Bryston SP4

gbaby

Re: Bryston SP4
« Reply #20 on: 7 Mar 2018, 01:57 pm »
The leap from PCM to MQA is substantial.

The leap from "surround sound" to "immersive sound" is staggering.

I think the SP4 is going to stun the current SP3 users, even without MQA.

Witchdoctor, you write as if many of of have never heard ATMOS. I for one have heard it and I was unimpressed. The fact the Bryston partnered with another company to get the latest surround codecs is not a big deal.  :roll: As for MQA, please. :roll:

gbaby

« Reply #21 on: 7 Mar 2018, 01:58 pm »
Error.

witchdoctor

« Reply #22 on: 7 Mar 2018, 04:04 pm »
Witchdoctor, you write as if many of of have never heard ATMOS. I for one have heard it and I was unimpressed. The fact the Bryston partnered with another company to get the latest surround codecs is not a big deal.  :roll: As for MQA, please. :roll:
Did you hear it with a $299 receiver? Were you using cheesy upfiring speakers?

If you use an SP4 with the Bryston TOW speakers (or another brand if it suits you, but this is a Bryston thread) in an Auro 3D setup using the Auromatic upmixer on 2 channel mixes you will be blown away. With an SP4 you get a remote control. Push a button for 2 channel, another button for surround, and another button for Atmos, DTS-X or Auro 3D. This is how the future of audio is now. If you want to sit back with 2 channel your tube amp you get no argument from me.

If you already have a surround system you just need to add either 2,4 or 5 height channels.

gbaby

« Reply #23 on: 7 Mar 2018, 07:21 pm »
Did you hear it with a $299 receiver? Were you using cheesy upfiring speakers?

If you use an SP4 with the Bryston TOW speakers (or another brand if it suits you, but this is a Bryston thread) in an Auro 3D setup using the Auromatic upmixer on 2 channel mixes you will be blown away. With an SP4 you get a remote control. Push a button for 2 channel, another button for surround, and another button for Atmos, DTS-X or Auro 3D. This is how the future of audio is now. If you want to sit back with 2 channel your tube amp you get no argument from me.

If you already have a surround system you just need to add either 2,4 or 5 height channels.

I guess you are trying to be funny, however, I am not amused.  :roll:

witchdoctor

« Reply #24 on: 7 Mar 2018, 10:30 pm »
I guess you are trying to be funny, however, I am not amused.  :roll:

When you get your SP4 you still won't be "amused", you will be thrilled. Just make sure to use an Auro 3D speaker layout, Atmos isn't so hot with music as it was designed for movies. The auromatic upmixer works on all content.

gbaby

« Reply #25 on: 8 Mar 2018, 12:49 am »
When you get your SP4 you still won't be "amused", you will be thrilled. Just make sure to use an Auro 3D speaker layout, Atmos isn't so hot with music as it was designed for movies. The auromatic upmixer works on all content.

I have zero interest in an SP4 or any of the object based codec. My interest in the SP3 was more for music with movies being incidental. I am mature enough to be satisfied with 7.1. I have no interest in ceiling speakers. I am not a movie nut.

gdbalp

« Reply #26 on: 10 Mar 2018, 10:28 pm »
James,

With this new SP4, the overall depth of this unit is 19.25 inches.

This depth dimension is larger than most of the current Bryston amplifiers, except the 28B.

I am not sure about standards with A/V rack dimensions, but this will be a problem for my A/V rack - built-in cabinet, not to mention the wiring connections at the back that need additional space.

And the question is if there could be a reduction in this overall depth dimension by say 2-4" inches that would be similar to the current SP3.

Luigi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #27 on: 10 Mar 2018, 11:04 pm »
James,

With this new SP4, the overall depth of this unit is 19.25 inches.

This depth dimension is larger than most of the current Bryston amplifiers, except the 28B.

I am not sure about standards with A/V rack dimensions, but this will be a problem for my A/V rack - built-in cabinet, not to mention the wiring connections at the back that need additional space.

And the question is if there could be a reduction in this overall depth dimension by say 2-4" inches that would be similar to the current SP3.

Luigi

Hi Luigi

No I am sorry it can not be smaller as we need the depth because we are using a 3U chassis size whereas the StormAudio unit is a 4U.

james

gdbalp

« Reply #28 on: 11 Mar 2018, 06:25 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks for the response.

And I would not have an issue with the 4U vs. 3U height if the depth would be reduced... :green: :green: :green:

Luigi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 11 Mar 2018, 06:44 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks for the response.

And I would not have an issue with the 4U vs. 3U height if the depth would be reduced... :green: :green: :green:

Luigi

Hi

We looked but there is only so much internal real-estate available so other than leaving room for specialized Bryston modules I am at the end of the racetrack.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #30 on: 12 Mar 2018, 04:29 pm »
So if you are changing the dimensions doesn't that leave you exposed to not actually being able to bring to the platform all future hardware updates Storm may bring out because either 1) it won't physically fit into your altered layout or 2) could be a done but at a redesign cost for each new hardware addition making the Bryston a more pricey option with no performance gain?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 12 Mar 2018, 04:48 pm »
So if you are changing the dimensions doesn't that leave you exposed to not actually being able to bring to the platform all future hardware updates Storm may bring out because either 1) it won't physically fit into your altered layout or 2) could be a done but at a redesign cost for each new hardware addition making the Bryston a more pricey option with no performance gain?

Hi

If we stick to 16 channels or 20 Channels then we are fine - if we want to expand to 32 channels or 40 then we would have to go up a rack space.  But given our customer I do not see that as something we would do.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #32 on: 8 Apr 2018, 01:35 am »
So for those of us with a high res digital file library (96/24 or higher) is the only way to get that into this going to be HDMI? I see there is RCA and optical S/PDIF connections but aren't they resolution limited? If that's the case this seems like one major oversight on a modern unit to not offer USB and/or AES digital inputs for music. I see the unit certainly has USB inputs but it seems that's just for the mic and software updates.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 8 Apr 2018, 10:06 am »
So for those of us with a high res digital file library (96/24 or higher) is the only way to get that into this going to be HDMI? I see there is RCA and optical S/PDIF connections but aren't they resolution limited? If that's the case this seems like one major oversight on a modern unit to not offer USB and/or AES digital inputs for music. I see the unit certainly has USB inputs but it seems that's just for the mic and software updates.

HI

We plan on adding our own DAC stage (its a modular design) AES and USB etc. going forward.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #34 on: 8 Apr 2018, 12:40 pm »
Ah very nice! Will the USB support multi-channel or just stereo? I believe AES is typically just stereo isn't it?

The Storm SSP is unfortunately not alone in the omission of AES and USB inputs for audio, even the newly released Trinnov Altitude16 omits the AES inputs that are found on the big brother Altitude32 platform but even the 32 to my knowledge doesn't utilize the USB inputs for audio.The Datasat LS10 does appear to be the exception, it has a USB input, it's big brother the RS20i does't have either USB audio or AES inputs.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 8 Apr 2018, 01:25 pm »
Ah very nice! Will the USB support multi-channel or just stereo? I believe AES is typically just stereo isn't it?

The Storm SSP is unfortunately not alone in the omission of AES and USB inputs for audio, even the newly released Trinnov Altitude16 omits the AES inputs that are found on the big brother Altitude32 platform but even the 32 to my knowledge doesn't utilize the USB inputs for audio.The Datasat LS10 does appear to be the exception, it has a USB input, it's big brother the RS20i does't have either USB audio or AES inputs.

Hi

Just Stereo at first.  I think companies like StormAudio and DataSat and Trinnov are geared more towards the home theater market and a feature oriented approach so their products tend to reflect what the custom install surround market really wants as opposed to the stereo audiophile.

The opportunity I saw with StormAudio is that it would allow us to develop our own Bryston circuits going forward and make them available to the customer than wants to push the state of the art sonic envelope.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #36 on: 8 Apr 2018, 01:28 pm »
Thanks James  that makes sense.

So what's the roll out time line like, I assume it'll be this year for the initial release of the SP4 with just the Storm Audio feature set but when should we expect to see the Bryston additions make it into the platform like this module you are talking about, perhaps not until next year?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 8 Apr 2018, 01:39 pm »
Thanks James  that makes sense.

So what's the roll out time line like, I assume it'll be this year for the initial release of the SP4 with just the Storm Audio feature set but when should we expect to see the Bryston additions make it into the platform like this module you are talking about, perhaps not until next year?

Hi

I would say at least a year but I am going to offer the updates free to anyone that purchased an SP4 in the next year.

james

gbaby

« Reply #38 on: 10 Apr 2018, 02:37 am »

The SP3 is the last surround processor that is fully balanced with an analog stage rivaling stand alone 2 channel pre-amps catering to music. When you start dealing with object based technology you want to be dazzled by sound in movies. However, I have yet to experience object base in real life.

Rod_S

« Reply #39 on: 18 Apr 2018, 12:03 pm »
So how will one control this thing? I don't see any pics or mention of a normal remote. Is this one of those SSP's like I recently found out about the Trinnov that can't be properly or completely controlled with a conventional handheld remote or a learning remote such as a Harmony and that one needs something like a Control4, Crestron, etc. or iOS/Android device? If so that's going to really suck.