Signal Cable Shoutout

Cblan1224

Signal Cable Shoutout
« on: 20 Mar 2021, 09:19 pm »

I've been using signal cable for a while now. Their analog two HT interconnect comes highly regarded. I've had a few of those. For my hypex ncore based amp build, hypex recommends an rca to xlr cable be wired a certain way. I've had many discussions with Frank and he was easy to talk to about this. I sent him over the diagram and he made the necessary changes.

This time, I decided to go with a higher end interconnect for my front 3. Silver resolution its called. Also, I bought one of their power chords, which is fairly inexpensive. I didn't really want to spend more than $100 on a power chord, but as you can see in the picture, the chord that came with my amp case(ghent) is nothing to write home about! Everything I've gotten from these guys has been constructed very well. Feels like it will last you forever.

I asked him to use neutrik profi tips on the rca end and they have no problems with any requests like this, and are very reasonable with their pricing. I'm a big fan of the profi terminations. Once they click in, they feel as secure as anything. My preouts are extremely close together, and with as many wires as we can have in the back of our preamps sometimes, a tight connection is all we can ask for.
Maybe I didn't need to upgrade to the silver, and just like the way they look. Either way, I had an audible hiss when I put my ear to the tweeter(only up close) and now, the interconnects and/or the power chord fixed this. Completely, 100% inaudible, which I'll also pat hypex, and myself for amp construction, on the back for!

Now, I'm building another amp for my other 8 channels, and I've asked them for another power chord, and 8 more interconnects(not silver this time. Wish I could, but I've also had success with their best copper interconnect, the analog two, which is very reasonably priced, and I'm not made of money).
Their lead time is about 2 weeks. Even when they told me their lead time is 5 weeks for power cables, I've always gotten them in 2 weeks. They are based in New York, and have a variety of cables for different applications. I heard a lot about bluejean as well, but a forum member directed me toward these. Frank is very friendly, and it will probably be the last cable you ever need....unless you plan on upgrading to a pre/pro with xlr preouts in a year or so like I do! What I have is pretty much an xlr cable with an rca on one end. Pin 3 to rca shield. Maybe I can just reterminate these at that time.

Enough out of me, just wanted to give them a shoutout. This has really opened up my amplifier. I can't confirm this, but I do feel like that tiny power cable they gave me with the amp case was not giving the amp what it needed. Definitely a silent noise floor and improved dynamics.

jonbee

Re: Signal Cable Shoutout
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2021, 03:27 pm »
I've used the silver resolution speaker cables and ics off and on in several systems over the years. I find them to be very wide range, very transparent and fast, but with a bit of a lift to the very clean top end. For that reason system matching is important, but for the price they are marvelous, hard to beat even for much more $ if they have synergy with the system. Listening to ics in my office system as I write this and they are just beautiful.

Cblan1224

Re: Signal Cable Shoutout
« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2021, 03:56 pm »
I've used the silver resolution speaker cables and ics off and on in several systems over the years. I find them to be very wide range, very transparent and fast, but with a bit of a lift to the very clean top end. For that reason system matching is important, but for the price they are marvelous, hard to beat even for much more $ if they have synergy with the system. Listening to ics in my office system as I write this and they are just beautiful.
I was thinking of getting the speaker cables, and maybe will one day, but I have some decent, variable guage, 16TC cables for my LCRs that I made, and some decent 12awg, counter braided 2 conductor cables for everything else.

I went with silver ics for my front 3 and I was considering going with analog twos for my 8 surround/heights. Do you think thats a mistake? I think the surrounds and heights require much less synergy. I know it would probably be better, but I'm strapped for cash, as I've been laying out a lot for amp modules, cases, and doing crossover upgrades on my front 3.

The reason why I will go with analog 2s is because I believe I will be upgrading from a denon x4700 to a pre/pro with xlr inputs and processing for 13-15 channels within the next 2 years. Maybe anthems next AVM release in 2022 or '23. Something with a full hdmi 2.1 board hopefully.
Anyway, at that point, I'll be replacing all these with XLRs anyway, unless I chop the RCAs and solder the xlr terminal myself, which is possible too.
Anyway, I'm getting another 2 of those power chords. For $89 you just can't beat it.
Another thing I noticed since adding the power chord...my amp is running so much cooler. It is class D and barely warm to the touch right now after watching a 4k bluray for 2 hours. With the tiny power chord that ghent(the people who make the amp enclosure) gives you, this thing was extremely hot. I was looking into cooling solutions. Looks like the power chord is a cooling solution in itself! And I am drawing less voltage from the wall, so I'm thinking that I just removed a bottleneck.