Loving the new BDP-3!

GSDaudio

Re: Loving the new BDP-3!
« Reply #200 on: 25 Sep 2021, 10:33 am »
I didn't know that "Random" always plays the same songs in a row?

My guess is that it could be corrected easily within the software.

Computers cannot create random numbers they need algorithms to simulate it.   MPD version in Bryston seems to select the next artist in the list and selects the first song in the album.  Then it goes to the next artist and selects the first song.   Then after a set number of songs it loops back to the second song of the artist.   This is a very general description and may be off a bit (please chime in). Like I said I'm working so I don't map it out.   I use the "consume" function because I hear the same songs over and over again before I get far done the list....so I'm sure its more complicated.   Also if I have a 1500 list of songs (80s playlist) it helps to have the starting song further down the list to create some more randomness.   I read an article about this and it is well known in the industry...apparently Apple software is the best in creating simulated randomness...and Qobuz is best in streaming world...of course this will change over time.   Ironically,  randomness is not the goal...selecting genres; pairing genres, selecting artists, popular songs etc and intermixing them in a way a radio program manager would is the goal.

Isn't this a fun hobby!

gbaby

« Reply #201 on: 29 Sep 2021, 03:05 pm »

Isn't this a fun hobby!
Yes sir! 8)

Vulpes

« Reply #202 on: 1 Oct 2021, 09:15 am »
I have the same issue: Long playlists and always hearing the same order of tracks.
I am sure that it is not difficult to implement a much better pseudo-random ordering of playing the tracks. There are a lot of algorithms that generate random numbers that are adequate enough for this purpose.
Is this something that is worked on or must I create a Change Request for this?

dallyd31

« Reply #203 on: 13 Oct 2021, 04:03 pm »
On a bit of a different topic, are there any plans to update the BDP3 in the near future or even a new player all together ( BDP 4 ???)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #204 on: 13 Oct 2021, 05:56 pm »
On a bit of a different topic, are there any plans to update the BDP3 in the near future or even a new player all together ( BDP 4 ???)

Hi - no plans on that front.

james

clpetersen

« Reply #205 on: 9 Nov 2021, 03:48 pm »
Hello James - elsewhere on this forum (in the BR-20 thread) you thought the BDP-3 could become a Roon server - any updates on that front? Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #206 on: 9 Nov 2021, 06:18 pm »
Hello James - elsewhere on this forum (in the BR-20 thread) you thought the BDP-3 could become a Roon server - any updates on that front? Thanks!

It is capable of being a service but ROON apparently does not want companies offering this feature.

james

clpetersen

« Reply #207 on: 10 Nov 2021, 03:13 pm »
Too bad. Would be nice, but I can see Roon's point.

jazz4u2

« Reply #208 on: 27 Nov 2021, 09:26 pm »
I currently have a BDP-2 with IAD upgrade.  Thinking of stepping up to a BDP-3, for faster response, more connections, higher memory capacity, faster DB update time, etc.   My BDP-2 has rather slow shutdown time (about 1 minute) and startup time (about 1 minute).  Is this about the same for BDP-3? 

jazz4u2

« Reply #209 on: 27 Nov 2021, 09:36 pm »
James, is there any plans to offer native support for Amazon Music HD for the BDP?  I've read in other places that Amazon doesn't license its API.  Wondering whether that may be the issue in regard to BDP support.  I'm currently using a FireStick plugged into HDMI audio extractor to send SPDIF to my DAC and using my TV as GUI, to listen to Amazon Music.  Wishing I could use the BDP!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #210 on: 27 Nov 2021, 10:51 pm »
James, is there any plans to offer native support for Amazon Music HD for the BDP?  I've read in other places that Amazon doesn't license its API.  Wondering whether that may be the issue in regard to BDP support.  I'm currently using a FireStick plugged into HDMI audio extractor to send SPDIF to my DAC and using my TV as GUI, to listen to Amazon Music.  Wishing I could use the BDP!

Hi - not sure as it will depend on what Amazon allows - re API access.

james

zenwangfr8train

« Reply #211 on: 4 Dec 2021, 06:39 pm »
any native support for Amazon Music HD for the BDP?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #212 on: 4 Dec 2021, 07:58 pm »
Not at this point other than using an IPAD or IPhone.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #213 on: 5 Dec 2021, 06:18 am »
If Bluesound can do it I am sure there is an API that allows...

steveoat

« Reply #214 on: 14 Apr 2022, 05:24 pm »
"If Bluesound can do it I am sure there is an API that allows....  "

Auralic also allows for amazon music.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #215 on: 9 May 2022, 03:28 pm »
I currently have a BDP-2 with IAD upgrade.  Thinking of stepping up to a BDP-3, for faster response, more connections, higher memory capacity, faster DB update time, etc.   My BDP-2 has rather slow shutdown time (about 1 minute) and startup time (about 1 minute).  Is this about the same for BDP-3?

I would like to know about this too.  I heard that bootup wasn't any faster but other DB operations may be.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #216 on: 10 May 2022, 03:14 pm »
I am surprised Bryston isn't answering these questions.  This is a great opportunity for the marketing folks to jump in and drum up some excitement.

:drums:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #217 on: 10 May 2022, 10:42 pm »
These are Chris Rice questions - please email him - crice@bryston.com

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #218 on: 11 May 2022, 09:56 pm »
I am surprised Bryston isn't answering these questions.  This is a great opportunity for the marketing folks to jump in and drum up some excitement.

:drums:

Sorry been pretty busy trying to keep the production going as smoothly as possible and dealing with part shortages.

I can not stress how much we would love to add Amazon Music HD and Apple Music support to our product line, its absolutely one of the top features we'd like to add but there's basically a lack/vacuum of man power. 

1. We have yet to get ahold of the right people at either company to get access to either API
2. Even if we did have access, well we also short on man power to develop the feature at this time

I know not the news you all wanted to hear and not really the news I wanted to give.

Sorry,
Chris

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #219 on: 15 May 2022, 02:05 am »
Hi Chris,

I was hoping you could comment on any performance benefits that the BDP-3 might have over the BDP-2 as jazz4u2 was getting at:  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151013.msg1884568#msg1884568

Re Amazon Music, I understand that an API is required and remain hopeful that good things will come with time.

Re Apple, I am not expecting anyone but Apple to do Apple  :|

Thanks,
Stefan
« Last Edit: 16 May 2022, 03:46 am by Stefan_DR3 »