Quick Product Poll! Tube Buffer with Volume Control?

stefanperrey

Re: Quick Product Poll! Tube Buffer with Volume Control?
« Reply #220 on: 26 Dec 2021, 11:49 pm »
Hi Dan
I am very interested as well.
Do you have an eta for this project?
Stefan

modwright

« Reply #221 on: 28 Dec 2021, 03:36 am »
HI Stefan and all of you that have been patiently following this thread. I am well into the design at this point and hope to have it out by the end of Q1 this year.

Thanks and Happy New Year Everyone!

SlushPuppy

« Reply #222 on: 28 Dec 2021, 04:00 am »
HI Stefan and all of you that have been patiently following this thread. I am well into the design at this point and hope to have it out by the end of Q1 this year.

Thanks and Happy New Year Everyone!

:thumb:

johnkenyon

« Reply #223 on: 20 Mar 2022, 02:26 am »
Very interested to mate this up with Wyred4Sound Class D mono units - I miss a little tube distortion:)

modwright

« Reply #224 on: 1 Jul 2022, 10:36 pm »
OK guys, much overdue update on the Analog Bridge product!

MSRP is estimated to be < $3K. ($1K add for fully balanced inputs and outputs via Lundahl signal transformer coupling).

Note: These proto chassis are bare steel and oxidize quickly. Finishe products will have black powdercoat chassis and cover and face plates will be either silver or black. Toggles will be silver.

First of all, I have a prototype built and working. I am adjusting this and that and listening. I can say that it works VERY well and sounds fantastic! THD < .005%, Noise below -105dB and BW flat to nearly 200Khz.

These are the functions and decisions made about the final design:

Front display will have four toggles (not buttons): Power, Mute -  Input Select, Tube select.

There are two RCA inputs and two RCA outputs. XLR add cost option will add a single pair of XLR inputs and outputs and a rear toggle to switch between XLR and RCA use.

No remote control.
No volume control.
No bypass.

No PICs, processors or other noisy digital processors with high frequency clocks to add noise. Pure analog logic controls.
Tube rectified: Can use any 5AR4 and compatible tube such as: 5U4G/GB, 5R4GY, 274B...
Driver tubes - selectable on-the-fly: 6922 or 6SN7 (CV181 and compatible).

So, the beauty of all of this is that you have A LOT of ways to 'tune' the system. Rolling rectifier tubes makes a big difference. 6922 and 6SN7 tube families have very different sonic profiles. Plus, rolling different 6922's or 6SN7's will further change the sound to your taste.

Because the distortion figures are so low, you ARE getting tube sound, but not because of large amounts of 'warm' tube distortion.
There is similarly no loss in bandwidth, with frequency response flat to nearly 200Khz.
Lastly, the output impedance is ridiculously low at about 20 ohms. It will thus drive any amplifier.

I am calling it the 'Analog Bridge' because that is what it is. As counterpart to  a 'Digital Bridge' which interface dgiital data between server and DAC, the analog bridge interfaces in the following configurations:

Between Digital source and amp (assuming source has volume control).
Between Digital source and preamp.
Between any source and integrated amp or preamp.
Between preamp and amp
(if all SS system, this will add tube character to the sytem and provide ideal impedance matching to any amp).
Between passive pre or passive attenuator and amp (here most critically allowing for the most ideal impedance matching between attenuator and amp).

The analog bridge is a system Accesssory. As such, it does not replace your preamp, although if your source has a volume control, it could take the place of a preamp. It can be added to any system to improve soundstage and 3-D imaging by bringing the character that only tubes provide, without adding the normal distortion and bandwidth limitations commonly attributed to tube products.

The chasssis dimensions are: 10"W x 13"D x 3"H. Tubes are exposed, which makes actual height taller, depending on tubes used.

I have also made provisions for an internal regulated DC voltage regulator to provide a clean LPS (linear power supply) voltage to power an outboard DAC that relies on a wall wart or outboard DC supply of poor quality. I have not priced this option yet, but it will not be very expensive. I have to work out which DACs it could serve and how to handle the DC cable from the Bridge to the DAC as well as the specific connectors needed at the input of the different DACs. I expect a simple umbilical with a universal connector on the end that will accept adaptors to suit different connectors.

Currently this circuit is part of the power supply PCB. I may make it a socketed upgrade so the module can be user installed with a user installable cable to connector and cable.

So there you have it, Progress!

I welcome any and all comments and input/feedback.

If you are interested in being on the list to contact when in production, please let me know!

Thanks,

Dan W.

The Rang

« Reply #225 on: 2 Jul 2022, 03:47 am »
I think I’m already on the list, I received Kristin’s email about these new details recently, but if not I’d like to be added.
If wanting to add tubes to my system, to be used with the KWI 200, am I better to go with the KWI 225 instead of the KWI-200/Analog Bridge combo?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #226 on: 2 Jul 2022, 01:40 pm »
Dan,

By any chance, will you have a working model at Pacific Audio Fest at the end of this month? What other goodies do you plan to have there?

Michael

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #227 on: 2 Jul 2022, 04:23 pm »
$3000 for something you probably don’t need? Uhh, no thanks.

modwright

« Reply #228 on: 2 Jul 2022, 09:34 pm »
I will have a working model at PAF, yes.

The Rang

« Reply #229 on: 3 Jul 2022, 01:51 am »
A working model at PAF…… and i can’t make it down from Vancouver BC that weekend, sigh.
There are so many things I want to see/hear and people to meet.
Missing it will be torture.

yoder

« Reply #230 on: 15 Jul 2022, 02:33 am »
Hi Dan,

So with 6SN7's would this sound similar to an LS100 with no volume control?

Thanks!
Dave

modwright

« Reply #231 on: 15 Jul 2022, 02:19 pm »
It is a very different circuit, but yes, the sound will be very similar and the measurements even better!

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #232 on: 25 Jul 2022, 06:03 pm »
I wanted to give an explanation for the price increase over that which was indicated in 2019 when I first started this thread.

I had said that I was shooting for a price point of < $1K. It was also intended to be a direct-sale model only, but I have decided to offer it through dealers. The MSRP is now to be < $3K.

I first started thinking about this in 2019 and it was intended to fill the space left when Oppo closed their doors and they were hard to get.

The thought was to have a tube mod that was external and could be used with any digital product. My goal was for it to be simple and inexpensive. The first proto I built was simple and the cost appeared like it would be low. I was also going to sell it only direct. This proto used a hammond transformer, extruded AL project box, a simple supply and a single pari of 6922's that were inexpensive at the time.

It is now 2022, EVERYTHING has increased in cost. I have decided that it will be available to dealers also. I decided to add tube rectification and the ability to use two families of tubes. Tubes have skyrocketed in price. When I added up the Bill of Materials at todays pricing, I realized that the cost would have to be about $3K. The balanced option requires the use of four Lundahl Swedish transformers which are very expensive.

All of our products increased in price at the start of this year by 15%-30% because of all increased costs. The fact that dealers are to be included in the sale of this product also, means it is higher priced yet.

If I was a direct-sale only business model, I would price it lower and it would not be an issue. The conflict has always been that our mods are sold direct and our own products through dealers. Having said that, our Oppo 205 mod was $2500 direct and with upgrade options, easily exceeded $3K.

At the end of the day, I have to make a profit or go out of business. I designed this product with cost in mind, but also intending to offer the best possible performance and value as possible. The enclosure was kept simple, like the PH 9.0/9.0X phono stages. In that product I was able to spend the majority of the budget on quality parts and design.

It was not my intent to mislead anyone and I understand that some will find that this product does not suit their budget.

In the end, I wanted to make a great product!

Sincerely,

Dan Wright
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2022, 09:24 pm by modwright »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #233 on: 25 Jul 2022, 06:29 pm »
I wanted to give an explanation for the price increase over that which was indicated in 2019 when I first started this thread.

I had said that I was shooting for a price point of < $1K. It was also intended to be a direct-sale model only, but I have decided to offer it through dealers. The MSRP is now to be < $3K.

I first started thinking about this in 2019 and it was intended to fill the space left when Oppo closed their doors and they were hard to get.

The thought was to have a tube mod that was external and could be used with any digital product. My goal was for it to be simple and inexpensive. The first proto I built was simple and the cost appeared like it would be low. I was also going to sell it only direct. This proto used a hammond transformer, extruded AL project box, a simple supply and a single pari of 6922's that were cheap.

It is now 2022, EVERYTHING has increased in cost. I have decided that it will be available to dealers also. I decided to add tube rectification and the ability to use two families of tubes. Tubes have skyrocketed in price. When I added up the Bill of Materials at todays pricing, I realized that the cost would have to be about $3K. The balanced option requires the use of four Lundahl Swedish transformers which are very expensive.

All of our products increased in price at the start of this year by 15%-30% because of all increased costs. The fact that dealers are to be included in the sale of this product also, means it is higher priced yet.

If I was a direct-sale only business model, I would price it lower and it would not be an issue. The conflict has always been that our mods are sold direct and our own products through dealers. Having said that, our Oppo 205 mod was $2500 direct and with upgrade options, easily exceeded $3K.

At the end of the day, I have to make a profit or go out of business. I designed this product as cheaply inexpensive as possible, whilst still achieving the desired design goals.

It was not my intent to mislead anyone and I understand that many will not be interested at this price.

Sincerely,

Dan Wright

You do good work, Dan.  Now it's fixed.   ;)

modwright

« Reply #234 on: 25 Jul 2022, 06:31 pm »
Thanks!

GregC

« Reply #235 on: 25 Jul 2022, 08:54 pm »
Hi Dan,

You offer the best quality product you can at a price point that allows you stay in business.  I have no doubts it will perform admirably. 

In your final design you were not able to do HT pass through?   

Greg

modwright

« Reply #236 on: 25 Jul 2022, 09:25 pm »
I did not include a HT bypass in the final design.

I amy consider this however, for the final production, as I am thinking that it might be nice to be able to bypass the buffer directly, for a number of reasons.

Thanks,

Dan

The Rang

« Reply #237 on: 5 Aug 2022, 03:13 am »
Curious, how was the interest and response to the Analog Bridge at the Pacific Audio Fest last weekend.

modwright

« Reply #238 on: 6 Aug 2022, 08:55 pm »
It was very well received and we had great sound overall. I was able to A/B the system with and without the Analog Bridge, fed from a Mytek Liberty DAC. It showed itself well!

Great show coverage from Jason Victor Serinus.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/modwright-debuts-its-analog-bridge

modwright

« Reply #239 on: 5 Feb 2023, 08:29 pm »
OK guys, I know that I have not been posting much here lately and for that I apologize. This thread was started a LONG time ago and the birthing process for this product has been epic. It has evolved from the first inklings I had about this design, pre pandemic. I took all of the input from those who took time to reply and the result is finally a reality.

I realize that at a $2900 starting price, it is more expensive than the original concept. I would also ask you all to consider the time that has passed, the effects of inflation and the fact that the final design is much more sophisitacated and higher performance than the initial prototype.

We have finished the first production run and I have feedback from our first Beta customers and dealers. Dealers  have told me with confidence that it IS a product that they can sell! Following is some of the first feedback we have received and I will post more as it comes.

If you are interested, we still have a few units left from the first production run, and the next production run is under way.

Equipment: Lumim T2 dac / streamer or Anthem avm 60. To Analog Bridge. Innersound DPR-500.

I have tried a few different rectifiers. Every time i get a better rectifier, the level of everything as a whole is brought up, clarity, detail, space, imaging, depths, separation, and weight.

The Analog Bridge has improved everything. From the bass clarity improvement to the richness of vocals and the taming of harsh digital treble, its all there.

I mainly listen to hip hop, R&B and lots of various electronic music. I tested it with lots of tv and movies as well. All performances improved. It really doesn't matter what it plays. It just works on whatever you feed it. – Dana – 2.2023

Equipment: Sonnet Hermes DSD >I2S connection > Sonnet Morpheus DAC > Balanced XLRs to ModWright Buffer > Balanced XLRs to Cary Audio 200.2ES SS Amplifier > KEF R3 speakers.

I find the buffer enjoyable and to add a tube dimension that is appealing.

I feel as though the MW analog bridge has added a level of musical note decay that I find appealing. It does not seem to have reduced the dynamic range of my system or compressed it in any way.

I listen to several different genres of music - primarily softer rock, jazz, and some blue grass. I find vocals to be expressive and emotional with the unit (like most good tube gear). So has it improved my overall system...

I think for anyone looking to add some of the instrument separation/space, emotional uplift, and enhanced note decay - this unit is a good choice. It also gives a lot of flexibility to the listener to switch between systems and to switch sound character. – J. Kenyon, 2.2023