Transformers, power conditioners, and output impedance....

Carlsbad

So I bought a European Amplifier with 240V supply power requirement.  while it was shipping I installed a 240V outlet for it.  I know about the differences between US and European 240V power (not going to explain them here) and most European equipment other than induction motors will run fine on US power, certainly a simple power amp.  But my amp (Ayon Audio) is less simple and has a phase detector that senses the plug is wired backwards when running on US power...so I'm looking for other options.

I test ran it on a tiny (500W) transformer and confirmed it works.  However, it was severely current limited on such a small transformer.  I have a 5000 w transformer on the way.  Inexpensive transformer to play with.   I'm afraid it will be current limited for spikes (especially playing bass) on this transformer too.

Tube amps especially, but all amps in general, need a generous supply of ready power to handle bass notes.  The average power of this amp may be 375 watts but it needs availability of much more than that for short spikes.  I run all of my amps on 10ga power cords  I have a dedicated 10ga power line for my stereo.  Excellent results.

I'm concerned about the output impedance of the transformer.  Transformers are good for smoothing out noise spikes.  I don't want to smooth out the noise spikes, when my amp needs a current spike, I want to feed it.

So my question is this.  can a very large transformer avoid the output impedance problem?  I'm specifically looking at 15,000 watts and above, like this one: https://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/products/vt-15000-15000-watts-step-up-down-transformer

Or will a larger transformer just have a higher impedance and limit fast current changes even more? 

Other ideas are welcome too.  Power conditioners don't seem to be an option.  All manufacturers make European conditioners for Europe and US conditioners for US and making one that is fed by US and outputs Europe would be a one off custom and take an already super expensive component to unreasonably priced.

Jerry

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Transformers, power conditioners, and output impedance....
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2022, 05:05 am »
So I bought a European Amplifier with 240V supply power requirement.  while it was shipping I installed a 240V outlet for it.
If you have a 240V outlet for your 240V amp there is no prob  :thumb:

When a Step Up/Down Transformer are used the power availlable to the amp will be only the power the transformer are capable to delivery, example: 500W, no more the large power of the company transformer that serve your house.

Typically power company transformers on streets can be 100KVA minimum.
So I bought a European Amplifier with 240V supply power requirement.  while it was shipping I installed a 240V outlet for it.  I know about the differences between US and European 240V power (not going to explain them here) and most European equipment other than induction motors will run fine on US power, certainly a simple power amp.  But my amp (Ayon Audio) is less simple and has a phase detector that senses the plug is wired backwards when running on US power...so I'm looking for other options.

I test ran it on a tiny (500W) transformer and confirmed it works.  However, it was severely current limited on such a small transformer.  I have a 5000 w transformer on the way.  Inexpensive transformer to play with.   I'm afraid it will be current limited for spikes (especially playing bass) on this transformer too.

Tube amps especially, but all amps in general, need a generous supply of ready power to handle bass notes.  The average power of this amp may be 375 watts but it needs availability of much more than that for short spikes.  I run all of my amps on 10ga power cords  I have a dedicated 10ga power line for my stereo.  Excellent results.

I'm concerned about the output impedance of the transformer.  Transformers are good for smoothing out noise spikes.  I don't want to smooth out the noise spikes, when my amp needs a current spike, I want to feed it.

So my question is this.  can a very large transformer avoid the output impedance problem?  I'm specifically looking at 15,000 watts and above, like this one: https://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/products/vt-15000-15000-watts-step-up-down-transformer

Or will a larger transformer just have a higher impedance and limit fast current changes even more? 

Other ideas are welcome too.  Power conditioners don't seem to be an option.  All manufacturers make European conditioners for Europe and US conditioners for US and making one that is fed by US and outputs Europe would be a one off custom and take an already super expensive component to unreasonably priced.

Jerry
[/b]

GeorgeAb

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2022, 07:10 pm »
Your 5000W step up transformer is a solid solution. I suspect it is larger then the units internal transformer so I would not be too concerned with current limiting. A 5000W transformer will be able to provide more current than your 20A circuit breaker.

If it was me, I would look to modify the amps internal transformer to accept 120V. It is a cleaner solution in my opinion from stepping up AC voltage external to unit just to have it stepped down with another internal transformer. The DC rails of the power supply are going to be the same it is the internal xfmer that is set up to accept 240V vice 120V. Find a comparable xfr and replace with 120 taps. Also look internally as some transformers have taps for either 120 or 240 which if that is the case would just be a matter of swapping wires. The manufacture should be able to assist as likely they make both 120 and 240V amps and may be able to provide a part for the 120V transformer.

Carlsbad

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2022, 09:25 pm »
UPDATE.  Problem solved.

The amp came with a borderline tube that kept bringing in the bad tube light.  Took me a while to borrow a tube and replace it.  After the tube was replaced the amp runs fine on the 240V outlet I installed for it.  no transformer needed.

thanks,

Jerry