Welcome to The Cinema

WGH

Welcome to The Cinema
« on: 9 Oct 2020, 09:32 pm »
Welcome to the wonderful world of movies,

I'll be your new guide to everything weird and wonderful in film and video, from old to new. I grew up watching the first black & white TV shows in Chicago, once a year my Dad would take my brother and I to one of the big movie houses downtown to see films like Ben-Hur, Sparticus and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. I've been hooked ever since.

I like exploring different cultures and genres from Korean zombie, Japanese anime and manga, Guatemalan dramas, Sci-Fi adventures, and everything else from around the world. Once in a while there will be rom-com too. I'll do a deep dive into a director's early films. It seems every movie I watch takes me on a new path, please join me on my journey.

Add your own reviews of undiscovered gems, comment on posted reviews but remember all of AC's rules apply here too, here are the Posting Guidelines

Let's have some fun  :popcorn:

Wayne

rockadanny

Re: Welcome to The Cinema
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2020, 10:00 pm »
Recently enjoyed watching "The Sword of Trust" with my wife. Love these types of quirky, funny, non-Hollywoodesque movies.

stlrman

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2020, 11:47 pm »
Thanks for taking over . I will check out the YouTube short sci-fi series you recommend.
Best of luck !!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2020, 11:08 pm »
Thanks for pitching in Wayne, appreciated.  :thumb: 

I'll throw out one of my George C. Scott favorites for consideration/recommendation. The Hospital, a black comedy with a very comely Dianna Rigg, and several other excellent character actors of the day. Written by Paddy Chayefsky, it's an almost nonstop 'comedy' of errors in large metropolitan New York hospital, simultaneously dealing with the social issues of the day in it's neighborhood. Directed by Arthur Hiller, released in '71. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2020, 11:25 pm »
Much appreciated, Wayne.  Over the years, I picked up some great recommendations here that would have slipped by me. 

uncola

« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2020, 11:47 am »
nice to have a movie discussion forum.

one movie with a good score is Interstellar.  I like using the track No Time For Caution to test bass.. those deep organ notes.  woah

FreddyJ

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2020, 12:24 pm »
nice to have a movie discussion forum.

one movie with a good score is Interstellar.  I like using the track No Time For Caution to test bass.. those deep organ notes.  woah

Interstellar is definitely a movie to have on your ticked list, along with the dim lights, comfy surroundings and distant shuffling of children and the dog moving!