Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136

groovybassist

Re: Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136
« Reply #240 on: 31 Aug 2021, 01:56 am »
So how exactly do you use this understanding to reduce the cost and complexity of your system?

Just to be clear, I’m not suggesting one can go from an expensive rig to a cheap and cheerful rig with amazing performance gains.  My system is listed below and while simple, isn’t cheap by any stretch of the imagination.  I’m simply suggesting there’s nothing wrong with gaining additional understanding of how your brain works and using that information in a productive manner - nothing more, nothing less.

Matrix Audio Element X
Neurochrome Modulus-286 (built by Tom Christiansen)
KEF LS50 Meta
Benchmark interconnects and speaker cable
TCA HPA-1 for headphone listening
Quad ERA-1 headphones

genjamon

« Reply #241 on: 31 Aug 2021, 01:57 am »
Can you elaborate on what amounts to a critical look in your book?

Early B.

« Reply #242 on: 31 Aug 2021, 02:05 am »
1) I took a very critical look at each thing in my system to determine if it really made a difference (cables, power conditioning, decoupling tweaks, etc).  In all cases bar none, my honest assessment was that I was biased by the feedback of others, they didn’t improve my system and in many cases detracted from it.

My question is similar to genjamon --

After your honest assessment, how did you determine you were being biased by the feedback of others? Could there have been another reason for removing or replacing a component or cable?? For instance, we don't talk enough about how our preferences and perceptions change daily, monthly, annually, etc. Today you like something, tomorrow you don't. Happens all of the time.   

groovybassist

« Reply #243 on: 31 Aug 2021, 02:13 am »
Can you elaborate on what amounts to a critical look in your book?

I considered the following:

1) What was my original motivation for a purchase?
2) Was there data that supported the purchase or was it based on what I had heard or read?
3) How did I feel about the purchase initially?
4) Was that response a result of priming or confirmation bias?
5) How did I feel about the purchase now?
6) Is there objective data available now for the item purchased?
7) Was I trying to offset a problem somewhere else in my system?
8) Was I successful?

I’m sure there’s more.  It’s hard to be honest with yourself and use this knowledge in a meaningful way.  No one wants to admit they spent a shit ton of money over the years and haven’t arrived at a satisfactory destination.  After thinking through this and all the stuff I’ve had over the years, I ended up where I am now, with a single regret - selling my Karan Acoustics KA-i180 Mk2 integrated amp; wish I still had it.

groovybassist

« Reply #244 on: 31 Aug 2021, 02:22 am »
My question is similar to genjamon --

After your honest assessment, how did you determine you were being biased by the feedback of others? Could there have been another reason for removing or replacing a component or cable?? For instance, we don't talk enough about how our preferences and perceptions change daily, monthly, annually, etc. Today you like something, tomorrow you don't. Happens all of the time.

Certainly there were some instances where a functionality change was needed or a different cable termination, which lead to a change.  In the vast majority of instances, my decisions were influenced by the world of subjective audio and the belief that a change based on a subjective opinion read or heard somewhere would address my need.

Geardaddy

« Reply #245 on: 2 Sep 2021, 11:11 am »
Has anyone tried the whole house solution?  https://equitech.com/productsold/wall-cabinet-systems/

I know many studios use this approach.  I have considered.  I have had conditioners that made little to no difference and one that made a profound difference (Dale Pitcher's Mosaic Audio) which is no longer made.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #246 on: 30 Jan 2022, 09:00 pm »
Any Puritan PSM136/156 owners have the ground master city in their setups? Wondering if it helps much.

https://www.audioarchon.com/product-page/puritan-audio-groundmaster-city

grodri02

« Reply #247 on: 15 Apr 2022, 02:08 pm »
You underestimate your subconscious mind and group think- google 'placebo effect' and also check out Blink by Malcom Gladwell.
I have seen very concerned people testifying that taking covid vaccine attracts metals to their bodies-they genuinely believe it. Mind works in crazy ways. :o

Coming back to PSM156- there have been many who tried it and loved it and many who did not find any major impact. Best is to try in your system and be honest about it.

Kishore, your PM is full. Dont know any other way to get in contact with you.

nearsighted

Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM-156
« Reply #248 on: 24 Apr 2022, 07:04 pm »
Greetings!

New owner of a Puritan PSM-156. Only been installed for a couple of days. I had a Powerware UPS doing power regeneration - isolation duties. On a recommendation - I was told to ditch it and get a true audio designed power block. His recommendation was ISOL-8 products. I looked at them, seemed very nice, British made like the Puritan products. However, when I contacted USA dealer I got no response. Not what I was looking for plus around 2x more in cost than the PSM-156.

After digging around I found the Puritan products - seemed like folks were pretty happy with them, looked well engineered so I pulled the trigger.

Stone cold out of the box the PSM-156 seemed to provide a more relaxed sound - maybe a more coherent sound field. It definitely changed the the sound quality (SQ) and for the better. And then curiously - intermittently over the next few hours as I spun vinyl the sound got constrained and smeared - like I had tube trouble. Enough so that I was very aware of a SQ change and not for the better. I recognize burn in when I hear it - a wacked broken smeared sound field that makes you wonder what is going on.

My system is fairly resolving so it was easy to hear. I've read through this whole thread - several comments on burn in. To install the PSM-156 I moved all my power cords and did some house cleaning - changes like that can also cause SQ changes - just need to let things settle in.

I've got the tuner playing today. Lets see what some time does - I read 2 weeks - not sure what that means in actual powered on system time. I suppose between 50-100 hours things should settle down.

nearsighted

Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 156
« Reply #249 on: 27 Apr 2022, 11:44 pm »
Getting close to 30 hours of system time. SQ has settled back into a more relaxed flow of music. Musicians seem to come out of a blacker background with space around them. Tone and tempo seem much more like you think they should. After some reading and consultation I'll probably upgrade the AC input power cord. Came with a Puritan Classic 2M PC. All in all - a nice upgrade along with a more organized place for power cables.

Emil

« Reply #250 on: 11 May 2022, 06:10 pm »

Late to the party..

Any dealers allowing home trials?
Like to compare it to a Shunyata Hydra Delta D6  I'm auditioning at the moment.

Thanks

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #251 on: 19 Jun 2022, 11:06 pm »
Hi guys, I have read nothing but the good things about PSM 136 and especially PSM156.But did anyone try Puritan power strips?Are they any good???I'm planning to purchase either; Puritan PS 106 for $1250, Puritan PSM 136 for $1850 or Puritan PSM 156 for $2650.On the top of it, I'm thinking to purchase power cord for my cd player, Cardas Parsec $360 or Cardas Clear Cygnes $525.All the prices are in canadian $ and tax included.I have 3 audio components; Bryston amp 4B³, preamp BP-17³ and cd player BCD-3.I want to buy good, but I don't want to buy overkill... (but on the other hand, does word "overkill" exist in audiophile's vocabulary???)Please, point me in the right direction.
Ps.There's Sony LCD, internet modem and small media player. behind audio rack.I guess, I'll connect them to the same outlet.

drummermitchell

« Reply #252 on: 20 Jun 2022, 12:56 am »
 Remember a thread years ago where Bryston did NOT believe in power conditioning.
Reason I believe was that power strips and some conditioners could not handle the power the amp needed for dynamic peaks ect.
I’m sure I’m a just a bit off on this.
I do know for sure that when I used some S products then went with the Torus(Bit) products,
Night and day difference.
I think power strips defiantly choke the dynamics of an amp(especially like a 4B,I use 28s and 7s.
And if you do a sneak peak into these strips or boxes,a total joke.
And even some companies say that when thier boxes where exposed from the inside out,that their prices were justified by the market,yet ripping of customers.
You can always Home Audition and decide for yourself.
I will admit I went crazy years ago with S products as I had 12 components and 5 amps with dual subs.
Read about the Torus and END of Story.
Have had the 20a and 60a in my system for years and I will not sell them.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #253 on: 21 Jun 2022, 06:40 pm »
Life's too short, so I just purchased Puritan PSM156.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2022, 08:55 pm by Mariusz Uszynski »

Early B.

« Reply #254 on: 21 Jun 2022, 09:56 pm »
Life's too short, so I just purchased Puritan PSM156.

Welcome to the club.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #255 on: 21 Jun 2022, 11:14 pm »
Welcome to the club.

Why, thank you Early B.Now, where's me jacket?!?!?!

mai-qi

• Because stereo loves music
« Reply #256 on: 3 Jul 2022, 10:11 am »
After reading the comments here, my Puritan PSM 156 will arrive tomorrow :thumb:

forky

« Reply #257 on: 31 Jul 2022, 03:24 pm »
How many of you plug in your amp/ int amp in to your 156? Or is it just for front end stuff? Thanks.

screener

« Reply #258 on: 31 Jul 2022, 03:35 pm »
How many of you plug in your amp/ int amp in to your 156? Or is it just for front end stuff? Thanks.

I've tried both ways and found that I preferred my SET amp plugged directly into the wall. Everything else goes through the 136.

morganc

« Reply #259 on: 31 Jul 2022, 08:35 pm »
Any of y’all compare the Puritans to the Buss series from PI Audio?  I’ve had a Buss now for a decade and a, curious about the Puritan.  Anyone done the comparison?  Or have a demo or loaner that I could compare and report back?