BDP internetradio

Marius

BDP internetradio
« on: 29 Jul 2013, 07:50 am »
Hi James, Chris,

Please let me once again pose some questions on the bRadio (beta) functionality, is there any development on this? I find myself and others, especially in this summer season of international festivals and broadcasts, listening to live radio more than anything.

Before, I've asked to make it case insensitive, because now you have to know how the listing is spelled exactly before being able to find any station. Have you thought about that?
It won't find any of the BBC stations  :scratch:, this is a major amiss, BBC radio 3 is one of the world leading classical radio-stations.

In another thread i've asked about this bbcradio3 stream http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3_aaclca.pls . Please make the BDP support this!

Something technical:
yesterday I played the BBC 3 stream over my Na7004, that uses Vtuner on http://www.radiomarantz.com/setupapp/marantz/asp/BrowseStations/StartPage.asp?sMsg=PREMIUM. Into the BDA1/BHA1/HD800. Sound was a mixed bag. The live performance was very clear, but it had a second layer that reminded me of the sounds you hear in the background of a distant AM radioband. Apparently of format Wma 48k...

Next, i tried the Tunein app on my iPhone, which is stunning in user friendliness and even lets one record streams, and gets better in each update,  streamed it over airplay to my na7004, and the same setup as above. Much better technical sound quality already, but the radio sounded flatter, maybe even mono-ish. Don't know the format.

I then just clicked on the http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3_aaclca.pls, and my iphone streamed this to the same na7004 over airplay etc etc. A glorious evening henceforth was spent on a live Götterdämmerung from the BBCProms. Wonderful sound in 320kb AAC.

Other than format, would any technical issue be the reason of the changes in sound quality?

As I hope you can see, there is a real need for the BDP to support these audio streams, and, of course, airplay. The latter you've announced before. In a setup like that, the BDP only could do it all, while at the moment, i need 3 machines.

Please Bryston, take this Radio-functionality seriously, and give us a complete make-over on the interface and functionality. The BDP can do it, please put some extra effort on the software/interface.

Thanks!
Marius

Alpha10

Re: BDP internetradio
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2013, 08:23 am »

Please Bryston, take this Radio-functionality seriously, and give us a complete make-over on the interface and functionality. The BDP can do it, please put some extra effort on the software/interface.

HUGE +1 from me.

I absolutely love my BDP1 and understand it was never intended to be an internet radio. However, this is a very important application for many many people, I feel we are so close, it is a shame not to finish the job properly! In particular BBC stations in the UK are a must. I presently have to use my Apple TV out to my BDA1 which is a bit of a faff. I also appreciate that Bryston is a small company but please look again at Tunein it is a simply fantastic application.

Kind regards.

Timslim18

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2013, 07:10 pm »
HUGE +1 from me.

I absolutely love my BDP1 and understand it was never intended to be an internet radio. However, this is a very important application for many many people, I feel we are so close, it is a shame not to finish the job properly! In particular BBC stations in the UK are a must. I presently have to use my Apple TV out to my BDA1 which is a bit of a faff. I also appreciate that Bryston is a small company but please look again at Tunein it is a simply fantastic application.

Kind regards.

Huge +1 from me as well.

I have around 38,000 music files on a hard drive attached to my BDP-1 and yet I often find myself listening to internet radio for new material to acquire or just because I am too lazy at certain times to search out music on my drive.

jriggy

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2013, 07:55 pm »
If the BDP played all or most Internet radio, I would most likely move on from the modded SB Touch and join the club!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2013, 02:05 am »
If the BDP played all or most Internet radio, I would most likely move on from the modded SB Touch and join the club!

Problem is that Logitech can eat $20k on the license fee's like its nothing as they sell tens of thousands of units.  We on the other hand would need to increase the cost of the unit by a few hundred dollars per service to implement as our volume is much less.  Hopefully by implementing features like AirPlay (which is suppose to become open source in the near future) customers will be able to make use of these features by using a computer to relay the data to the player via the network.

Cheers,
Chris

Phil

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2013, 02:29 am »
I absolutely love my BDP1 and understand it was never intended to be an internet radio. However, this is a very important application for many many people, I feel we are so close...
+1  the interface is very important.

elothe

« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2013, 10:28 am »
Hi James, Chris,

Before, I've asked to make it case insensitive, because now you have to know how the listing is spelled exactly before being able to find any station. Have you thought about that?
It won't find any of the BBC stations  :scratch:, this is a major amiss, BBC radio 3 is one of the world leading classical radio-stations.

In another thread i've asked about this bbcradio3 stream http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3_aaclca.pls . Please make the BDP support this!

Thanks!
Marius

Dear all

I may have missed the context since this thread is quite old by now. But I do listen to BBC3 almost every day on my BDP-1, so it is perhaps worth reminding ourselves that one can always use the Playlist editor in the Gnome music player (which runs on Windows PCs) to create and store a shortcut (by means of a playlist entry) to any internet radio station (I belive) on the DBP by copying and pasting the URLs from a web browser. The playlist will then show up very nicely in MPad for example.
This procedure sure is fiddly, but it really is fool-proof and a one-time task.

But there is one problem, however, and I wonder of other users have experienced it:
- when I listen to an internet radio station in the evening and then forget to turn it off afterwards, it will invariably "hang" the next morning. The sound will be exactly like a CD player that is stuck somewhere on the disc. The only way to solve the problem that I have found is to reboot the BDP.
Can anyone suggest a way to avoid the problem?

Cheers, Erik

Marius

« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2013, 03:01 pm »
HI Erik,

I had the same issue, and it was resolved by enabling the MPD watch.
In the new manic moose firmware, one cannot select it yet, but in the previous version it was very functional.

Cheers,
Marius

elothe

« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2013, 08:35 am »
It worked! Thanks for the tip.

/e