New Phono stage: PH 9.0 MM/MC with on-the-fly loading!

modwright

Re: New Phono stage: PH 9.0 MM/MC with on-the-fly loading!
« Reply #20 on: 9 May 2018, 10:25 pm »
No, it will be an entirely different supply.

Thanks,

Dan

mjalazard

« Reply #21 on: 10 May 2018, 09:11 pm »
Hey Dan,
I'de love to be a beta tester...
I have the VPI M3 with a Techinics EPC p100 Mk4 MM and a Sony PSX800 biotracer with Ortofon kontrapunkt b MC (the NFS Audio turntable)
I can easily switch between MC and MM for comparison.
Mike A

modwright

« Reply #22 on: 10 May 2018, 09:47 pm »
Cool, I will add you to the list!

Thanks Mike!

Dan

modwright

« Reply #23 on: 20 May 2018, 07:09 pm »
I am nearing completion of the enclosure design of our new PH 9.0 phono stage with external supply.  Price is to be $2900 retail with optional fully balanced XLR transformer coupled outs as an add cost option.

I will post images of my final proposed aesthetic design and layout for feedback. I am balancing cost/performance with aesthetic design. As most of you know, often the biggest portion of a products end cost is based on the cost of the enclosure.  The goal here is a high value, high performance phono stage that offers as much of the PH 150 performance as possible at a much lower price. The looks needs to be clean and elegant as well as in keeping with the rest of our product line. However, I am also balancing the cost of the enclosure in order to post MOST of the money in the design itself and hence sonics!

Thank you,

Dan W.

dminches

« Reply #24 on: 20 May 2018, 07:47 pm »
Dan, while no one wants an ugly unit (which you would never offer anyhow), most people are interested in value.  I am sure whatever your final design is will be more than acceptable.  People appreciate getting a lot for less money.

Looking forward to this.

modwright

« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2018, 03:24 am »
Thanks! I agree, performance and value are most inortant. It will be an exceptional unit AND exceptional value!

Dan

modwright

« Reply #26 on: 1 Jun 2018, 08:36 pm »
Big thanks to Mono & Stereo for their post from 2018 Axpona of our prototype PH 9.0. We showed with Studio Electric's fantastic < $3K M4 monitors, Fern & Roby's Montrose TT with Hana SL cart and Zu's Mission cables!

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2018/04/new-modwright-ph-90-tube-phono-stage.html

The actual final PH 9.0 design and price has been set. The $2900 PH 9.0, which is STRONGLY related to our PH 150 Reference tube phono ($7900) will soon be released.  It will be a two-box solution, despite what was indicated at Axpona. The use of Lundahl step-up transformers required us to keep the power supply as far as possible from the phono circuitry.

I struggled with this, as people have less rack space these days and I want this product to be as efficient with space as your wallet! The end decision was to make the supply external, simple and utilitarian, intended to sit on the floor, behind the rack or wherever you choose. This is achieved via a suitably long 6ft. umbilical. The supply houses the choke, power transformer and most rudimentary compomnents of the power supply that are also the most likely to introduce noise to the delicate signal path.

The umbilical is a 4-pin XLR type. This is significantly cheaper than the 8 pin Switchcraft or 10-pin Amphenol connectors that we use in our PH 150 and LS 36.5 DM Reference phono and preamps. Making the chassis a simple steel enclosure without decorative faceplate, also keeps the cost down. This allow us to put ALL of the money into optimizing the SOUND of the unit.

Circuitry is REMARKABLY similar to the PH 150, right down to the same Lunhdal step-ups and tube complement: (2) 6C45's and (2) 6922's. There are some differences of course and simplifications made to reduce cost, but you really won't hear it in the final product!

The PH 9.0 phono unit itself is 10"W x 3.5"H (not counting footers) x 10"D. Power supply = 7"W x 3"H x 9"D. The enclosures are steel (acting as Faraday Cages). The phono enclosure is finished with an Aluminum faceplate. Logo and graphics will all be silkscreened, so you will not see the characteristic backlit MWI logo. [Some of you like less LEDs anyhow, so this is a plus]. Again, costs were cut in the RIGHT places, to allow for a nice looking unit that SOUNDS like its much higher priced family member. Production drawings are going out to the machinist on Monday, but here is a graphic representation of the PH 9.0 face.

You will find the same large knobs as the PH 150, as well as the same MM, Mute, MC input select and of course on-the-fly MC loading. MM loading will be fixed 47K/100pf. Two toggles on the face finish out the controls with a power on/off toggle (only small blue LED present) and a three-way toggle for gain attenuation: 0, -12dB, -6dB. This allows for optimum gain setting for MM and MC. MM max gain = 50dB; MC max gain = 66dB. There will also be a rear mono/stereo toggle.

The base design features only RCA inputs, one pair MM and one pair MC.  There is also one pair of RCA main outs. Optional fully balanced, transformer coupled XLR outputs are an add cost option (price TBD).

I am excited about this and will be announcing when the first production units are ready to go out the door. We have a good list of Beta testers and dealers/distributors waiting on this one!

Thanks for all of your support.

Dan Wright
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.

modwright

« Reply #27 on: 14 Jun 2018, 10:57 pm »
Enclosure drawings off to the machinist for manufacturing today! I have been sick the past few weeks (just a bad cold) and it has put me a bit behind.

Just an update for those who are waiting.

Thanks!

Dan

GregC

« Reply #28 on: 14 Jun 2018, 11:19 pm »
Thanks for the update Dan, hope you get to feeling better soon.

modwright

« Reply #29 on: 16 Jun 2018, 12:08 am »
Thanks Greg!

modwright

« Reply #30 on: 13 Jul 2018, 08:39 pm »
Emails have just gone out to those who expressed interest in being Beta Customers. The first production run of 25 pieces is short and going fast. If you are interested in the new PH 9.0 tube phono stage, please let us know right away!

PCBs are assembled and I am expecting enclosures any day now!

The first units will be shipping in early August!

Thanks,

Dan W.

modwright

« Reply #31 on: 18 Jul 2018, 04:47 pm »
Testing the PH 9.0 design now. I thought I had a problem at first because I didn't hear anything.  Then I dropped the needle and realized that it is just that quiet!

Looking and Sounding GOOD!

Dan

modwright

« Reply #32 on: 18 Jul 2018, 04:48 pm »
Chassis are coming out of paint today. First two plates are on the way to silkscreen, along with chassis. Remainder of face plates are headed to the metal finisher. Moving along NICELY!!!

GregC

« Reply #33 on: 18 Jul 2018, 04:51 pm »
Testing the PH 9.0 design now. I thought I had a problem at first because I didn't hear anything.  Then I dropped the needle and realized that it is just that quiet!

Looking and Sounding GOOD!

Dan

Hi Dan,

Were you using the MC input with the internal transformer or the MM input? 

Greg

modwright

« Reply #34 on: 18 Jul 2018, 06:06 pm »
I was using MC with internal step-ups.  The same with MM though!

Dan

dminches

« Reply #35 on: 19 Jul 2018, 03:07 pm »
Chassis are coming out of paint today. First two plates are on the way to silkscreen, along with chassis. Remainder of face plates are headed to the metal finisher. Moving along NICELY!!!

Pictures!!!!

modwright

« Reply #36 on: 19 Jul 2018, 03:23 pm »
Early next week! Chassis coming out of paint today and off to silk screener today. Ideally will have all back to assemble for photos by Monday or Tues.

Thanks,

Dan

jtsnead

« Reply #37 on: 26 Jul 2018, 04:42 pm »
Dan, does the 9.0 have a subsonic filter? The tube based one I am using now does allow for more woofer pumping
that is concerning me. I have eliminated much of it with isolation items but it still is noticeable.

modwright

« Reply #38 on: 26 Jul 2018, 06:42 pm »
No it does not. However, the power supply is tightly regulated, so the only reason for this should be mechanical feedback, unless the tube phono you are using now does not have good power supply regulation.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #39 on: 28 Jul 2018, 12:20 am »
Photos as promised!