Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer

Clive197

Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #160 on: 25 Mar 2021, 04:13 pm »
Sorry to keep on but I seem to have found another issue.
I seem to have answered my own no 2 question. I’m playing around with Qobuz and I’ve found the way to use 1 button press to upload whole album. However I’ve now uncovered another problem. When using Magic Moose on Qobuz I’m not getting hi Rez while I do on LDS. I have hi Rez on my Qobuz account. Is it me or what?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #161 on: 25 Mar 2021, 04:35 pm »
Hi CLive

I get HI-Res on my Qobuz account so it must be in the settings - I will check mine when I get home tonight.

james

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #162 on: 25 Mar 2021, 05:30 pm »
I think Francois might be correct in hinting that your Synology has a UPnP server running which your other devices are automatically finding (since you did not talk about having to enter network mount information), while the BR-20 is looking for an SMB network share. The BR-20 will look for SMB shares on the local network, which should automatically pop-up under the "NAS Setup" > "Add Share" > "Devices" pop-up menu. You can also manually enter the SMB mount information on that screen.

Regarding Qobuz, there is a "Qobuz" > "Sound Quality" pop-up menu you could double-check. I selected "Studio" from that pop-up menu and successfully played back 24-bit 44.1kHz, 24-bit 48kHz, 24-bit 96kHz, and 24-bit 192kHz.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #163 on: 25 Mar 2021, 06:00 pm »
I think Francois might be correct in hinting that your Synology has a UPnP server running which your other devices are automatically finding (since you did not talk about having to enter network mount information), while the BR-20 is looking for an SMB network share. The BR-20 will look for SMB shares on the local network, which should automatically pop-up under the "NAS Setup" > "Add Share" > "Devices" pop-up menu. You can also manually enter the SMB mount information on that screen.

Regarding Qobuz, there is a "Qobuz" > "Sound Quality" pop-up menu you could double-check. I selected "Studio" from that pop-up menu and successfully played back 24-bit 44.1kHz, 24-bit 48kHz, 24-bit 96kHz, and 24-bit 192kHz.

Neko

Thanks for your help - Do you have a BR-20?

james

Francois_Tardif

« Reply #164 on: 25 Mar 2021, 06:07 pm »
I have the BDA-3 and BDP-3 combo, and this was the solution for me. My guess is that the software that controls the streaming section of the BR-20 is similar to the software in the BDP-3. If the minimum SMB protocol is not set to SMB1, the BDP won’t “see” the NAS. Took me a while to find this one so I’m glad if it can help.

François

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #165 on: 25 Mar 2021, 07:21 pm »
Neko

Thanks for your help - Do you have a BR-20?
Yes, we have had a BR-20 for a couple of weeks now. :)

NorthMac

« Reply #166 on: 26 Mar 2021, 01:17 am »
I’ve had a bit of a eureka moment but I have a couple questions.

I’m planning on connecting my 500Gb Samsung SSD which has all my stored music on.
1) Will the BR20 have enough power for the USB or do I need to use a powered USB connector?
2) When loading a album, can I do whole album with 1 press as against pressing each individual track?

I’m still finding the software a little Heath Robinson and so far much prefer an app but I am persevering.

Clive - just a note that many of us have been using attached drives, bus powered, for some time.  Even my old, getting on in years, BDP-1 plays my 1 tb attached ssd drive without problems.  And as for the interface, try a trial of Rigelian; very clean, simple, and continuously being developed.

Clive197

« Reply #167 on: 26 Mar 2021, 03:02 pm »
Hi guys, me again.
I’ve succeeded in getting my SSD drive connected using a USB powered distribution connector and I’ve managed to get into Qobuz settings and put in the correct HiRez option. It was me when 1st logging into Qobuz not noticing the options menu. Muppet.
Still can’t access my NAS but this is no longer a problem as the SSD supplies my music files.
I’ve even managed to make a my.Bryston app on my iPad.
So all now seems well and good and I will carry on with the burn-in.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #168 on: 27 Mar 2021, 02:22 pm »

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BR-20 Sunny Components

March 2021

Sunil to Bryston – BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer

We finally got the Bryston BR-20 set up in our system.

Boy! This is shocking! WOW! Burning it in but first hour of listening tells me that this is going to be sensational.

Coherent, bold, detailed without any harshness, immense sound stage, leaning ever so slightly to a warm tone basically because it must have a very, very low noise floor.

This out-performs my 2 chassis Bryston easily. I even compared it with a 10K pre-amplifier...No Contest. Boy the guys at Bryston were not messing around.

If it were in a 5K chassis it would sell for 20K>

I have it paired with Vandersteen Quatro CT and Sub. More to come my friends...Start saving your pennies as once you hear the music flow from this system, your credit card will jump right out of your wallet.

Sunil,
Sunny Components

Clive197

« Reply #169 on: 29 Mar 2021, 11:12 am »
Burn-In probably 90% done with the results being awesome and amazingly transparent, nothing I’ve ever heard comes remotely close. The insight and clarity beggars belief. The system has been on for a good 8-10 hours a day since last Wednesday (5.5days) and I’ve mainly been using the internal streamer (to my surprise) which sound wise is also superb.
Control issues are still on my mind and I’m experiencing some problems controlling Qobuz which I hope someone could advise me on. How do I add or subtract whole albums from favourites being my biggest head scratcher.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #170 on: 29 Mar 2021, 12:05 pm »
Hi Clive

To remove an album or playlist see below.

Click on the file and drag to the left. Turns RED - Then let go (If getting rid of list or song in a playlist on the left side Drag Right)

Hit Remove

Clive197

« Reply #171 on: 29 Mar 2021, 03:03 pm »
Thanks for that James. BUT it doesn’t work. I suspect it’s because your using a PC and I use an iPad. If anybody can help who also uses Apple products I would be very grateful

Spyman

« Reply #172 on: 29 Mar 2021, 11:29 pm »
It works on my iPad.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #173 on: 30 Mar 2021, 03:48 am »
Thanks for that James. BUT it doesn’t work. I suspect it’s because your using a PC and I use an iPad. If anybody can help who also uses Apple products I would be very grateful

You have to grab it by the album art or folder icon, can be a little trick on touch enabled devices.

Chris

Clive197

« Reply #174 on: 30 Mar 2021, 09:26 am »
Thanks guys

Clive197

« Reply #175 on: 30 Mar 2021, 01:17 pm »

I have scrolled the album cover thumbnail left and as it moves over and when I let go it just disappears!

However I have found a work-around. By logging on to the Qobuz app on my iPad I have full control of favourites, then back to My.Bryston and all is sweet. I don’t need to alter favourites daily and sometimes not for weeks. So after nearly a week I’ve found ways of bi-passing my two problems. Using a SSD instead of a NAS and using Qobuz dedicated app for fine control. Viola.

Thank you and others for your help and hope I’m not too much of a PITA.

Clive

jbuzas

« Reply #176 on: 1 Apr 2021, 09:18 pm »
maybe this has been answered--long thread---when will the BR-20 be Roon Ready?  If I got one now, does it have RAAT installed so I can use it with Roon even if it isn't certified yet?  Has Bryston already sent Roon a unit?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #177 on: 1 Apr 2021, 10:20 pm »
maybe this has been answered--long thread---when will the BR-20 be Roon Ready?  If I got one now, does it have RAAT installed so I can use it with Roon even if it isn't certified yet?  Has Bryston already sent Roon a unit?

Hi

It has to be certified before you can use ROON.  We have submitted a unit so it depends on when they let us know.  Its usually a few months.

james

jbuzas

« Reply #178 on: 1 Apr 2021, 11:02 pm »
Thanks for the quick response.  I've heard it's taking a while to get a BR-20 once ordered, so mabe it would be Roon Ready by the time I got it! 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #179 on: 2 Apr 2021, 11:26 am »
Thanks for the quick response.  I've heard it's taking a while to get a BR-20 once ordered, so mabe it would be Roon Ready by the time I got it!

Hi

Yes before we started shipping we were 108 units backordered and have about 50 units in the market now.

The interesting point is that the reaction as been so positive that we are getting further behind.

james