BDA-3 DAC

Calypte

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #1420 on: 4 Mar 2022, 06:28 am »
@Calypte

You are right with the reproducibility of the issue. The drop outs are not playtime specific, they are random but predictable when listening to some 48K-24 files. Interesting enough, I also noticed that some newer files seems to exhibit the issue more than old ones. After my last debugging session, I sat for a few hours listening to Red Book files ripped ages ago. After a while, the drop outs appeared again and the BDA 3.14 needed a reset to get out of a stalled mode. Not sure how the other units out there are performing but mine seems unstable. All is fine when I use a BDP-1 for digital files playback.

I think Chris opened a ticket at Bryston and I am still waiting to get contacted. At this point, there’s not much I can do as tech support is required.

Daniel

I've had nothing that has stalled the BDP-pi or required a reset.  However, based upon your experience, I would hesitate to "upgrade" to the BDP-3.14.  The BDP-pi has done everything I've wanted.  Well, if there were a way to rip and play multi-channel SACDs in their full glory, I'd be interested.

gbaby

« Reply #1421 on: 4 Mar 2022, 02:38 pm »
Hi Folks – given the state of the world this seems rather trivial but a review on the now 6 year old Bryston BDA-3 DAC – up for DAC of the Year 2022.

James Tanner

Nice!

barts

« Reply #1422 on: 5 Mar 2022, 04:46 pm »
Hello to everyone,  I currently have a BDA-3.14 which I am enjoying very much.  Sometime soon I'm going to get a new BDA-3
and also I'm considering purchasing a Roon Nucleus+ with a large SSD to burn most of my CDs to.  Has anyone had experience
with the BDA-3 and Roon Nucleus+ combination.  I am new to AudioCircle, so any comments are much appreciated.
Regards,
barts

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #1423 on: 5 Mar 2022, 05:31 pm »
I currently have a BDA-3.14 which I am enjoying very much.  Sometime soon I'm going to get a new BDA-3 and also I'm considering purchasing a Roon Nucleus+ with a large SSD to burn most of my CDs to.  Has anyone had experience with the BDA-3 and Roon Nucleus+ combination.

The BDA-3 (non .14) will accept audio from the USB output on the Roon Nucleus+, which should work fine. Your existing BDA-3.14 can be used over the network as a Roon Ready endpoint.

Nitsuave

« Reply #1424 on: 9 Mar 2022, 03:06 am »
I have upgraded from BDA-1/BDP-1 last fall to a BDA 3.14. Needless to say that the sound is more than superb.

I am having some random drop outs issue when playing files from USB hard drive or thumb drive. In the course of an album, the drop outs will happen on mostly each track. The issue seems to be from files that are of 48K-24 bits or higher rate. When the same albums are played from my BDP-1 through the BDA 3.14 DAC SPDIF input, I have no drop out issue. I am not using any third party apps as my only goal is to play files directly from a connected HD using one of the USB ports.

Does anyone having the same issue?

I have tried to contact Bryston twice (email and phone) but didn’t get any feedback from them. James & Chris, what is the best way to have this problemeatic assessed and look at by someone from Bryston?

Cheers,

Daniel

Even though my 3.14 is hard wired, I had a similar problem but only when streaming hi-res flac from my NAS. Normal 16/44 files stream without issue.

I tried different ethernet cables and switches but the problem remained.

Upgraded my NAS to a Melco Storage/Streamer thinking it might be the NAS causing the problem but the problem reappeared with the new NAS.

Next I tried the streamer portion of the Melco which sends the signal via USB into the 3.14 and the problem disappeared.  I can now stream any of my local files as well as Tidal without any hiccups.

gbaby

« Reply #1425 on: 9 Mar 2022, 06:34 pm »
Hello to everyone,  I currently have a BDA-3.14 which I am enjoying very much.  Sometime soon I'm going to get a new BDA-3
and also I'm considering purchasing a Roon Nucleus+ with a large SSD to burn most of my CDs to.  Has anyone had experience
with the BDA-3 and Roon Nucleus+ combination.  I am new to AudioCircle, so any comments are much appreciated.
Regards,
barts

I am curious as to why you would need a Roon Nucleus to burn CDs? Its seems to cost more than the BDA-3.14. I use dbPoweramp to burn CDs to my BDP-3 on a USB drive and the app is inexpensive and great Does the BDA-3.14 have USB inputs?

christo

« Reply #1426 on: 12 Apr 2022, 04:04 am »
Apologies in advance if the following is a really dumb question.

I have the BDA-3.14 and am really impressed by the DAC part - fantastic upgrade to my system - but the Raspberry Pi section is less than stellar, especially since the last firmware update. Sorry.

I also get drop outs when playing files from a USB stick. I can get them playing again but I have to restart the BDA-3.14 and wait for the Raspberry Pi to reboot. It's a real hassle. (Perhaps some kind of notification/graphical representation somewhere showing the progress of the Pi reboot might be helpful).

I am now playing my music files through the BDA via my Universal Disc Player. The sound quality isn't quite as good as through the BDA-3 pi section but it always works. It's solid.

Selecting inputs remotely (on my tablet) via the Pi is a real drag too. It doesn't always work and I have to keep turning the BDA-3.14 off and on again until it does work.

Am I doing something wrong?

Would it be possible to plug both the Ethernet ports in so I can use the SVC ethernet port to change external inputs remotely, bypassing the Pi section? Perhaps we could have the option to use the Pi on the occasions that I might want to fire it up. (ie. without having to plug and unplug the two ethernet ports all the time).

I just tried doing that via the two ethernet ports on my Wifi mesh pod and blacklisting the BDA-Pi in the mesh app, but the SVC section won't open. I get the menu bar but nothing else.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2022, 08:00 am by christo »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1427 on: 12 Apr 2022, 11:38 am »
Hi Christo

Please send this to Adam - atanner@bryston.com

james

Norco74

« Reply #1428 on: 12 Apr 2022, 11:48 am »
@christo
Thank for your account on using the 3.14 which is describing my experience with the unit.

A ticket was opened at Bryston on Feb 27 2022 about these drop outs. Not much has happened since then. I have not been contacted by them nor that they communicated they are aware of the mentioned issues and the recent f/w version didn’t solve the issue. I am not sure how Bryston is staffed nowaday but customer service wise this is very disappointing. Nothing indicates that efforts will be made to inquire and solve the reported issue. I am now considering my options to let go the 3.14.

christo

« Reply #1429 on: 12 Apr 2022, 12:54 pm »
Please send this to Adam - atanner@bryston.com

I've already raised another issue with him (I've lost access to mybryston.com). Once he deals with that issue, I'll mention the other chronic problems per Norco74's post.

I'm sure he's aware of them and I'm sure he's a fine engineer. It's a great DAC! It just seems like he needs some extra help with the Pi Streamer and MyBryston part - the software.

As Norco74 says, you also need someone to talk to us, the customers, and effectively triage the issues for him.

UPDATE: I deleted all my data from my tablet's Chrome (not just the cache) and that restored my access to mybryston.com
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2022, 02:37 pm by christo »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1430 on: 12 Apr 2022, 02:38 pm »
Thanks - good news.

james

steveoat

« Reply #1431 on: 14 Apr 2022, 05:22 pm »
Any plans to update the BDA-3 DAC.  As you said, it is over 6 years old.  Any plans?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1432 on: 14 Apr 2022, 07:16 pm »
Any plans to update the BDA-3 DAC.  As you said, it is over 6 years old.  Any plans?

Nothing at the moment Steve - in fact our 6 year old DAC just won a 2022 DAC of the Year award!

james

Calypte

« Reply #1433 on: 15 Apr 2022, 05:55 am »
Is the Pi portion of the 3.14 identical/similar/unrelated to the old BDP-pi digital player/streamer?  Other than having a DAC in the same chassis, does the 3.14 do anything that the BDP-pi didn't?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1434 on: 15 Apr 2022, 06:38 pm »
Is the Pi portion of the 3.14 identical/similar/unrelated to the old BDP-pi digital player/streamer?  Other than having a DAC in the same chassis, does the 3.14 do anything that the BDP-pi didn't?

Hi Cal - Depending on the vintage the BDP-Pi - used the Pi 2 originally, followed by pi3, the difference being slightly faster CPU

james

Calypte

« Reply #1435 on: 16 Apr 2022, 02:35 am »
I have the BDP-pi, s/n 000151.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #1436 on: 21 Apr 2022, 08:18 pm »
The BDA-3.14 definitely has an issue playing hi-rez files! I’ve posted several times and communicated with Chris Rice on a few occasions but the problem persists!
I bought the unit to eliminate a separate pc as a server, now I’m starting to regret it!

Norco74

« Reply #1437 on: 22 Apr 2022, 02:08 am »
My HD is now connected to my old BDP-1 via USB. The BDP-1 is connected to one of the BDA 3.14 DAC inputs. No more random stuttering while playing hirez files. BDP-1 s/w rev 2.44 2021-06-21. I won’t upgrade to the latest 2.45 2022-03-28.

I also setup the BDP-1 as a NAS point to the BDA 3.14. Will use it as test bed for new s/w when they come out.

Still got no initial contact from Bryston customer support which raise my concerns about the severity of this dropouts issue.

Calypte

« Reply #1438 on: 22 Apr 2022, 07:25 am »
The BDA-3.14 definitely has an issue playing hi-rez files! I’ve posted several times and communicated with Chris Rice on a few occasions but the problem persists!
I bought the unit to eliminate a separate pc as a server, now I’m starting to regret it!

In this context, is "hi-rez" anything beyond 44/16, or are you talking about very high sampling rates?

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #1439 on: 22 Apr 2022, 04:37 pm »
I define hi-rez as anything over 16/44.1 for purposes of this discussion.