy performing it?
"I first heard this music at the age of fifteen when I saw a TV documentary in which Vladimir Ashkenazy played one of the pieces. It really touched a chord with me. I had been obsessed with Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier for some time, and I was immediately fascinated by this twentieth-century variant. Over the years, I’ve frequently returned to this work, and each time, I’ve been struck by the madness and loneliness it contains."

-- A continuous series of preludes and fugues could become a bit monotonous for the listener. But when I heard you play these pieces, I noticed that with each new piece, a whole new world opened up.
"That’s exactly what Shostakovich was going for. When I started to perform the work in concert, I briefly wondered whether it might end up being too much of the same. But the movements are all so different. Plus there’s the alternation between major and minor."

I concur. I was not bored at all and enjoyed each piece. As you progress through the music there is great variety. Of course, you have to love solo piano works. I'll be very interested in professional reviews, especially comparing Minnaar's performance with the Levit recording. I've watched several of Minnaar's videos and I can see great emotion in his mannerisms and facial expressions as he plays. This emotion translates into his playing and impresses me greatly."

Tech Specs:

Available as CD, SACD and download.  The sound engineer, Bert van der Wolf is now offering Auro 3D and Binaural (for headphones) versions on his website, Spirit of the Turtle (https://spiritofturtle.com/.
Original Recording format: DXD
Catalog # CC72907
Venue:  Muziekcentrum van de Omroep, MCO-1, Hilversum
Recording Date:  22-24 December 2021 (Preludes and Fugues Nos. 1-12) & 1-3 May 2022
Sound Engineer:  Bert van der Wolf

Bach: Goldberg Variations

Marcus Thoughts:  I wasn't sure I would like two full discs of Bach music.  But, I was very surprised by both the sonics and engaging music.  Here he plays on his signature Chris Maene Straight Strung Concert Grand CM005.  The second disc, a Daan Manneke composition, was even more delightful.  Here is a track from his YouTube channel: Gedanken zu Bach Ach wie flüchtig, ach wie nichtig A.D. 2020: VI. Toccata secundo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B41Oxh9DWv0&list=OLAK5uy_l8rPofStP7HNgrZjAewisGAMuDTZVaxz4&index=38.  The entire concert from a live performance is also available on YouTube. 

Tal Agam, The Classic Review.  "Minnaar holds this masterpiece together as a complete whole that will reveal itself more with repeated listening."

Jed Distler, Classics Today.  "Hannes Minnaar brings many positive assets to Bach’s Goldberg Variations. His superb finger independence helps vivify and characterize the contrapuntal writing at any tempo, abetted by varied articulations and imaginative yet discreet use of the sustain pedal. The pianist clearly enjoys modifying voicings, amplifying textures, and shifting accents on the repeats (which he observes in full, including the Aria da capo), not to mention unfettered and creative ornamentation."

Tech Specs:
Available as a CD, SACD and download.
Catalog # CC72859
Sound Engineer Bert van der Wolf.
Venue:  De Waalse Kerk in Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Recording Date:  August 3-6, 2020

Marcus

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #139 on: 14 Dec 2022, 12:32 am »
There are two eminently audiophile solo piano works Goldberg Variations and Diabelli Variations op.120. in 2008 I was fortunate to found the best version of Beethoven work recorded in 24/192.
https://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/4532