Omega junior 8 xrs and a 45 SET amp?

roscoe65

Re: Omega junior 8 xrs and a 45 SET amp?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Dec 2018, 06:26 pm »
What preamp are you guys liking/using? I'm looking for one for the Dennis Had Inspire amp driving Omega 8 and XRS3 floor monitors.

For my 421A?  None.  It has a 0.65V input sensitivity so I use it source-direct into the Alps Blue Velvet pot.

I also own a Dennis Had amp (KT88 PSE) with another out on long-term loan.  I use a Dennis Had LP27A preamp with upgraded DACT volume controls.

tybee

« Reply #21 on: 5 Dec 2018, 07:56 pm »
 An Audio zone passive is used with both the Yamamoto and 421A amps playing old school CDs and LPs.  While I have several active tubed preamps, I strongly prefer the passive with these two amps as the passive hides nothing sonically.  Active preamps for these amps are not necessary as Rosco hints.

roscoe65

« Reply #22 on: 5 Dec 2018, 09:25 pm »
However, if you’re using a Korneff type design you’ll likely want a bit of gain to get full output.

Slam

« Reply #23 on: 6 Dec 2018, 04:16 am »
I’m using a Belles preamp that I’ve had for 30 years or more. Sounds great though I’m hoping to get a matching tube preamp

RDavidson

« Reply #24 on: 6 Dec 2018, 04:32 am »
Take a look at the standard Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE. This is a super high performance preamp. It is also versatile, fully balanced, and reliable. It will let you hear what your amp and source can do, meaning it doesn't add a lot of flavoring of its own. Very tough to beat especially if you can find one used.

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #25 on: 6 Dec 2018, 09:33 pm »
Thanks everyone! I see many of you as local experts and I'm glad you chimed in with a nice range to consider. I'm doing my research!

Samscal

« Reply #26 on: 1 Sep 2021, 12:39 pm »
I have a triode lab integrated parallel 45 set running with SAM Omega’s.   I can’t pass 10 o’clock on volume.

Sound is amazing.

thetakeout

« Reply #27 on: 30 Sep 2021, 04:10 am »
I have the jr. Alnico towers being pushed by 45 mono block amps.  Killer sound out my way. 

Les Lammers

« Reply #28 on: 21 Oct 2021, 04:11 pm »
Not mine and just a heads up. There is a nice Inspire CJ5 preamp on the auction site.

jandrews

« Reply #29 on: 1 Jul 2022, 03:45 pm »
Greetings
I'm looking to purchase a somewhat budget friendly 45 or 845 SET amp for use with my Omega Super 7's
I recently purchased an AVA SET 120 power amp and AVA RB10 tube pre amp.
They sound great but I'm going to split my system so that amp/preamp will be used with my Magnepans and I'm looking for a low watt SET to use with my Omegas (and Omega sub)
The issue is , my Super 7's are 94.5 db sensitive.  I'm concerned that 2 watts is just a little low for them.  Would love to find something closer to 3.5-5 watts.
In terms of builders, I think Alan Eaton or Oliver Sayes makes sense with respect to their philosophy of design/build and price.
Does anyone have any other recommendations ?  What would be a complementary preamp to use with SET's from either of those two builders...or others?
current set up:  Ifi Zen Stream > Border Patrol DAC > RB10 Tube Pre > SET 120 Power Amp > Supra Rondo 2.5 speakers cables

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #30 on: 1 Jul 2022, 05:32 pm »
Greetings
I'm looking to purchase a somewhat budget friendly 45 or 845 SET amp for use with my Omega Super 7's
I recently purchased an AVA SET 120 power amp and AVA RB10 tube pre amp.
They sound great but I'm going to split my system so that amp/preamp will be used with my Magnepans and I'm looking for a low watt SET to use with my Omegas (and Omega sub)
The issue is , my Super 7's are 94.5 db sensitive.  I'm concerned that 2 watts is just a little low for them.  Would love to find something closer to 3.5-5 watts.
In terms of builders, I think Alan Eaton or Oliver Sayes makes sense with respect to their philosophy of design/build and price.
Does anyone have any other recommendations ?  What would be a complementary preamp to use with SET's from either of those two builders...or others?
current set up:  Ifi Zen Stream > Border Patrol DAC > RB10 Tube Pre > SET 120 Power Amp > Supra Rondo 2.5 speakers cables

I have a Sayes 45 amp, and also had an Eaton 45 amp. Love(d) both. My speakers are Cube Nenuphar Mini's which aren't as efficient as your Omegas, I believe. Still have the Sayes amp, but I don't use it a lot. Still, love the build and parts quality and it has a great, lively sound. I don't have a problem with output unless I really try and crank the volume, but I tend not to listen super loud.

thetakeout

« Reply #31 on: 13 Jul 2022, 05:16 pm »
abd1

which says 45 do you have. I know he does the Yamamoto clone and a Korneff clone. I am sure there are others.

Do you run a preamp with the Sayes?  If so what preamp are you using?

I am interested to know what has replaced the 45 amps in your chain with the Cube speakers?

Thanks!

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #32 on: 13 Jul 2022, 09:20 pm »
I don't know what clone version it is, but here is the link to the ad I initially responded to: https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649782488-single-ended-45-dht-triode-amplifier/?utm_campaign=response-received&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email

However, I wound up having a new amp built and Oliver upgraded some parts. Quoting Oliver... "The parts I treated you a little, resistors are really nice sounding AMTRANS carbon film, coupling capacitors are copper foil/paper in oil types, bypass for the 45 cathode is a large PP film type."

I think for the price point, build quality, and part quality, and just the fact that it is handbuilt to order makes it a special amp if your speakers are willing to sound good with 1.5 watts. Luckily the Nenuphar Mini's are. I used the amp with a Sachs tube preamp and an Audio GD HE XLR tube preamp, which is still currently in the system. Both sound great.

I need to hook this amp back up since I haven't listened to it in a few months. I kinda went amp crazy. The Nenuphar Mini's are unique to me because they can work with low pwered amps like this and they're revealing so that I can pick up differences in sound from any system changes more than any speaker I've had before. So, I've been playing with a lot of amps. I currently have this 45 amp, a Line Magnetic LM518 (I bypass the preamp section), Primaluna EVO300 amp, LSA Voyager 350 GanFET amp (haven't really used much yet and is really for a different system), and I am actually today picking up a pair of Valvet A4-CB monoblocks. I've also used a Canary M90, Mastersound EL34 amp, Tektron EL84 amp, Sophia Electric 91-01 monos, Odyssey Kismet, and possibly a couple others I'm not thinking of. Looking at this list I think I have a problem! My favorite right now is the Line Magnetic, but the 45 amp is one of favorites because the sound is unique. The bass is very deep, maybe a touch thick, but has this bouncy elasticity to it that makes listening to jazz a lot of fun. I'll likely pair down to 2 amps but I think I'll always keep the 45 amp because I love the uniqueness of it, its relatively inexpensive so wouldn't yield me that much if I sold it, and it sounds great. I also did briefly have the an Alan Eaton 45. That also sounded great. But I sold that when I got the Oliver Sayes one. The build quality and parts are very similar and they sounded very similar. It really just came down to me preferring that Oliver built this amp for me and I love the wood casing. Otherwise I also recommend the Alan Eaton amps.

The amps I still really want to try are the First Watt amps. I keep seeing SIT-3's and one day I will try one, but I love tube amps and have my hands full right now. Excited to hear the Valvets because on paper they seem like a great match for the Cubes. We'll see (or hear).