Bryston Current BIT range and pricing

Rod_S

Re: Bryston Current BIT range and pricing
« Reply #20 on: 6 Dec 2021, 07:01 pm »
One additional question :)

I just noticed the pricing of the AVR Elite series, yikes, it's a very large jump from the 20 amp BIT units, for example the BIT-20 to the BIT AVR-2 Elite 20. The AVR is over double the price of the standard BIT. Is voltage regulation that pricey to implement or is the large price jump more to due to the cost of those units basically having an onboard operating system with all of the network connectivity and monitoring those units can do? I can't imagine the small LED screen being to costly to implement. Other than those 2 features plus the screen aren't the rest of the features and capabilities the same between the 2 series, standard BIT vs AVR-2 Elite?

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 6 Dec 2021, 07:24 pm »
Yes strictly the added online features and cloud capability.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #22 on: 6 Dec 2021, 07:29 pm »
Thanks James

Too bad Torus wouldn't consider making an AVR series without all of that on-line capability. I can't imagine everyone who wants voltage regulation wants or needs those added monitoring capabilities. I think they would have a winner on their hands and then you guys as well being able to offer AVR units at only a small bump in price over the standard units. Perhaps that's a product opportunity for you at Bryton :)

Rod_S

« Reply #23 on: 11 Dec 2021, 05:59 pm »
It look a bit longer than I originally anticipated, life has a way of interrupting plans but I finally got the order in for the BIT-20. Looking forward to having my main gear once again connected to a unit with a massive toroidal transformer. Made the purchase with the dealer earlier today and the order will go in Monday morning to Bryston.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 11 Dec 2021, 11:00 pm »
 :thumb:

drummermitchell

« Reply #25 on: 12 Dec 2021, 02:19 am »
Have had my Torus 60a/20 for years and they do what they say they do
Back then I was using shunyata for everything.
Installed the Torusx2 end of story.
Huge audio upgrade,not saying any more.
Torus saved two of my four JL F 113s back then as two were plugged into the wall
The others into the Torus and a storm had hit ,well that’s it,even my Jvc projector ect ect all’s well.
I have sold components before but the Torus well they been in my system for what 14 yrs I believe and the are NOT Leaving.
Find it amusing Shunyata every frigging year something new pops up
Torus/Bit nothing except for the net control part haven’t really changed.
I will say comparing the SSSSnake to Torus/Bit as I had both at the same time-instant rag doll for the snake,remember Audio 10 and the review of the HYDRA 4———————————-Oye with Picts and the hydra 6
Let alone now they have these boxes with cylinders ...uh huh
I think I was a bit lucky to have both in house and compare,night and day,no contest.

GSDaudio

« Reply #26 on: 12 Dec 2021, 02:10 pm »

So they sell the "sizzle"?   

I prefer "steak" myself.  ie Bryston.   :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Rod_S

« Reply #27 on: 14 Dec 2021, 01:06 am »
Have had my Torus 60a/20 for years and they do what they say they do
Back then I was using shunyata for everything.
Installed the Torusx2 end of story.
Huge audio upgrade,not saying any more.
Torus saved two of my four JL F 113s back then as two were plugged into the wall
The others into the Torus and a storm had hit ,well that’s it,even my Jvc projector ect ect all’s well.
I have sold components before but the Torus well they been in my system for what 14 yrs I believe and the are NOT Leaving.
Torus/Bit nothing except for the net control part haven’t really changed.
I will say comparing the SSSSnake to Torus/Bit as I had both at the same time-instant rag doll for the snake,remember Audio 10 and the review of the HYDRA 4———————————-Oye with Picts and the hydra 6
Let alone now they have these boxes with cylinders ...uh huh
I think I was a bit lucky to have both in house and compare,night and day,no contest.

Question, I think you are the only person I've ever seen comment about having one of the large 45A+ products. How did you decide on the AV friendly 60a product vs going with the 60a wall mount or perhaps even one of the all in one units or floor mount units?

I'm assuming you had to implement specific special wiring to accommodate the 60a regardless of model because I believe for one thing from the 45a and up models those only come in balanced configurations.

Thanks

drummermitchell

« Reply #28 on: 14 Dec 2021, 02:41 am »
For me it is obvious if your house,power tools,even your vehicle.
Remember the power company when the  lights dimmed for lack of power.
Lack of power everything is strained,nothing even your 9v Mikita drill compared to a 20v makita(talk about effortless power)a lot more in reserve.
As far as audio you instantly hear it.
The 60a Torus and the 20a are both 240v
I ran 8awg x2 from the main breaker box to each Torus
The 60a has its own receptacle and the 20a 240v Torus I had my electrician make a  separate smaller breaker box(10 receptacles)with the 240v receptacle also(Just in case).
The front 60a Torus runs 28s and a 7 Bryston amps and a Svs sb-16 sub.
The rear 20a Torus runs 2x7ssst2,another sb-16 and Jvc projector,oppo 203,Bryston bd-17 cubed bda-2 and the bda-3 dac.
Yrs ago I had all Shunyata for amps 2xdd-15 subs and components.
I auditioned a Torus 15a years ago as an experiment with the Shunyatas.
They made the music sound the same WTF.
So I  thought perhaps the one 15a Torus couldn’t all the amps dd-15s and components.
Soooo I auditioned a 20a with the 15a Torus and holy MFr Everything and I mean everything just opened up.
The stage was enormous,the subs were chuffing along.
Just an effortlessness to the music,no strain.
Hard to explain but a feeling like you are at a live event,dynamics,huge soundstage ect.
Protection :like in my earlier post,
2xF-113s into the Torus and the other 2xF-113s into the wall.
We’ll there was a thunder storm and 2x113s we’re toast that we’re wall direct and the other two into the Torus plus projector,preamp ect ect all good to go.
Sometimes I sell the odd component(vac pre,sub or whatever)
Have had these Torus(s) for quite awhile and No I would not sell them as I find they are that good.
Huge upgrade compared to the using just the wall.

I did an experiment with some commercial amps just to see.
I believe the y each put out around 3000 w and I used them just with my mains.
The highs were a bit harsh,not enough to shut things down.
The percussion was OMFG that is the best I have heard from any amplifier.
They were crown amps.
The highs can be fatiguing after awhile but the percussion is out of this world,the best I ever heard.
Thought maybe trying active  and run crown amps for the bottom and Bryston for the mid/highs .
Course my imported China doll is threatening to buy me a reeeeal nice radio,so we’ll have to see.

Rod_S

« Reply #29 on: 18 Dec 2021, 02:29 am »
Thanks for the detailed response

Rod_S

« Reply #30 on: 18 Dec 2021, 02:59 am »
So the saga continues, with a new twist.

I was out of town again for a couple weeks and when I got back I noticed my modem, network switch and PVR were all off when they shouldn't be, they were plugged into the Furman voltage regulator which I left on but the regulator itself was in fact still on. WTF. So no power to the regulators outlets. I had nothing else connected to the regulator. So I power cycle the regulator and the modem, network switch and PVR power on. I then plug in my 3 amps, tv, SSP and Xbox and proceed to power up the system. Damn it, the system tripped just like it did a couple weeks earlier. I unplug the voltage regulator, let it sit for a while plug it back in and attempt to power things up once more. Everything powers up and things are fine the remainder of the evening. I shut the system down before going to bed and in the morning during power up the system trips again. The prior day after the system tripped and I got it running on the 2nd try that made me suspicious of whether there was an actually issue with my big Furman IT-Reference after all so with it still out of the rack I plugged it in and it powered up just fine. I had thought it dead when it wouldn't power up from a couple weeks ago after the system tripped the final time when it was plugged into the voltage regulator just as it has been for the past probably 15 years. It never occurred to me a couple weeks ago to retest the big Furman on it's own, I stupidly assumed it was dead however it was just the voltage regulator cutting power to all of it's outlets.

So I took the voltage regulator out of the system and reconnected the big Furman and plugged everything into it and the system started up with no issues. So I have a BIT-20 on order which I thought would be a replacement for the big Furman IT-Reference but now it's working fine so I'm down a voltage regulator. Not being able to afford the Bryston AVR series and Furman no longer making the SPR-20i voltage regulator I'm going to have to do without voltage regulation for the foreseeable future.

The problem now is after talking with Torus it's unlikely the BIT-20 and the Furman IT-Reference can be connected to the same circuit. I'll obviously test and see when the BIT arrives. With my room configured in such a way that actual separate circuits are very far away that's going to pose a significant challenge. When I'm back for an extended stay Torus wants me to test using a long extension cord connecting the IT-Reference to one circuit and the SPR-20i to another to see if truly spreading out the load sees the units function normally. That will help determine if there is a fault in the voltage regulator. I'm thinking there is because during the 2 weeks when I was away it tripped with only the modem, network switch and PVR plugged in which is essentially no load but it's definitely worthwhile to test.

If it does turn out I can't connect the IT-Reference and BIT-20 to the same circuit I have to find a permanent way of connecting one to the separate circuit across the room which would mean a very long power cord.

A question for James I suspect, I know Bryston offers 20a IEC to 15A plug step down cords, do you offer custom lengths of those cords and if so how long can you make them? I could be looking at a ridiculous 15 to 25 feet. I'm not sure exactly as I'll have to systematically go through each breaker on my wall panel to find out which plugs belong to which circuits. I know the 2 immediately behind my gear are on the same circuit with the next closest one (appx 10 feet away) is probably on the same circuit as well.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 18 Dec 2021, 11:41 am »
Hi Rod,

I do not think we can do custom lengths as we purchase the cables from a supplier - but I will ask.

Just so you know the variation in our products with voltage swing is quite wide - for an example the amplifiers will operate over a range of 85 volts to 135 volts without issue other than a reduction or increase in power.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #32 on: 18 Dec 2021, 06:52 pm »
Thanks for checking and for mentioning the good voltage tolerances of the Bryston gear.

Ron D

« Reply #33 on: 18 Dec 2021, 09:54 pm »
Rod - as info a number of years ago when I was more into 2 channel and had a better system than I do now (which BTW included a BDA-2 and squared 7Bs) I put in 3 20A lines - 1 for the amps, 1 for source and 1 for the preamp - overkill no doubt but I had the space in my breaker box, access to the rear of the wall that the lines ran to and did pretty much all the work myself. As it was a multipurpose room someone decided there would be a change in the room layout and my system got moved to the other side of the room where the nearest outlets were not dedicated so I built 3 long extension cords using 12 gauge wire, likely close to 25 feet in length and to my ears and those of my a few of my audio buddies there was no degradation or dilution of the sonic presentation.

Had I believed that the new layout was going to stay put for years (which it did not) I would have built very long power cords negating the connection from the component's power cords to the extension cord though I'm not sure there would have been any discernible benefit - probably would have let me sleep better at night...

Rod_S

« Reply #34 on: 19 Dec 2021, 05:26 pm »
Thanks for posting about your experience.

I certainly get not wanting an extension cord to be the permanent solution even if as you point out it's really more of a piece of mind thing than an actual real world concern.

I unfortunately have no ability/knowledge to make my own power cords so if I can't get an abnormally long cable from Bryston I'll probably go with with Kumber Kable because I belive they allow for custom lengths and do offer decent price on their 2 step down models from their top tier Palladian model so I could get a 10 AWG cable without having to take out a mortgage :)