Your Favorite Tube Pre-amp

ArmlessAudioMan

• You're valuable, even if you don't feel it
Your Favorite Tube Pre-amp
« on: 8 Jul 2021, 05:28 pm »
What's your favorite Phono Tube Pre Amp?

garyalex

Re: Your Favorite Tube Pre-amp
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2021, 09:46 pm »
Cary SLP-05

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2021, 09:49 pm »
Dodd, Jolida, Hagerman... all three excellent, each does something a little different from the others.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2021, 11:00 pm »
PS Audio BHK Signature. This is a hybrid design with a tube input stage and a class A MOSFET output stage

lazydays

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2021, 02:02 am »
I own four or five tube preamps, and there's something about each I like. All around sound is the Conrad Johnson, but then again the Quicksilver is right there as well. Plus it's a little bit more forgiving. Detail wise, I like the Odyssey, but it doesn't have a tape loop and just three inputs. I think the CJ is just slightly brighter than the Quicksilver, but neither has the detail that the Odyssey has. I also have an Adcom solid state, and it does make a good door stop. Then I have one of the better ASL preamps that has better caps in it. Funny thing about it is that it's very neutral. Been awhile since I've used it. My least favorite is one from one of the folks on this circle. Very clean, but always leaves me wanting more. To be honest; I need to give that one another chance with better cables. If I can buy what I want again; it'll have CJ written on the face plate!
gary

lazydays

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2021, 02:06 am »
disregard the above, as I was thinking regular preamps when I wrote the post. I still like the old George Wright as well as any I've heard (if not better than). Yet it's going to be replaced with a Darlington DP-7
gary

Chewbacca

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2021, 02:22 am »
I'm sure I have less experience than most, but I don't see a reason to ever get rid of my Dodd. I'd like to upgrade the caps and whatever else I can in it when I get the time. The Odyssey Candela was pretty close though. The Dodd is just overall quieter revealing more detail. Especially with a good 7308. May wait a while to find one though.

Would love to find a Dodd phono to use in line with an SUT.

Carl V

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2021, 03:06 am »
My old cj pv-5 was a simple tube pre with a great phono section. My first high end system. Many reviewers had this combination (( pv5 with mv50))a few years ago dick olsher  mentioned the quality of sound the  pv5 phono stage had/has.
Many others have come and gone. But nostalgia is golden

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2021, 11:43 am »
Sorry, are you asking about phono stages (preamp with tubes), or line stage preamps with a built in phono stage (and tubes)?

Chewbacca

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2021, 01:38 pm »
Sorry, are you asking about phono stages (preamp with tubes), or line stage preamps with a built in phono stage (and tubes)?

Oops. I must have just read the title and not the post asking about the phono part.

I have a Parks Audio Budgie phono pre, which for the price has proven pretty good... but I'm sure is the current weak link in my phono chain.

I've been keeping my eyes open for either an Eastern Electric phono (with built in SUT for MC), or a Dodd MM Phono to use in line with an SUT... Or possibly upgrading all the internals of the Budgie and running an SUT in line to use with future MC carts.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2021, 02:11 pm »
Audio Research Sp-15 has a three tube phono section and is a great preamp for listening to LPs.
I use it with my Kusma Stabi/Stogi TT

twitch54

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2021, 05:51 pm »
My current tube phono-pre (Fosgate Signature) is plenty satisfying to me ......

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2021, 09:27 pm »
Either way, both my preamps are from Kevin Carter at K&K. The K&K "Maxxed Out" phono pre is a jfet/triode tube hybrid employing amorphous core, LL1674 Lundahl transformers for MM duty. For MC step up, it employs another pair of amorphous core LL1931 Lundahl's for 64 db of gain.  :green:

Check it out... http://www.kandkaudio.com/

-Dieter

jjss49

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2021, 02:43 pm »
preamp vs linestage vs phono stage

details matter 

mav52

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2021, 02:54 pm »
Manley Chinook, 

Mike B.

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jul 2021, 03:22 pm »
I love my Wright Sound tube phono preamp. Mr. Wright was a small manufacture located in the Pacific NW. He passed on a number of years back.

sunnydaze

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jul 2021, 10:25 pm »
I like my JuicyMusic Tercel mk2 and Tavish Audio Vintage 6SL7.  Both are stand-alone tubed phono sections. 

First post wording lacks a bit of clarity, so I'm confused.  Perhaps he seeks full function tube preamp, including phono?
For this, I like my JuicyMusic Blueberry Xtreme mk2.

:thumb:

PierreB

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jul 2021, 01:12 am »
My ModWright PH 9.0
Great tube phono.  :thumb:

RonP

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jul 2021, 02:51 pm »
My ModWright PH 9.0
Great tube phono.  :thumb:

+1

mick wolfe

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jul 2021, 04:09 pm »
My old cj pv-5 was a simple tube pre with a great phono section. My first high end system. Many reviewers had this combination (( pv5 with mv50))a few years ago dick olsher  mentioned the quality of sound the  pv5 phono stage had/has.
Many others have come and gone. But nostalgia is golden

If I still had my CJ PV5/MV50 combination, I believe I'd be totally satisfied even today. Just match the MV50 with a fairly efficient speaker with a benign impedance curve that stays above 4 ohms. Musicality in spades.