Bryston Manic Moose Interface

rfbdp1

Re: Bryston Manic Moose Interface
« Reply #280 on: 5 Jan 2022, 10:34 pm »
deleted duplicate
Thanks Vonnie! How did you delete one of the J Cash American recording from MM? I added it to my Tidal collection successfully (!) but am not sure how to delete the non- functioning duplicate title.

gbaby

« Reply #281 on: 5 Jan 2022, 10:41 pm »

The main reason I am satisfied with Manic Moose is that I use local USB drives exclusively to play back files. I don't use Roon, Qubuz or Ethernet to access music files. So, I am good.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #282 on: 6 Jan 2022, 01:49 am »
Is it me or is the search function clunky and slow ie unreliable?
Would this be a good time to ask why I can play a Tidal album on Tidal but not on MM?
Johnny Cash album shown below won’t play, instead I get message “tidalplay.php?….video.flac”

The search works but there seems to be some pitfalls lately.  I can find the album I want in the Artist View, but only the first one under "missing titles" has a play button, so no way to play the one I want unless it is in My Library!  It used to work months ago last time I tried.

The other problem I seem to have frequently is getting logged out so you can't play anything in TIDAL at all, and constantly having to log back into the Bryston portal.  But that could be because I am also using my TIDAL account on other devices.

I must say that playing back local files, the simplest of use cases, works quite nicely in Artist View.  But I think the whole web-based MM thing would be non-intuitive for someone without computer experience.  There are just too many little buttons, tiny scrolling windows within windows, and ways to get lost.

vonnie123

« Reply #283 on: 6 Jan 2022, 02:09 am »
Thanks Vonnie! How did you delete one of the J Cash American recording from MM? I added it to my Tidal collection successfully (!) but am not sure how to delete the non- functioning duplicate title.

I never added it to my favorites.  I just did a search on Johnny Cash, and it populated the albums. 

I'm not 100 percent sure, but that should be controlled in the Tidal account, not the BDP.  You can clear loaded tracks by selecting clear at the top of your screen next to update and consume.

GSDaudio

« Reply #284 on: 6 Jan 2022, 02:13 pm »

The other problem I seem to have frequently is getting logged out so you can't play anything in TIDAL at all, and constantly having to log back into the Bryston portal.  But that could be because I am also using my TIDAL account on other devices.

That happened about 18 months ago when Tidal changed the 3rd party login requirements.  Probably to make sure that you could not stream on more devices than your subscription allows.    This is top of mind because the BDP-1 had some issues with the new requirements at the time requiring a MM update specific for BDP-1.    That's when I bit the bullet and upgraded to the BDP-3.    At least now the login process is FAST with the BDP-3

mr_bill

« Reply #285 on: 20 Feb 2022, 04:22 pm »
I’ve read how to hook up an IPad via USB.
Does anyone use a Samsung Tab S in the same way and does that work?
(I know you don’t get Apple Music high res on a Samsung but just curious on the direct hook up USB C method)

jobiwon

« Reply #286 on: 21 Feb 2022, 07:55 pm »
I’ve read how to hook up an IPad via USB.
Does anyone use a Samsung Tab S in the same way and does that work?
(I know you don’t get Apple Music high res on a Samsung but just curious on the direct hook up USB C method)

I went to a samsung site and jumped on a chat.  They said the tab s 8 supports digital out via usb c.  It appeared I was interacting with a human of some type.

mr_bill

« Reply #287 on: 21 Feb 2022, 11:14 pm »
Thanks Jobiwon, I wonder if that's the case with the S7 line as well or just new to the S8 Series.

(I'm new to Samsung Galaxy Tablets if you can't tell)

jobiwon

« Reply #288 on: 23 Feb 2022, 10:01 pm »
Thanks Jobiwon, I wonder if that's the case with the S7 line as well or just new to the S8 Series.

(I'm new to Samsung Galaxy Tablets if you can't tell)

I would expect if it has a USB C slot that its highly likely it does. 

jean7007

« Reply #289 on: 7 Jul 2022, 07:02 am »
Suggestions for Manic Moose

1)
(after back up) to be able to merge (and unmerge) albums into one artist folder by drag and drop
in the playlist it is already easy to drag and drop songs in order

2)
For future listening sessions after upgrade to new BDP to keep track with what BDP version / BOT the CD back up was made
- auto comment in the imported meta data : CD backup by Bryston BDP (nr) & BOT-1

3)
When the scratch disk is set to the same HD/SSD as the storage as the imported CD’s. Bryston db files are showing in the list of music files, can’t these needed database files be hidden and not show up in the music files?

4)
Using (the Mac and ) webbrowser to the BDP to be able to change the complete track (after back up). My BDP library editor allows me to change genre, albumartist and img_album (but only shows me one album)
- artist, album, genre, tracks, release year, comment(s), record label, region (such as Japanese Release) in one simple same way

5)
(Before the backup)
more fields to (be able) fill in: Record Label, Region, Release Year.

6)
drag and drop an image of cover art in the BDP CD Back Up import section as extra to the URL link

7)
Upgrading the CF Card in the BDP-1
the available CF card disk space seems insufficient in the BDP-1? At least when : use memory for temp stoarge is chosen and not yet a scratch disk assigned. The allocated memory runs full and the system becomes stuck.
If so:
Can we  upgrade the 4GB CF Flash to a larger CF Flash? Copying the original 4GB CF to the larger CF? renaming the larger CF to the 4GB CF card ? Is that a possibility and Will this improve the reliability of the BDP?

8)
When performing a backup of CD’s it is very useful in the webbrowser menu CD Back Up  to have a overview for the actual used/free  SSD/ harddisk space always visible. 
- for example at the bottom of the screen, left the user assigned scratch disk /user used/free and on the other side the amount of data size used/free on the assigned HD/SSD for storage of the songs

9)
When the cd backup is ready, it takes time (about a minute) before the CD ejects from the BOT
there is no message that it is busy with anything, until the cd is ejected.
It only shows completed on the last track.
Suggestion;
- can a message be shown, busy (0/100%) wait until cd ejects
- eject the CD directly after the back up instead of after 1 minute
This will speed up the process of backup  many cd’s

10)
While busy with the backup of a CD using the BOT
I noticed that on the physical display of the BDP, the notification shows: CD Ready
Suggestion:
- when using the BOT to backup a CD (using the webbrowser to the BDP) show on the physical display the status of the BDP/ BOT: for example; BOT CD backup in progress (0/100%)

11)
in the dashboard/system information is the notification about the amount of tracks imported.
Can this also show the amount of albums?

12)
Timing (webbrowser entree) for the BDP-1
it takes about 5-10 seconds between pressing the button backup and the message: backup initiated
Suggestion; can that time be shorter?
- a message earlier: back up cd starting
- the backup button to maintain blue until the back up process is started

13)
errors that happen while importing are due to damaged/scratched CD’s.
An enhanced error correction is welcome.

14)
a way of pre run before import of CD’s
-  let the BDP before backup first testing the CD per track for unrecoverable errors  before importing/back up,
- showing the tracks with possible errors perhaps in red,
- deselecting the tracks with errors, skipping those tracks, i.e.
- showing the error rate status of the track in %

15)
a 2nd meta data search engine for the album tracks would be welcome, as musicbrainz sometimes just gives wrong albums/track names or no meta data at all.

albumartexchange.com is a great cover art search engine,
if that could be added to the musicbrainz meta data cover art search engine that would be great
this search engine for cover art has great quality covers
the covers that are not found by musicbrainz are in this albumartexchange.com site

16)
Covert art (if found by musicbrainz)
is shown underneath the cover art of the previous imported CD. A manual press download is often needed to get the cover art uploaded into the BDP.  This could be improved.

jean7007

« Reply #290 on: 7 Jul 2022, 07:05 am »
Questions Manic Moose

1)
What are the differences to update the DB?
1. - /disk information : update (disk)
2. - media player settings: reset DB.
3. The central update button

2)
Media Player Setting: use memory as temp storage
what are the plus sides of this setting?

3)
I have used a thumbdrive as scratch disk, now I use the external cd import target HD/SSD as scratch disk
The thumbdrive still has >1.6GB in use
When does the data size move / is deleted ? Or is it just allocated memory? And is it safe to remove the thumbdrive.

4)
Upload Web
(on a Mac) Artist view, album, mouse right click to open cover art upload, next to it is upload web, no clue what it does, you can drag & drop the downloaded cover art in the web part.

5)
as the BDP is connected to the (home) network
it would be great if the BDP could be selected and dump music data to the HD/SSD attached to the BDP from another server in the same network, for example via FTP or the likes, is that possible via the NAS service in the BDP?

jean7007

« Reply #291 on: 7 Jul 2022, 07:06 am »
Bugs

1)
At Musicbtainz there are albums with correct cover art but these just wont show up in the BDP for that specific album.
Cover art in Music brainz
No Doubt - Just A Girl did not show up as cover art in the BDP.
willing to upload this cover art to musicbrainz… found in musicbrainz it does exist, it only does not show up in the BDP.
Odd.

2)
In default view I have for example 10 albums from one artist in one folder, but in artist view the folder only shows a few.

3)
Library Editor in the BDP-1
Adding Cover Art to already imported CD’s .
This possibility is there in the media player settings / album art : img_album but it’s not working (correctly). My BDP shows from my library only 1 album with missing cover art.  Not all my albums with missing cover art. Perhaps in time, perhaps it needs to build the DB. I have yet to find out how to select an album and get it in library editor to add cover art.

4)
using the bdp / bot to back up cd’s I have seen one track counting to 300% completed
It could have been a data track / or copy protection track on a audio cd
Suggestion, let the BDP skip data tracks, it does not play on the BDP and only uses harddisk space

5)
Connection to the only meta data source Musicbrainz for the BDP sometimes is gone. Eth is still there. The BDP can be reached by the webbrowser.  Cables are ok. What could be wrong? No meta data = no import CD’s. Reboot the BDP brings back the musicbrainz. Is there another way to re establish the connection?

jean7007

« Reply #292 on: 7 Jul 2022, 07:07 am »
Macbook/ Imac/Mac tips & tricks webbrowser to the BDP (I have no other computers than Mac)

1)
Change Cover Art (after the CD backup) by downloading the cover art
the standard metadata search engine in the bdp musicbrainz does not alway give a correct cover art
Download the preferred cover art (at discogs, albumartexchange or musicbrainz).
Set  mediaplayer to artist view, go to album, when a album shows zero cover art, right click mouse pad on the empty cover art. The drag drop option will open and downloaded cover art can be placed in the drag drop box. It might showing uploading without any ending/ stays at say 99%. After 5 /10 seconds closing the box shows the cover art is indeed uploaded. Toggle and back to see if cover art is uploaded.

Changing artist name (after back up)
- Cover arts changing works by right mouse click on the square cover art in artist view
-  I hoped that right click on artist would also work to change the name of the artist.
- How to change the name of the artist or album name after the backup is made?
Before backup it is easy to change artist name and track name, if it could be made that in song view the meta data could be edited.

2)
Change track names (before the back up)
When the meta data is loaded, sometimes meta data bugs are visible
for example Celine Dion shows up as Cline Dion.
I have not yet found a way in my BDP for changing the artist name after making the backup. So I make sure to correct any errors before the CD backup.
To change a track name, click on the precize letters (box) of the track name, this will open the box in blue outline and you could change the name of the track.
To change artist name, click on the artist name and change it.

3)
Placing cover art link in the BDP (before backup)
Go to musicbrainz, discogs, albumartexchange
-  open the cover art in the preferred resolution
-  right click: copy location of the image and use this in the url download of the BDP CD back up cover art (4 blue squares at the right)

4)
Alternative changing cover art, meta data
shutdown the BDP
disattach the SSD/HD and hook it up to your computer
open a album location
change the album name, artist name
place the cover art into this main folder of the album and change the name to cover
When ready hook up the SSD /HD to the BDP
the database should rebuild (in time) else press update and all should be changed

jean7007

« Reply #293 on: 7 Jul 2022, 07:17 am »
Meta data hick-ups
There are some hick ups in meta data when importing CD’s.
The same hick ups as I would have using my Mac as CD ripper.
The unique digital number round the hole in the CD, isn't that unique. A fault of the music industry.
So meta data will get mixed up, and may or may not represent the CD you wish to back up.
For example Aerosmith - Armageddon single and Soundgarden - Hands All Over have the same 'unique' CD ID number.
In the BDP are several options before the back up to change the meta data to another artist.
As well options to manually change meta data, genre, album cover art and artist after the back up of the CD.
I think: The more obscure an album is the more likely the unique CD ID is already used for another CD.
So I use the webbrowser to the BDP-1 & BOT-1 to check the meta data before backup.
Mainstream CD's are less likely to be mixed up with other CD's unique ID.

As people use the Bryston BDP and manually fix the incorrect cover art pointed by musicbrainz or zero cover art. Bryston could upload the fixed corrected cover art/ meta data and send it from the BDP to Musicbrainz so in time their meta data becomes better.

Suggestion
albumartexchange.com is a great cover art search engine,
if that could be added to the musicbrainz meta data cover art search engine that would be great
this search engine for cover art has great quality covers
the covers that are not found by musicbrainz are in this albumartexchange.com site
I have tested this site, placed the cover art link to full screen preview, copied the websadres in the bdp cover art as url and it just works

Example: Michelle Pfeiffer Dangerous Minds, not on Musicbrainz but found at albumartexchange.com

I  opened a musicbrainz account, to drag and drop missing cover art in there, but it takes hours/days for the cover art to show up in musicbrainz. And when it is in musicbrainz, it does not mean it will show up in the BDP.

Media Settings library editor
for me only shows 1 missing cover art, cannot change the track names, cannot change artist name but can change genre and album artist), luckely I can change cover art on artist view.

- I have not found out/ cannot edit meta data for cover art in media player settings/  img_album . The BDP only shows me 1 album with missing cover art (have not found out how to show all albums) Drag & drop a 600x600 pix cover art into the box, the box shows cover art but takes ages but nothing happens, has it been updated, can I close the box? no messages, no updated cover art.
- I have yet to find out how to get the library in media player settings/ db/ library editor to update and show all albums with missing cover art

jean7007

« Reply #294 on: 7 Jul 2022, 07:17 am »
Error correction CD’s to import

BDP-1 / BOT time to import one CD, about 60 to 100 seconds per track, 25 minutes per CD for the BDP-1 and BOT.
That is: If no CD’s with scratches are inserted, because then you have to capture track by track until you reach the damaged tracks.and can avoid importing the damaged tracks
Suggestion(s) for enhanced back up of (damaged) CD’s

The BDP should not crash because of CD errors
That the BDP becomes stuck on a CD damaged track with zero progress is frustating. The BDP could give a notification: track cannot be read, skip the track?

CD being physical these can get dirty/ scratches etc
Some CD became stuck in the backup progress
The CD needs to be ejected and the backup progress is stopped (if the whole BDP isn’t crashed)

A error/ timer setting in the BDP could help,

Suggestion;
Webbrowser setting in the back up menu in he BDP
* how many times re reading the same CD tracks before skipping the track
* after so many times trying to read the data, skip the track. Not importing it. Next track.
I have seen cd’s stuck in backup on one track for hours without any progress.
Ejecting the CD, skipping the track by deselecting and backup again.

Sometimes after a while of trying to read one CD track, the BOT ejects the CD, inserting the CD again skipping the track manually
can’t the BDP than just skip that track?

For CD’s (with probable issues ) a solution could be
a way of pre run :
-  let the BDP before backup first testing the CD per track for unrecoverable errors  before importing/back up,
- showing the tracks with possible errors perhaps in red,
- deselecting the tracks with errors, skipping those tracks, i.e.
- showing the error rate status of the track in %

Some CD’s take ages to backup
no idea why, it can take 10 minutes per track Kylie Minoque - Body Language album for example takes ages.  ame for Klaus Schulze- The Dome Event 62 minutes per track on the CD.
The next CD goes superfast
What could be the issue, it’s not the HD storage for the BDP, not the /user memory.

Some CD’s take ages to backup
no idea why, it can take 10 minutes per track Kylie Minoque - Body Language album for example takes ages.  ame for Klaus Schulze- The Dome Event 62 minutes per track on the CD.
The next CD goes superfast
What could be the issue, it’s not the HD storage for the BDP, not the /user memory.

vonnie123

« Reply #295 on: 9 Jul 2022, 06:17 pm »
I have a BOT-1 attached to a BDP-2 IAD. Works as designed. No more than a minute to have the disc read and stored in the BDP.  The question is what data gets read from the CD, which is mostly related to how the CD is coded.  Old redbooks don’t have as much data to read as newer discs.

The BDP-1s are memory deficient.  They get bogged down pretty easy.

I only use the BOT-1 as a player for occasional CD spins.  Backing up my music is done with SSDs/HDDs.

avsrb

« Reply #296 on: 18 Jul 2022, 08:36 am »
Just jumping in here.  Lots of good discussion in this thread.

I've been using a BR-20 as my DAC & Pre.  Sound is GAME CHANGING.
I tried MM for a few weeks, but find the Bluesound interface much faster and easier to use from my phone.  Phone app controls a Bluesound Node which happily delivers Qobuz up to 24/192 to the BR-20.  For some services Bluesound doesn't support as well, Spotify + archived radio programs on Soundcloud or Mixcloud, a Sonos Port delivers those to the BR-20.  Sonos controller app on phone, ipad is excellent though Port streaming caps out at 24/48. Again, being able to select the audio content from local, streaming, etc. from my phone then leverage the BR-20 as DAC and Pre has fantastic.  This config also allows me to play same music in my other 7 home music zones.  Also allows me to play those same albums while in the car, plane, vacation, etc.  Qobuz supports download and offline playing up to 24/192.  Use the lightning to _____ connector to avoid bluetooth in the signal path when outside the home...

Hope that is helpful to someone trying to cover all their use cases with highest possible sound quality.

Dear Arloparanhos,

Long time reader, first post on this forum - thanks to you, as you have the exact combination (BR-20 as DAC + Node as streaming transport) that I might purchase :)

Would you please be so kind to check the following:
1. If the BR-20 is recognised as a USB DAC/DDC by the Node? I could not find any info regarding this.
2. Whether volume control from the BluOS app has any effect? This would tell if the BR20 is recognised as a DAC (no effect) or DDC (volume control works).

I would have PMed you, but as a new member I cannot (yet).
USB audio out is available on the latest Node (N130) and should be enabled automatically according to this Bluesound article: https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/articles/4417440985879-How-to-enable-USB-Audio-Out-on-NODE-N130-

PS:
- From what I've read on other forums, the USB input on the external DAC (in this case the BR20) should be selected in order for the Node to detect it.
- After first connecting a USB DAC to the Node, a disconnect/reconnect of the USB DAC/cable might be needed.

Clive197

« Reply #297 on: 18 Jul 2022, 09:13 pm »
Hi guys. Just wondering if anybody at Bryston is mucking about with Manic Moose.? I can no longer get Artist view to work, thumbnails aren’t working and I can no longer get album info.

Calypte

« Reply #298 on: 19 Jul 2022, 06:47 am »
I use MM several times daily.  I've had no recent problems.

Clive197

« Reply #299 on: 19 Jul 2022, 07:46 am »
I’ve done a DB rebuild which seems to have resolved most of the issues but I still can’t get Artist/Album info.